Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » The "Ideal Theatre"

Author Topic: The "Ideal Theatre"
Christopher A Kerr
Film Handler

- posted 10-30-1999 12:09 PM      Profile for Christopher A Kerr   Email Christopher A Kerr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What would you think is the "ideal" working conditions? Would it be a megaplex with thousands of staff and all the newest equipment, or a one screen independant with a total staff of ten ushers, and a manager/projectionist running changeovers on 50 year old century Cs and carbon arcs?

I work for a small indy theatre and only have a few staff and older equipment, but I feel that our emphasis is more presentation oriented than some of the bigger chains that try to dazzle patrons with arcades and restaurants in the lobby and let the focus drift away from the on screen experience.

I see some members here who do work for large megaplex's and care greatly about their presentation, but am sorry to say that this is not the impression that I get when I visit some local theatres run by the big corporations(no names, but their initials are AMC)

Equipment wise, I can get a better image out of my WW2 era centurys than I've seen any where else, and because I don't have all the fancy equipment and shiny new toys, I get a great sense of accomplishment from my job.

Am I some sort of masochist? Does any one else agree with me that bigger isn't allways better?

|  IP: Logged

Stefan Scholz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-30-1999 01:55 PM      Profile for Stefan Scholz   Author's Homepage   Email Stefan Scholz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Christopher, I am also running single screen. We do use old projection equipment, Norelco AA, and Bauer U2 in the other place, but offer latest sound systems, as this is a digital age. Patrons unfortunately prefer to go to the mega complexes with arcades, shopping and food function, the PizzaHuts with movie halls, but tend see a picture at my places "if it is worth to see with picture and sound".

Of course the larger theatre was the first purpose built Todd AO theatre worldwide, and therefore after 43 years still looks extremely modern, with little refurbishments.
Projection is the major task, people come here to see a film.
We are tempted to go back to x-over projection, as this together with skilled (union) operators would ensure high class presentations, but I believe we will soon be called old fashioned.
Some years ago, I talked to patrons that said, we know who's preparing meals at our local restaurant, so we know whom to blame, if the taste isn't allright. The same applies to you folks, we like to return here.
I believe better presentation makes a difference, and is not depending on modern equipment, except sound.
And sound does matter. If you get away from 2 way boom box speakers with biamping to real 4 way systems, correctly set up, you'll notice a huge difference. Why do we still install electronically "corrected" and biamped 2 way systems in most theatres, even with a wrong type of hf horn? Not for quality, just for price.

With indy theatres we have a chance to swim against the stream, and I feelaudiences could see a difference.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 10-30-1999 02:27 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the answer to most of your questions are: it depends, it depends, it depends.

I saw "Close Encounters" and "Apocalypse Now" on (each film's) opening night at the Zigfeld in NYC. There was a big crowd; it was cool... and that was a great experince.
I recently saw "Sixth Sense" in a small theater with only a few (100 or so) people, and that was cool, too.

(I feel like I'm quoting that song from the group Everclear..) I've seen a film ("The Sting") run by a guy doing 20 min. changeovers with 1932 Centurys and carbon arcs. Nine months later, that film went out as perfect as when it came in. I saw a film destroyed on it's first showing by a really nice Norleco AAII and AW3 platter because it was threaded just a little bit wrong.

I knew a guy who kept a perfect booth, but insisted on using that opaque tape.

Etc, etc, blah, blah......

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-30-1999 02:47 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good question; here's my ideal theatre (which I hope to find someday!):

Exterior: the theatre should be an older single-screen house, probably built in the late 1920s or early to mid 1930s. It should be located downtown in a major city. It should be attractive and have a traditional theatre marquee with plenty of matching letter sets in different sizes. There should be several poster cases for current and upcoming films, with showtimes and dates prominently displayed. There should be printed schedules available for customers to take home with them.
Lobby: The lobby should be large and fairly ornate. Concessions are fine, but should be limited to popcorn, a limited candy selection, and beverages. Popcorn should be made with coconut oil, topped with real butter, and served in buckets (not bags, which are noisy in the theatre and tend to leak). The manager should be present in the lobby on most nights and should know his regular customers by name. Ushers, cashiers, and concession people should wear tuxedos or at least nice-looking sportcoats.
Theatre: There should be 500-1000 seats on the main floor and a balcony with additional seats. The interior should be ornate, not gaudy, and fully restored (or kept up in good enough condition that it doesn't need restoration). Seats should be original if possible or else modern seats which are roomy and comfortable with plenty of legroom. The floor should be gently sloped. If the building was built in the silent era, there should be a theatre organ for silent film accompaniment and pre-show performances. Walk-in music should relate to the feature being shown (traditional French music for French films, etc.) No slides or other advertisements should be shown in the theatre. There should be big red curtains in front of the screen. The screen itself should be matte-white, about 40-50' wide, shallow-curve type, with side masking to go from 1.66 to scope and top masking to go from 1.66 to Academy. The entire interior should be spotlessly clean.
Booth: the booth should be kept as original as possible, but with the latest equipment needed to provide top-notch presentation. The booth should have 16mm, 35mm, and 70mm capability, with lenses and aperture plates for all picture formats. The projectors should be old, probably Century JJs or Norelcos. The 16mm projectors should probably be Eastman 25's. Lamphouses can be either carbon-arc or xenon and should be capable of getting at least 16fl of light on the screen for all formats. Sound equipment should support all formats--16mm/35mm/70mm optical and mag, DTS/Dolby Digital/DTS-70, Dolby A, Dolby SR, etc. Amps and speakers should be either new or refurbished old equipment. Lenses should be new ISCO's for all formats. House lights should be controlled with an old resistance-type dimmer board. There should be a separate sound system for microphone use (for speakers who introduce films, etc.). There should be plenty of old dater tags and other fun oddities for use when making up trailer reels.
Programming: should change several times per week, as noted on the printed schedules. Short subjects should be shown before every feature. Features should include the best current, classic, mainstream, art, and independent films--everything from "Star Wars Episode I" to "Alphaville" to "Nosferatu." Silent flims should be shown regularly with live accompaniment and with variable-speed projection. The booth should be equipped for nitrate screenings. "Rocky Horror" should be shown at least once a year. Other midnight shows should also be run. IB Tech and 70mm should be shown as much as possible and noted as such on the schedule. Locally-produced features and shorts should be shown regularly. Childrens' matinees should be run on weekend afternoons. Films should be introduced by their directors, stars, or producers whenever possible.
Employees: There should be at least two ticket-sellers, a ticket-taker, several concession sellers, and several ushers (to seat latecomers, though no one should be admitted after the feature has begun). Projectionists should be the best available, paid well, and appreciated by management. The working environment should be such that people will enjoy working there.
Prices: I'd pay $10 a ticket if the place was this good, but that's probably unreasonable. Let's say $5 a ticket. Less for children, seniors, etc. Concession prices should be reasonable. There should be discount-cards or some other way for regular customers to purchase discounted tickets.
Management: the theatre should be locally owned and operated, with the manager doing his own booking, based on what the local customers want to see.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-31-1999 12:50 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Definately a single screen with Brenkerts and carbon arc lamps. The theater should have a traditional 2 sided 'projecting' marquee with border chasers. Auditorium absolutely MUST have a balcony. There should be 3 sound systems: digital for the latest releases, tube system for the classics, and a seperate public address system for guest speakers on the stage.
All the light fixtures and Exit signs should be of the art deco style, too.

Stephen Winner
Film Handler

- posted 10-31-1999 08:22 AM      Profile for Stephen Winner   Author's Homepage   Email Stephen Winner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like you are describing they Byrd here in Richmond. We can play 16mm, 35, & 70. We don't have any digital sound, but do have surround with our Altec A4's. We are a dying breed still running carbon arc's. I haven't heard anybody else here mention running carbon arc's.

We do have brenkerts, but not for 35mm projection, our Brenograph FT, and our follwow spot, model C14. All are still carbon's.

We don't quite have the spacious lobby you mentioned, but it does cover 2 floors which helps out. Our concession stand sells these really good cookies which are baked by a carytown bakery right up the street. They are about the size of a music CD! We change our films on a weekley basis, and we frequently show cartoon shorts before the feature. The really cool thing is our 15 min organ concert on the Wurlitzer before the Saturday shows! Nobody ever mentioned a good pipe organ in their ulitmate theater (hardly a necessity, but definitely adds to the presentation!)

Running changeovers, and carbon arc's, I can definitely say that it keeps us projectionist alert. Since there's only 1 screen to worry about, mishaps and problems are usually caught before they stop the show. We are set up for nitrate screenings, but I don't think a nitrate film has been run here in 15 years at least! You can't forget our Westinghouse light board either!

Stephen Winner
Film Handler

- posted 10-31-1999 08:26 AM      Profile for Stephen Winner   Author's Homepage   Email Stephen Winner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't say the byrd is the best theater in town, although with seating for 1400, and bright acoustics, and big screen really make you feel you're in a place special. Our bathrooms are way too small, and we don't meet ADA requirements for handicapped patrons. The first floor is wheelchair accessable though. The place needs a little cleaning up, but is in pretty good shape.

We don't have any digital sound, which I think would really add to the good acoustics of the place. But I don't want to give up our tube amps, and A4 speakers

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-31-1999 09:44 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the Byrd comes very, very close to my concept of the ideal theatre. Basically, I want something with the charm of the Byrd, the perfectionist management attitude of the Senator (Baltimore, MD.), the picture and sound quality of the Uptown (DC), and the programming of the Film Forum (NYC). Needless to say, I haven't found this combination yet.

I'm currently living in Boston, where we have a serious lack of decent theatres. All of the big "old" ones are gone (exception: Coolidge Corner in Brookline, which was original a single but now has a walled-off balcony for a second screen) and the others are typical 1970s/1980s-era soul-less multiplexes or hacked-up singles. The Cape Cinema (where I have been a fill-in projectionist) and the Academy of Music in Northampton are both decent (and both still burn carbon!), but either one is a two-hour drive from the city! The IOKA Theatre in Portsmouth, NH is also a nice place, though they show first-run films almost exclusively.

The ideal drive-in should probably also be mentioned: it should be a single-screen, capacity should be 200-500 cars, films should always be second-run double-features with cartoons and intermission reels thrown in, and there should be in-car speakers powered by tube amps (and FM stereo broadcast as well). The booth should be old and run-down-looking with Brenkerts or old Simplexes with liquid-cooled gates and those monster Ashcraft carbon-arc lamphouses (the ones with the really thick positives that last only 30 minutes or so). The screen tower should be fairly high and tilted slightly downward and coated with proper screen paint. There should be car-ramps ("humps") for optimal viewing angles. The rear of the screen should have a huge blinking neon sign in some art-deco design that advertises the theatre.

George Roher
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-31-1999 11:09 AM      Profile for George Roher   Email George Roher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll agree with Scott's description of the ideal theatre. Except instead of the shallow-curve screen, I want a deep-curve strip screen and deep-curve corrected lenses. The ideal theatre should also have multiple booths and the ability to revive the 3-strip Cinerama process.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-31-1999 08:29 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Forgot to mention CURTAINS! Theater must have TWO curtains: one would be a "title" curtain and the other would be a "Grand Drape". They would both be of the 'draw' type.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: