Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » NATO Team Studying Print Sheading

Author Topic: NATO Team Studying Print Sheading
Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-01-1999 11:20 AM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Real quick folks . . .
I heard through rummor that NATO has put a team together to study reasons related to powdering of films inside our projectors. They're a little behind the times don't you think! If this is true, then what are the qualifications of the people on the team. I hope they've got some projectionst and lab-techs instead of managers and accountants! I'm sorry if I offend anybody with this statement, but . . . Why are theater owners suddenly concerned about the goings on with TES and film quality. Where I work, the majority owner doesn't even come upstairs. He's content to look at the candy case and ask why we don't carry his favorite snacks.
Perhaps NATO does fear the rise of digital cinema

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-01-1999 12:02 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting. Guess I need to give the NATO guys a demo of FilmGuard. That puts an end to all shedding, regardless of film stock or lab (dye transfer too).

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-01-1999 02:19 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In a few days, I hope to purchase a bottle of this product. I have a vinegar IB print that I want to save!

I've got a reel of nothing but polyester trailers. It leaves a little residue under the intermittant every time I run it. Since I use it as a test reel, I will be the first to notice any scratches, as they were all new when I got them. It will be intresting to see what Film-Guard will do for it.

Bruce

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 09-01-1999 02:25 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Projector abrasion of film and print shedding are affected by many factors. The film stock itself (triacetate vs. polyester, color vs. black-and-white) is a factor.

Proper print lubrication is a major factor --- Kodak processing specifications and SMPTE Recommended Practice RP151 specify that 35mm prints be lubricated to optimize projection wear. Edge-waxing of prints by the labs used to be normal practice, but environmental restrictions on the solvents used have practically eliminated proper print lubrication. Some projectionists have seen significant improvement by lubricating prints.

Projector design and maintenance is a factor --- especially the design, materials, and finish used for the gate rails and intermittent shoe. We have offered assistance to projector manufacturers and suggested changes to reduce projector abrasion that have already shown positive results. Some projectors are much less prone to abrasion problems.

Moisture is a factor, as freshly processed "green" prints or very high humidity can cause the gelatin emulsion to soften and be more prone to abrasion. If the emulsion starts to build up on the hot gate rails, it hardens into a hard "gunk"-like deposit that can further abrade the film. This phenomena has been documented since the 1920's.

In the last ten years, projector abrasion has become an even greater issue because digital soundtrack information is printed in areas of the print that are severely abraded by some projectors. Projector wear and abrasion can significantly increase the error rate, and even cause the sound to default to analog.

Through participation in user groups like this, and feedback at our training seminars, Kodak is very aware of projector abrasion concerns, and has been actively working to further improve the abrasion resistance of both color and black-and-white print stocks. Internal tests of the films on abrasion-prone projectors have been very promising. Millions of feet of film are already being tested by our customers, and more is soon to come. We hope to arrange use of the improved film on complete releases of upcoming movies, so we can accurately measure the performance in "real life" theatres on a wide variety of projection equipment.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-01-1999 06:06 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Please give us details on those new film stocks, John. Enquiring minds want to know!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-13-1999 01:27 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Thought I'd make a post to force this thread back up top.

Does anyone know anything about this squadron of people studying print shedding?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: