Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Do moviegoers care? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Do moviegoers care?
Kenn Fong
Film Handler

- posted 09-16-1999 03:03 AM      Profile for Kenn Fong   Author's Homepage   Email Kenn Fong   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please don't kill me, this is an honest question... Do you pros out there get a sense that customers really notice the difference between a good print and a messed-up one? It wouldn't be your customers since I can tell the readers of this forum all take great pride in their work.

I talk to a fair number of people, and everyone is surprised to hear about cue marks, especially people who have been going to movies for thirty or forty years, so I wonder if they notice other things. And most people don't understand the difference -- and fail to see the benefits -- of letterbox vs. pan & scan.

Recently, I took my niece to see "Runaway Bride" at a monsterplex and there was a vertical scratch that ran the entire length of the movie. The print was dirty and three lab splices were left in. After two months I didn't expect it to look perfect, though.

When I mentioned this to the manager on duty, she acted surprised, although properly respectful of my complaint. This leads me to wonder if, outside of sophisticated people such as ourselves, does anyone else pay attention?

Anyway, I want you to know that I'M payng attention, and I try to always stop and mention it to the manager when I see that the projectionist or operator has taken care of the print after several weeks or months.

------------------
Kenn Fong http://qwertyuiop.net
Screenwriter's Home Page

|  IP: Logged

Stephen Jones 1
Film Handler

- posted 09-16-1999 04:22 AM      Profile for Stephen Jones 1   Author's Homepage   Email Stephen Jones 1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that maybe it's the sense of conviency that may lead people into certain Megaplexes. I pay very close attention to the presentation, usually so much that my girlfriend thinks I'm just picking at nothing. Tonight we watched Stir of Echoes, and besides being a bad movie, the presentation was terrible. The SR was SO much considerably lower than the Digital in respect to volume. The lights went down at the wrong time and the picture started half way into the first trailer and was badly out of frame. It was a flat movie and the framing was so bad that you could almost see the frame line. After about watching five minutes of trailers hoping for the projectionist to fix it, I had to get up and complain (I'm good at this, 'cause I ALWAYS do it at this particular theatre) Then after about a minute of the framing going up and down, it stopped and the 'projectionist' re-threaded it and started it again and STILL out of frame but at least this time he could move the nob enough to center the picture. This kind of thing happens all the time at this UA theatre. We go to it usually because of convience but I ALWAYS get up and complain about something that is ALWAYS wrong. And I ask my girlfriend, "Why do people pay 6.50 and settle for this crap?" "Probably because they don't know any better." Well, all I know is that a presentation complaint at my theatre is a rarity, NOT a routine. And I hope that the reason our theatre does more business than our UA competitor is because people do begin to notice things like that.

Stephen Jones 1
Film Handler

- posted 09-16-1999 04:25 AM      Profile for Stephen Jones 1   Author's Homepage   Email Stephen Jones 1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BTW Kenn, I like your web address. How long did it take you to figure out that one?
I bet you just love trying to tell someone your address.

Art Averett
Film Handler

- posted 09-16-1999 10:37 AM      Profile for Art Averett   Email Art Averett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are some people who do complain, but they should ask for a refund or passes if the presentation is off the screen due to operator error. Of course the "film threaders" give a bad reputation to all projectionist who care about their presentation and dedication to the audience.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-16-1999 03:36 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
People at my theatre sure seem to notice if something has gone astray. If we get in a crappy print that has a scratch, people will complain. They never stop to compliment a good job, however. Although I have heard costumers saying good things about the presentation on their way out of the theatre. We don't wear uniforms, so we look like "normal" people and I can blend in pretty easilly among the crowd if I want to.

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-16-1999 05:27 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't it an interesting thing about being a projectionist? If you are doing you job the way you should, people can forget you exist and get lost in the story on the screen. This is the way it should be. At your best, you are "invisible".

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-16-1999 05:48 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In eight years of operating, I was only complemented once. It was an old man who approached the manager who in turn called me. As I came to the manager's side the old man barked in a loud and mean voice.
"Are you the projectionist!"
"Yes" I responded, kind of scared. Suddenly, his demeanor turned, he shook my hand and said, "You do a great job up there. I thought your work was perfect and because of it I loved that show."
It felt good AND ONLY CAME ONCE. Who said teaching is the only thankless job in the world today!

Kenn Fong
Film Handler

- posted 09-16-1999 08:15 PM      Profile for Kenn Fong   Author's Homepage   Email Kenn Fong   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Aaron. Someone once said doing a good deed is like pissing in a dark suit. When you're finished you feel warm all over, but no one knows what you've done.

Seriously, good service seems so rare nowadays I make a nuisance of myself thanking the person involved, and sometimes going to the supervisor also.

------------------
Kenn Fong
http://qwertyuiop.net
Screenwriter's Home Page

timothy johnson
Film Handler

- posted 09-17-1999 10:22 AM      Profile for timothy johnson   Email timothy johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My freinds and family are always surprised when I say "watch for the dot in the right corner every twenty minutes" and they respond with "I never saw that before" and you wonder if they even see a picture on the screen. These same friends and family record home movies at the slowest speed on their camcorders, precious memories at the worst quality, but it does not matter to them. Very few people in the world are "aware" of the fine details life has. Most people are living zombie consumers who have attention spans of ten seconds and are driven by animal instincts of sex, eating, and down-right complacency. I have learned as a filmmaker that most people (the general publice zombies)Are more involved with
THE STORY and not picture quality or digital sound.So why do they care (the general public) if it's video or IMAX?

Erika Hellgren
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-17-1999 05:15 PM      Profile for Erika Hellgren   Email Erika Hellgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think on a subconscious level, people notice dirt, scratches and imperfections. Some non-technical moviegoers were interviewed after seeing the digital Star Wars presentation and stated that they liked that it was a clean presentation - there was no dirt and no scratches.

I agree very much with Rick that if we are doing our job properly, the customers shouldn't even know we exist. I have always believed that the movie-going experience involves forgetting about the real world and sinking into the movie. If the presentation is as perfect as it can be, and there are no distractions then that allows the audience to experience the movie on it's own terms. It's hard to like a movie that has a huge green scratch down the middle, or is missing footage from a film break, or has scratchy, quiet mono sound. If I finish a whole shift without ever having received a complaint, I give myself a pat on the back for a job well done. I have never received a compliment from a customer, but I almost take THAT as a compliment

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-17-1999 05:52 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good point about how a good film presentation should be "invisible" to the audience.

Strangely (or, perhaps, not so strangely), the only customer who ever complimented me was a retired projectionist...

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-01-2001 06:26 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just before christmas we did the invitational cast and crew screening of Dracula 2000 here at Cinesphere and when it was over the coordinator came up to thank us for a flawless presentation

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-01-2001 07:44 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First, I think most people just don't have the "mental bandwidth"... Not that they are stupid, they just don't SEE things. That's why we; the technicians and projection people; are who we are, and do what we do. We just have the ability to pick up details that other people don't. Things that we see as HUGE problems barely make a "blip" on other peoples' radar.

This is why you shouldn't have "manager-run" booths. They are already overloaded with the day-to-day aspects of the business. It's just too much to ask for them to do the important job that they have taken on AND ask them to do anohter equally important job. Managers have skills and abilities that I could never dream of having. They can look at the day's paperwork and make a conclusion about how well the business is doing or whether they'll need to order more popcorn. It's all gobbledeygook to me. On the other hand I can walk up to a projector and tell if it's running right just by the SOUND of it. People will look stunned and wonder how the hell I knew. To tell the truth I don't know how I knew. I just DID.

Essentially, what this means is that OTHER people DEPEND on us to do our jobs RIGHT!

My second point is that people nowadays seem to EXPECT poor service and will actually go back to places where they have had poor service and LIKE it!

Read the following article from Scientific American magazine entilted "New and Not Improved"

http://www.sciam.com/1999/1099issue/1099inbrief.html

In short, I think we are seeing something that is "endemic" to modern culture. I don't think there is any way that people who profess the superiority of "digital movies" are going to solve this. (If that's what the "powers that be" think they are trying to do by pusing digital projection down people's throats) They are actually BUYING INTO this!

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 01-01-2001 09:04 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I do beleive some people care about the film they are watching and will complain if there are scratches in the film. But as a whole these people are few and far between. Sometimes we get phone calls about a perticular movie and people will ask if it is playing in a stadium theater. So that tells me that all they care about is sitting on stairs not how the movie looks. I have to agree with Randy. A manager should not have to run the booth and do his work to. Although the manager should be trained and able to run the booth if needed. When I mean trained I mean trained not given a crash course in threading.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 01-01-2001 09:22 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It has been said most people don't complain. They just don't come back! (especially if another theater a short distance away has a much nicer presentation.)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: