Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Delphi.com and spamming ads

Author Topic: Delphi.com and spamming ads
Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 10-08-1999 12:53 PM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I sort of liked cruising Delphi.com (the movie portion) to see what was going on, then, for the first time, I started getting spammed by all kinds of commercial email. Unlike Film-Tech, Delphi is unabashedly a very, very commercial site and I suspect it is cruised by commerical interests and maybe even its user list sold to commerical users. Since I stopped visiting it a couple of months ago, the spamming stopped. Anyone else have this experience or similar?

|  IP: Logged

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-08-1999 01:34 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I had the same results, but I don't get as much spam. I visit Delphi.com Motion Picture Exhibitor's Forum everyday.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-08-1999 04:12 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's the joy of Film-Tech! You require a legitimate e-mail address and a real name to register, which is a very good thing because it keeps potential troublemakers who go by handles like "Filmboy" out of the picture. But, you have the option of keeping your e-mail address private if you are afraid of spamming or flaming.

I do not keep my e-mail private and have had no problems with this group. And with Brad doing such a great job of moderating the place, I don't see that changing in the future. I guess that's just what happens when you get a bunch of mature, intelligent individuals together who like to talk about a common interest.

Ky Boyd
Hey I'm #23

- posted 10-08-1999 06:33 PM      Profile for Ky Boyd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been an active member of the Exhibitors Forum that Jeff Knoll runs on Delphi for over a year now and have not had a problem with spam (so far, and I count my self very fortunate in that regard). I have not visited any other Delphi forums, so there may be problems in other areas of Delphi. Jeff is a strong advocate of his forum and will take member issues to them, so you might want to send him an e-mail (you can reach him via his company's www.encorecinemas.com site).

Just also wanted to say the two places I visit every day are here at Film-Tech and the Motion Picture Exhibitors forum.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-09-1999 07:28 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just erased 9 pieces of spam. I never got any until I started visiting Delphi.com a couple of weeks ago. Wonderful. More spam.

Christopher A Kerr
Film Handler

- posted 10-11-1999 12:33 PM      Profile for Christopher A Kerr   Email Christopher A Kerr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I manage one of Jeff Knoll's Theatres and check out his forum everyday. I have never recieved any spam that I can attribute to visiting a Delphi forum.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: