Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Projectionist Manuals (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Projectionist Manuals
Anthony Matarazzo
Film Handler

- posted 09-03-1999 05:41 AM      Profile for Anthony Matarazzo   Email Anthony Matarazzo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have a projectionist training manual that I could get a copy of ( from America). Here in Australia there is no projectionist license. I am interested in what kind of training is required to become a projectionist in America.

Kind regards

Anthony Matarazzo

|  IP: Logged

George Roher
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-03-1999 09:58 PM      Profile for George Roher   Email George Roher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
America has rigorous requirements that all new projectionists must meet. They must have two of each of the following: arms, legs, eyes. They must know the correct amount of oil required to keep popcorn from burning. They must be slackers who think $6.00 an hour is a lot of money. And last but not least, they aren't supposed to know anything about film exhibition, 'cause if they do they'll wise up and quit.

But seriously, that above criteria probably only applies to 70% of theatres here. There are still chains stuck with I.A.T.S.E. contracts, nonunion chains that for some reason actually want to hire a decent projectionist, and scattered independents who take pride in their show.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-03-1999 10:54 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm...is "Genuine Century Oil" good for popping corn? I've never tried it, though I have been tempted...
The SMPTE still sells "Motion Picture Projection and Theatre Presentation Manual," which is a nice introduction to the care and feeding of the equipment in a projection booth, and a decent introduction to the basic principles of showmanship. Unfortunately, it's very out of date; it was written in 1969. It's still a good introductory book and is useful as an historical reference for those of us who regularly work with old equipment, but it doesn't cover platters or modern sound systems, both of which are commonplace in many theatres. It barely even touches on long-play reels, xenon lamphouses, and rudimentary automation. Supposedly, this book will soon be updated, although that rumor has been going around for a few years now. I believe that Kodak has some publications that might be interesting as well...I do know that they publish a nice book on film care (which I believe is free for the asking: 1-800-242-2424), and they have some good information on their web site.

David Kilderry
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-12-1999 05:08 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage   Email David Kilderry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The B.K.S.T.S. in the UK produce the best projection manual around. Search for their site and you can order one.

It is one year old and has chapters on all current presentation techniques and refers to Kinotons, Vic 5s etc.

For history and great 1969 drive-in photos, the SMPTE Projection presentation manual mentioned is still my favorite.

Jonas Heijkenskjold
Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2002 06:06 PM      Profile for Jonas Heijkenskjold   Email Jonas Heijkenskjold   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I´m picking up the subject again.....
BKSTS sell their manual for £35.00. http://www.bksts.com/Images.PDF SMPTE now has an updated version, which is the BKSTS version plus a series of articles for $135.00 !!!! click and scroll down

Does anyone have that book and if so, is it worth the price???

Paul Cassidy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2002 06:44 PM      Profile for Paul Cassidy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Cassidy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There used to be a book Called the "Blue Book for Projectionist" of which I have a copy and this is the Book from which you had to pass your Exam by , it covers everything a good projectionist should know (at that time anyway) Basics of electricity , maintinance of speakers, Non sync , setting up of screens (types and recommended Sizes etc)well it covered everything , but not selling Tickets and taking care of Customers.

Paul Harnden
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2002 06:54 PM      Profile for Paul Harnden   Email Paul Harnden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,
That sounds really interesting, do you know where I can possibly pick this book up? Even if it is a little outdated it might come in handy, I'm always learning and would appreciate any help possible. Thanks.

Rory Burke
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2002 07:58 PM      Profile for Rory Burke   Email Rory Burke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wrote a Booth training manual a few years back and I would be happy to share it at no cost what so ever. Proper projection practices are not s secret and should be common knowledge therefore I disagree with selling the subject material. (I know I know...everyone is entitled to make a buck) It includes all aspects of the projection booth including operation, film handling, preventative maintenance, troubleshooting, theater communication <lacks in many theaters>, and even manager and candy girl responsibilities for proper film presentation. If anyone is intersted please let me know. All I have to do is scan them and arrange them on my computer as I haven't done so.

Best regards and keep the film "A'rolling!!!"
Rory
r_rears@yahoo.com

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-15-2002 09:49 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Rory, send the files/pictures to me and I will make a pdf download of it. Email it to manuals@film-tech.com

Paul Cassidy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2002 10:26 PM      Profile for Paul Cassidy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Cassidy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul , I'll bring it out of hiding and see how many pages are in it (as some of the stuff is not relevant Now) and see if I can scan and send ,it is about the size of a good novel.

Paul Harnden
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2002 10:58 AM      Profile for Paul Harnden   Email Paul Harnden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That would be great Paul, I really appreciate it

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2002 03:54 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought my copy of Richardson's Blue Book of Projection (7th Ed., 1942) for $6.95 in the Gotham Book Mart in Manhattan in 1969. Copies were gone from all public libraries. By studying it I was able to pass the NYC licensing exam (written, oral and performance), though the study materials of former exams sold in a Civil Service stationery
shop near City Hall gave me additional confidence. Thus I became eligible for I.A.T.S.E. and 26 years of projectionist work leading to my retirement pension.

I'm curious about the former owners who wrote their names and addresses in my volume:
Johhny Rister, of Abilene, Texas, and
Earl D. Burk, of Stamford, Texas.

Did they ever become projectionists? Where are they now?
How did this book, published by Quigley Publishing Co., of "New York. Chicago, Hollywood, London" travel from Texas to Manhattan?

(BTW--I have seen offers of Richardson for $120 by their owners.
And descendants of projectionists long gone have shown me the incredibly detailed , single-spaced typescripts, constituting highly
prized personal projection manuals, which the old-timers routinely
composed from notes taken during their apprenticeships.)

Jonas Heijkenskjold
Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2002 04:40 PM      Profile for Jonas Heijkenskjold   Email Jonas Heijkenskjold   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don´t hesitate to share those manuals! I for one would love it!

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 02-16-2002 11:05 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We hashed this subject before; search for the topic;
"Books / Training on Projection" here at Film-Tech from 3/20/2000.

Tim Turner
Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2002 09:55 AM      Profile for Tim Turner   Email Tim Turner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of manuals, I just wanted to know if anyone was aware that the "Projectionist Study Guide" on this site http://www.film-tech.com/manuals/PROJECTIONISTSTUDY.pdf is missing pages?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: