Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Losing level with high-brighness l.e.d.'s (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Losing level with high-brighness l.e.d.'s
Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-29-1999 05:34 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In two seperate multiples, using high-brightness l.e.d.'s for the Simplex optical sound-head, I have noticed a major decrease with light output. This was noticed, during a recent service visit when checking Dolby level with a C.N. 69T film. (I set them for Dolby level during the installation).

In most cases, I had to remove the links from the solar-cell preamp in order to acheive Dolby level and leave any headroom.

Current was checked and was found to be at (or slightly below) the manufacturer's recommendation of 450 mA for the optical l.e.d.

As I mentioned, switching the pre-amp gains to HIGH cured the problem for now, but my concern is whether they will continue to dim.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-29-1999 06:24 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In answer to your question...Yes they will continue to dim.

We have been using/testing the visible LEDs since prior to their inception. The first ones are still going at about 9000 hours of multiplex use.

What I have found is that the biggest change occurs over the first 3000 hours and then the dimming gets more gradual.

When you put them in new, start off with the current set to minium on the LED (may sound obvious but many people did not). Go ahead and start off with the links removed on the reader board (more gain). On Component Engineering power supplies, they just started sending out the supplies so they will put out very low current at their minimum position (as in you may not be able to achieve level without raising it a bit). I only give the LEDs enough current to barely go over Dolby-Level (top red LEDs lit on a CAT. 222 for instance).

During that first 3000 hours check you Dolby Levels about every month or so...then step it down to about every 6-months.

At this point, the 15,000 hour claim looks doable for analog.

The jury is still out on switching the LEDs on and off when the projector isn't running. The is a toss up of shocking the LED over saving the intermission time of just buring the LED. If you choose to switch the LED on and off, put a follower relay on your motor circuit (it must be on BEFORE you need sound, particularly on digital) and switch the AC input to the LED power supply. This will give the LED a soft start so as not to shock it. By having the power supply come on with the motor, the electronics will have stabilized prior to the changeover opening.

Presently, the LED current needed to achieve good Dolby Digital video is higher than that for analog so I feel that the digital LEDs will not make 15,000 hours. At about 2 volts p-p on the perforation burst, the Dolby digital reader will be failure prone. At 4-4.25 volts p-p you stop benefitting from increased illumination (on the LED system). If you don't mind a little higher error number and turing the LEDs up more often, you can start them in the 3-volt range.

Steve

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-29-1999 07:15 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent tips, Steve. I too routinely adjust the leds on an new retrofit for minimum output. I've always been able to achieve far above what is needed for Dolby tone level. Thus far, none of them have needed to have their current increased. All of the ones I have installed have been Kelmar retrofits.

I do not like the basement reader idea at all. It takes away the possibility of moving that DA20 to another house and they just aren't very reliable. I ALWAYS recommend going with a penthouse reader and have never had one of those fail.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 10-30-1999 12:41 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had three Cat700 readers fail, all of them in the power supply, two of the three with the now-legendary 'crispy charred lamp plug' problem, and another with a problem in the receptacle that the IEC side of the power cord plugs into. All easy fixes, but of course until they got fixed there was no SR*D those shows

And I agree, Kelmar basement readers *suck*

Aaron

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-30-1999 03:07 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have basement readers at my theatre and we move our DA20's all over the place almost every day! Well, nearly every week, anyway.

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-30-1999 03:34 AM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am having this problem, probably, on my Christie SRD basement readers. Basically, we are getting very high error rates an frequent drop outs. According to Christie, it was because our voltage was too low, but we increased the voltage to the max, and it had no real effect. My next project, I guess it to replace the LED assembly with the spare I have and see if that fixes the problem. If this is the case, however, I am not looking forward to replacing these $400.00 assemblies once a year...

Scott Shepard
Film Handler

- posted 10-30-1999 05:13 PM      Profile for Scott Shepard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jim,
I noticed a very high error rating with the basement readers for the Christies. Also many dropouts also. Tried all the adjustments including belts, LED etc. You might want to go over to Cat 701 penthouse readers. That would probably take care of all your problems.
Scott

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-31-1999 01:25 AM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am sure it would... Getting corporate to pay for them would require an act of God....

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-31-1999 11:32 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It may also be misalignment of the reader I have found the alignment of the led to get an even illumination very criticle

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-31-1999 01:56 PM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The LED is in the same assembly as the one for analog, and we have had no problems with the alignment in analog. I also don't know how 5 of these readers would get knocked out of alignment within a 3 week time period.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-31-1999 04:26 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK. I have read alot about these high-brightness LED's and the gradual failures that you guys are talking about. On the $400 boards, what goes bad... the LED itself, or something on the board?

Why are there not LED sockets for easier replacement after the failure? Seems like this would make your lives easier.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 10-31-1999 10:38 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bruce:

It is almost always the LED itself that gradually loses brightnes ( and the current drops proportionally as well) The current can be brought up to increase the brightness, but only to a certain point before the power supply maxes out and can;t produce enough current to keep the LED at the proper brightness, or the LED itself fails.

Why not a 'socketed LED' that can be plugged right in? I cannot really say, except maybe for the fact that alignment of the LED is very critical, especially for digital, and i figure a socket will get 'sloppy' with time and become impossible to align maybe? Who knows?

The LED assemblies for Kelmars can be replaced by replaceing the arm that has the LED assemblies in them and rewiring the LED arm to the power supply, If set up properly in the first place, it should'nt bee too difficult to do, however of course you must completely realign both digital and analog for optimum performance.

SDDS LED arrays fail in a similar fashiion as well, usually after 10k hours of constant use.

Aaron

Bill Purdy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-01-1999 12:08 PM      Profile for Bill Purdy   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Purdy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At ShowEast, two weeks ago, Dolby called a meeting of all of us OEM users of their 660 nanometer LEDs. Their purpose was to get our feedback and bring us up to date on what they are discovering about these little jewels. It is important to remember that this is all new stuff and every one of us is still in the learning stage.

Dolby currently has a long running test going in which large quantities of the LEDs are operating continuously and having their light output measured regularly. What they are learning is that for many of the LEDs there is an initial instability which ususally means an early drop in output, but in some cases there has been an increase. This seems to settle out after about 30 hours. Following this, for most units there is a long and gradual decline in light output, but for a very few rogue pieces there is a much more rapid fall-off. So far, they have plotted each of their test LEDs for 500 hours and they are well on their way to 1000 hours. While this is a long way from the 10 to 15 thousand hours we are all hoping to enjoy, the trends are becoming clear. It seems to be Dolby's intention to try to establish criteria which will make it possible for them to cull the potential problems out before they ship.

So, what does this mean to you today? It means that you should go back and review Steve Guttag's response. The big enemy is heat, so run those LEDs at the lowest current you can and still achieve Dolby level for your analog, and 2.5 to 3 volts of video for your SRD.

I am sorry to be so long winded, but there are some other issues in this discussion that I might be able to shed some light (at 660 nm) on. First, however, PLEASE understand that my comments apply only to Component Engineering's readers. I have no right or authority to speak for anyone else's.

Our power supplies are Current regulated, therefore, the voltage has no meaning. It is whatever the LED wants. Current regulation helps to assure that the light output will stay stable longer and will compensate for the pop corn oil that gets into connections. We recommend an initial setting of about 150 mA for analog, and 400 to 450 for SRD.

We also recommend that the power supply be switched on and off with the motor. You must be muted, though, because while the power supplies do soft start, there will be a thump because the LED responds so quickly. Also, the bipolar pre-amp supply needs a second or so to stabilize. For SRD there is also the matter of establishing signal presence which Steve mentions.

The LEDs in our mounts are plugged in and can actually be removed while in place. It takes a short #1 Phillips screw driver and care, but it can be done and the alignment should be good enough for you to finish the shift with OK sound. This brings up the matter of LED alignment. The light from these LEDs is a very thin band which is quite wide, but not at all high. It is very important that you optimize the vertical adjustment because it will make a major difference in how much current you need to run.

I have rambled on long enough so I won't go into the digital stuff right now, but you are invited to check out <www.componentengineering.com> where you can find a good description of how to set these up. You can also find more on how to change the gain setting on the analog pre-amps.

------------------
Bill Purdy
Comonent Engineering

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-01-1999 02:08 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Bill. One clarification though, when you say you want the power supply to receive current when the motor is on, I am assuming you mean when the movie is running. Many operators thread their film and "motor down" the leader to a certain point. Some operators also like to "bump" the motor button to get a precise cue (certainly not something I recommend). I worked a booth once where the slide projector was wired to a relay controlled by the motor and those bulbs didn't last long at all with all the constant on, off, on, off, on, off every show. That can't be good on your led power supplies. Many automations do have a feature to turn the exciter lamp on and off with the douser, and wiring this through the ac line of the power supply will do that trick.

Is that more specifically what you meant? I'd just like to get a bit more clarification.

Thanks.

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-01-1999 05:14 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for your reply, Bill. It's always good to hear from the people who engineer the product.

Since the Dolby will still be in non/sync mode when the motor is activated, I assume the "thump" caused by the l,e,d, turn-on will not be a performance problem (likewise for the point at which the motor turns off).
I assume also, that the power supply will have plenty of time to stabize during the seven or so seconds between motor start and dowser open.

Brad brings up a very good question about the habit some operators have of "inching" down the film to a cue point. Although we discourage this, old habits are hard to break.
However, since you advocate the switching of the unit off during intermission anyways, may we assume that this will not be a problem?

Once again, thak you for your input.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: