Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » STRONG 80 W ITH SWITCHER

Author Topic: STRONG 80 W ITH SWITCHER
Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-31-1999 11:45 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe somebody can answer this one. Got a Strong Ultra 80 (4K bulb) hooked up to a Strong 7K switching rectifier. A wiring harness is provided to connect the two. Other than D.C. and ground, four wires are used. As with a traditional Strong hook-up, the orange and brown feed 110-volts from an internal transformer (in the rectifier) to the lamp. Provided certain conditions in the lamphouse are met, (fan running, door closed, and switches in ON and MANUAL) the 110-volts is fed back down the blue and yellow wires to pull in the rectifier contactor.
When hooked up color-to-color, the single-phase breaker on the rectifier kicks out immediately when the switch is put to the ON position. Eventually, we found that if the blue wire is disconnected, the system works fine. P.S. tried reversing the yellow and blue lines - still no-go. What gives, is the contactor internally conected to the transformer? P.P.S. The arc remains on for about half a second after the power switch is put in the OFF position. Any ideas?

|  IP: Logged

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-02-1999 11:29 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you hooking it up NUMBER-TO-NUMBER?

According to other Strong manuals, this is the color scheme:
Brown to #2
Orange to #4
Blue to #5
Yellow to #6
Pink (or Red) to #3

All of the above attach to the terminal strip located above the DC terminal block on the 62-84000 switching supply.

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-03-1999 01:08 AM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I worked with a strong lamphouse not sure of the model (at the AMC Prestonwood) but I THINK it was an 80 as well that did something similar...but it was hooked up to a Christie power supply...

Art Averett
Film Handler

- posted 09-05-1999 11:09 AM      Profile for Art Averett   Email Art Averett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Though Strong doesn't tell you this but, the switcher power supply is also used with special venue or special effects projection.
Another switch is mounted next to the main power switch which takes place of the contactor which is not supplied in ths power supply. I'll try to get more info for you.

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-08-1999 10:02 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the replies, guys.
It appears that this was not an isolated incident. Another Super 80, another switcher (plug & play type) - same result. If you hook up the blue wire the single-phase circuit breaker kicks out. The adapter was supplied by Strong. Leave the blue wire off and it works fine (except for the arc staying on for three or four seconds after the lamp is switched off. The schematic shows the transformer to be totally isolated from any ground, but I think they lie.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: