Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Chrishittie projector tips (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Chrishittie projector tips
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-15-1999 01:51 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a new one guys. After testing very carefully, I have found the P35GPs to have a steadier picture when the intermittent (framing) is raised closest to the gate. The higher they are, the steadier the picture. Apparently, that tremendous amount of "space" between the gate and intermittent sprocket develops slack in the film and appears as a vertical unsteadiness.

Here's the bad part. Raising the intermittent as high as possible will create an oddball size loop that will slap violently and run LOOOOUD! ...but the picture is more steady.

Who else has any more observations/tips?

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-15-1999 05:29 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tried that trick awhile ago and I remember getting worse results than when the framing knob was centered. We have the basement style Dolby Digital readers built in to our projectors and the error rate is much worse this way, indicating more vibration. There should be a better way to get a steadier picture and also be able to leave the intermittent in the correct position. The key words there are "SHOULD BE", but that doesn't mean that htere is with these things!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-15-1999 08:31 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Upon close inspection, I could actually see a "bulge" bouncing in and out between the gate and intermittent. That is what prompted me to try it. It does help, but the projector STILL won't meet SMPTE specs.

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-16-1999 10:11 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was working with the Brand new Christie P35GPS and they seemed to run quite steady and not too loud. Almost quieter than the Century Heads. Maybe all this will happen once they get broken in?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-16-1999 11:30 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is very odd indeed, Paul. I have the P35GPS and each individual projector (we have 16) has it's own set of problems. We have 2 or 3 of them that have a shakey picture, whereas the rest of them do not. We have 12 Dolby Digital basement readers in these things, and 4 of them track perfect 0's and 1's much of the time, whereas the others will hold a perfect 'F' and still not drop out of digital (sounds awful, though). Some of the lamphouses buzz loudly, most do not. They are all unique. You must have gotten a lucky batch. There certainly isn't much in the way of scientific design when it comes to the Chrisite projector. I guess it depends on if Bob was working on the assembly line that day or Bevan! You never know with Christie.

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-10-1999 06:10 AM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it appears that the Christie projectors were made out of about 1000 melted down beer cans... Of course, they were drinking th ebeer as they were desiging the projector...

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-10-1999 04:11 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At first I laughed at your coments, Jim. but then I realized that it is probably TRUE!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-11-1999 02:21 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the new thing on two of our P35GPOS machines is horrible random lateral shaking! This only is happening on Fuji prints.

Everything in the gate is perfectly aligned, and when I swap the entire gate assemblies with another projector, the problem does NOT follow the gate! Any ideas? I'm out.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-12-1999 01:27 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, I know exactly what you are talking about! And it pisses me off! I don't think it is a good idea to have 2 sets of lateral guide rollers. I even see this horizontal shifting running RP40 and it is not just at the splice in the loop. Add this to the uncontrollable picture bouncing and you have one of the worst projected onscreen images in the industry. Has anybody ever cracked open and "Ultra"mittent? Doing so would seem to be the only cure for the picture bounce.

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-12-1999 02:45 AM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you open one of their "Ultra"mittent, they void your warrenty... My theory is that the design flaws in there are even more laughable that the rest of the projector...

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 07-13-1999 10:20 AM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was lucky enough to get a couple of P35C Christies for a song. They are set up just off my living room and the picture is steady as can be. They are reliable and easy to work on and with. I know they are "projectors lite," but they sure work for me.

It is too bad that certain folks can't see past their prejudices. One man's beer cans are made into Christies and anothers made into Centurys. Whatever works, works.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-13-1999 11:26 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Jim,

How old are your machines? The older Christies were actually pretty darned good. What most people are complaining about on this forum is their current line of "goods".

I've ran the geared versions of their P35 and they were very nice. I also ran one of the first gearless machines for a demo (6 months) and the picture was as steady as our Simplex XLs. About 5 years ago I installed a set of them at a 10 screen and those are still running smooth today. HOWEVER, anything much newer than 5 years seem to be junk. I haven't been following Christie's changes "too" closely, but I do know that theater 5 years ago had the older style sounddrum where the edges were raised (so the picture didn't touch the drum) and the newer ones have a sounddrum like the Centurys. (Personally I always liked the idea of the picture not coming into contact with the drum.) I can't honestly say if you have the older style sounddrum if that is a good machine or not, because I don't know when the date was they #1 changed over to the new drum and #2 when they turned to crap.

I would be very interested to know how old your machines are (from manufacture, not when you purchased them), which type of sound drum it has, if they are indeed the "gearless" type and if you run collector's prints on them (mostly being triacetate prints) or if yours are in a public theater running polyestar shows daily. The current Christies run triacetate pretty well, but polyestar on them is a joke. Also, what make/model lamphouse (or a pedestal) is this mounted to? One engineer told me once that a current Christie projector will perform decently on a different brand of lamphouse as it had something to do with the actual mount on the Christie console that was weak. I don't know as I've never tried.

Again, the complaints here are on their machines you could call and order right off the assembly line today.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-13-1999 05:39 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The older Christies, like those found in UA's old corporate screening rooms, ran pretty well. Jims projectors are of the EXACT same vintage. We did have one problem with one of the screening room projectors at UA, however. We usually ran film on projector 2 and changed over to projector one and projector one's take up was bad and would end up mangling the film. That was fixed. If I remember correctly, they were straight gate projectors. I could be a bit fuzzy on this. The gate opened sideways instead of upward. I don't remember any picture shaking. But Brad is right. The newer machines are crap. They don't really work.

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 07-13-1999 06:55 PM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not only are my Christies the same vintage as the UA screening room machines, they ARE the old UA screening room machines. A Stanley, who will go further unmentioned here, made the new owners an offer they couldn't refuse and I was the beneficiary of the deal. They are close to 15 years old out of the factory and when I got them in January 1996, one had 101 hours on it and the other 124 on the ORC-1000's. I was told that the hours were indeed the actual hours on them. These suckers are still tight!

They have the raised edge sounddrums, so nowhere does the image surface come into contact with anything except film. They are belt drives and I use them only at home [all our Telluride Film Festival theatres, seven in all, run Centurys (3) and Brenkerts (4)(!!!)]. Now these don't have the motorized turret or aperture, which is just fine.

The Cristies have custom bases setup for 5000-6000' reels and used to have the film come over the top on rollers that made the film take two 90° turns. This was too much torque on a number of old glue splices so I put some Simplex reel arms on for a straight film shot to the takeup reel. (Joe, the takeup is no longer a mangle problem.)

Most of the film I run is acetate and some goes back close to 50 years. I have some new poly stuff but except for the sound of it going thru the gate, it seems to run just fine. I ran a poly British release print of 12 Monkeys the other night and had no problem.

When the machines were first described to me I was skeptical, but having run them for over three years, they are the perfect home projector. BTW, does anyone know where I can get a parts and operating manual on the heads?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-13-1999 07:14 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Aha! They are the OLDER projectors when Christie was a good name! I figured as much. Consider yourself very lucky, Jim. I always liked the older machines.

Do you want the regular manual or the over-an-inch-thick-"Bible" manual? If there is enough interest, I will see about scanning that sucker in and making it available. The regular manual Christie provides isn't worth the paper it is printed on. There is hardly any part numbers or anything in there at all.

If not, I can photocopy it for you. I don't know how I could survive without it...with all the constant servicing, ya know.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: