Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Too many movies!!! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Too many movies!!!
Erika Hellgren
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-29-1999 04:03 AM      Profile for Erika Hellgren   Email Erika Hellgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's with Hollywood lately? Are they spazing out or something? I make it a point to write up a movie release date list for a couple of months in advance since we don't get one sent to us from District, and I'm flabergasted at how many films are being released between now and the end of the year!!! This coming Friday my theatre is getting six titles - eight prints total. That's half our f**king theatre! Talk about a high turnover rate! We are already losing our only print of Dog Park, which just opened LAST WEEK. Granted, it was doing pretty badly, but my God!

Who is greenlighting all these movies? Boy, I can't wait till Oct. 22 when 7 titles are opening - and how about Christmas day, there's almost ten titles opening!

If I were a moviegoer, I'd find it difficult to catch these flicks before they disappear out of the first run theatres. Which brings up another point - my town doesn't really have any second run theatres. It's mostly first runs, with a couple dollar theatres here and there. So, where are these movies going when they leave so fast?

And another problem I have is the whole Technicolor gripe. Since they don't deliver till Thursday, I have to build up eight prints in one shift, not to mention tear two down by midnight for the bastards, and all the other s**t I have to do. This will surely be the fall of film if conditions continue this way. I am only one person - how do they expect me to get these built up properly, and checked for problems? Ug! It's enough to make you burn down the Technicolor depot, and half the Hollywood studios while we're at it!

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-29-1999 07:42 AM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like I said in Joe Redifer's thread, the reason why there are too many movies are just to keep something on the screen at the megaplexes. Thats why you lost "Dog Park" after one week, because there was something waiting-in-the-wings that your booker felt would do better. this is the major reason why 5% of the movies made are great and 95% are s**t!

I sympathize with your problem of eight tear downs on one night. Fortunately, I have experienced assisstants that help me on Thursdays. If it gets bad enough, ask your bosses to take up someone who you know will do the job properly. This helps a lot while one person tears down, and another builds up some of the shows ariving after 10:00 PM.

Finally, and what is this Christmas crap! I hate to see movies open on hollidays. You don't think Tom Hanks goes to the movies on Christmas day, or Steven Speilburg misses an evening with his family during Chanikka. Why do they think I want to pull an eight hour shift in the booth. I love operating, but hollidays are family days. Around here, everything (even a Wal-Mart open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week) closes. Everything, that is, except our theater. I can understand essential businesses and large industrial operations staying open, but a theater, regardless how large, is not one of these businesses!

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-29-1999 10:01 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Erika. Too many movies. Last week our 24 moved 8 out and 5 in. This week it is 6 in and 2 out. This is sure. If we get booked for American Beauty, then at least 8 in.

Cinemark is fighting with the Film Company or whoever about booking. They may pull it altogether if necessary.

One thing I don't like but is necessary is that the Thursday afternoon guys can suddenly find time to spin together a print, but through out the week, can't seem to find time to break down trailer reels from last week.

It is disappointing to see Dog Park down to one show next week (my wife liked it) and Mumford (boring anyway) down to two.

Tom Ferreira
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-30-1999 10:23 AM      Profile for Tom Ferreira   Email Tom Ferreira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know there probably isn't a high opinion of it on this forum, but that's why I find IME so valuable, just to keep up with all the changes and release dates. I realize that they screw up running times and formats, but more often than not, they are correct. For example, this week my booker gave me a running time of 98 min for Three Kings, while the IME listed 111 min. I called Warner Bros to confirm, and it was indeed 111 min. There is also, as far as I know, no other way to determine if the film is flat or scope before release. The booker sure isn't going to volunteer that information.
I also have to agree with the glut of product on Christmas Day. It's selfish and greedy of the studios to force so much product on us in this manner. I could see if one of two 'special' films were released on this day, but this year I believe there's six major releases, including Man On The Moon, which I'm willing to bet runs close to three hours. If the prints were at the theatre a week in advance, I probably wouldn't care, but I'm willing to bet Technicrap sends them out on the 24th.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-30-1999 01:06 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
with the large number of screens there isn't enough films to fill the screens let alone the butts to put in the seats

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-30-1999 01:21 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I too love the IME sheets. I mainly use them for reference when building trailers. I always put the trailer coming out first as the first trailer and then down to the trailer coming out several months down the road as the last one. It prevents having to dig way into the roll of film just to change out a trailer. This way I rarely need to dig past the 2nd or 3rd trailer.

Technicolor started a new policy last year where all "holiday" prints were to have Wednesday shipping dates, so I would expect everyone to receive their prints that extra day early around Thanksgiving and Christmas!

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2001 07:56 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even though I brought this up in Ground Level it's worth repeating here.

Erika is correct. Yes, this Xmas there are too many movies!!! The Lord of the Rings on 12/19, 5 wide releases on 12/21, 2 wide releases on 12/25. If you run arthouse product you have "Oscar Bait" to deal with as well. Also, because Miramax refuses to expand Amelie or In The Bedroom until 12/25 those pictures may get shut out of theaters that actually want 'em.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2002 12:54 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This week and next are the Weekends from Hell.

This week has 6 wide releases. One of them, The Transporter, was delayed a month. Another one, Knockaround Guys, has been on the shelf for almost a year.

Not only that, the New York area gets 3 more movies that are correctly being dumped. What are they? Swept Away (the Madonna remake via Sony), Pokemon 4Ever (via Miramax) and Below (via Miramax). In a display of complete embarrassment, the Loews New Brunswick is getting all 3 of those losers. That megaplex used to go all-out to get upmarket/arthouse pictures. Now it's become "Mainstream Uber Alles". The Reading Cinemas in Manville is also getting Below; to make room Reading has to drop The Tuxedo after only 2 weeks.

Next week there are 3 wide releases, 4 if you're in the Northeast. If you don't run a megaplex where the hell are you gonna put all that product?

At least the Manhattan theaters are more or less booked intelligently so they always have something you want to see.

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2002 02:43 PM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can't complain that there are too many movies during the Christmas season and then also complain that there are too many releases now. The releases that are happening now are being released to avoid the holiday season.

And why do you think Swept Away is going to be a dog? The original Lina Wertmuller film was a wonderful film in its time and I think that casting Adriano Giannini in the role his father originally played, especially since they look exactly alike, was a brilliant move. This isn't going to be a $100 million film or anything, but I think there is potential for this film to do very well. (Now, I haven't seen it yet, so I might change my mind after seeing it and/or reading what the critics have to say.)

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2002 02:56 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I work at a nine screener and this week we have seven movies coming in and eight movies going out.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 10-09-2002 03:06 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe that SANTA CLAUSE 2 is opening as early as November 1.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2002 03:51 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And why do you think Swept Away is going to be a dog?

A review from Newsweek Magazine:
http://www.msnbc.com/news/817451.asp

(plus the fact Sunday's ad in the LA Times wasn't full-page, as is the norm for any other major studio film, even the biggest clunkers).

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2002 04:08 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A pre-release review this week in the Village Voice also hints that Swept Away is a dog.

The AMC Hamilton is getting Swept Away and Pokemon 4Ever as well; that megaplex drops Igby Goes Down and One Hour Photo to make room.

Loews is playing Secretary, Spirited Away and Igby Goes Down -- in Manhattan. In years past those 3 movies would have been in New Brunswick as well. Also, the Loews New Brunswick got One Hour Photo only because The Transporter was moved back. That's what I hint at by "Mainstream Uber Alles".

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 10-09-2002 06:29 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Charles, Do you know that when you come into New York City your picture is posted in every box office from the Bronx to Staten Island and yes, that includes Brooklyn, Queens and Manhattan. The studio's and distributor's have put a bounty on your head. So I beg you to stay away for awhile, go to Philadelphia or better yet visit Steve in Baltimore. If they do catch you ...don't worry I will sneak a Baby Ruth into you.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 10-09-2002 07:45 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You have pictures of Charles?! Amazing!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: