Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Porthole size preference (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Porthole size preference
Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-02-1999 09:39 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen alot of new theaters built with these huge living room sized port glasses.

I like a seperate projector porthole and observation port. The projector port should be 12" by 12". Same for the observation port.
I like to turn on some lights in the booth to see what I'm doing without having lights shine out into the auditorium and bothering everyone.

What's everyone's preference?

|  IP: Logged

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 11-02-1999 10:26 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ours are 16" x 16", the THX type (two peices of glass on an angle.) I like this size: I just put a peice of thick black poster paper with the exact cut-out for the projector image on the window. This keeps stray light from going through, but if you change projectors, you can cut out another peice. And there's plenty of room for different height pedastals. Also, it's pretty handy to have a large enough window to remove and lean out of. At another theater, the guy there made a nice sort of bellows that sticks a little on the inside and outside. This keeps a work light from shining down on people almost directly under the port.

In the carbon days (here in my state) the law was: no port will be larger than 144 sq inches. At an old theater we had, the port was 12" square. But when we twined it, we needed a much shorter focal length lens, so we had to shim the projector height high enough to fit the image through.

Chris Erwin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-02-1999 10:45 PM      Profile for Chris Erwin   Email Chris Erwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you want to know why big,new mutliplexes, put big port windows in their theateres? It's so people like us can see what they're doing up there, so we know what's wrong before we complain!

But, seriously, I work in a house that has 12 x 12 ports with seprate viewport. It's fine with me. The house was built with changeover and has two port/view combos, and both are open and uncovered. I have to watch about the booth lighting so it doesn't bother patrons when I'm in the booth.

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-02-1999 10:50 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just wish the geniuses who design these port-holes would remember someone has to clean the glass on both sides.

George Roher
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-02-1999 11:15 PM      Profile for George Roher   Email George Roher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also don't like the larger ports. One theatre in my area has large ports in the smaller houses and the customers walk right up the ports and bang on them when they want the volume adjusted, etc. Also, operators can't have even a shred of light in the booth until the shows are out, which means hauling a print that has to be broken down to another booth with more light.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-03-1999 12:47 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Ken. I like seperate ports because sometimes I have to turn on a light by the projector for one reason or another. I don't like to run the booth in complete darkness.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 11-03-1999 09:35 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the Lowes Astor Plaza in NYC, the booth is just a glass wall on three sides, starting about 3 feet up from the floor. The booth sticks out into the auditourium, with it's floor level only about 3 ft higher than the auditourium itself. That guy has no privacy at all. You can seat in the rear seats, and see the rear of the lamps. The glass is slighty tinted.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-03-1999 09:45 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where's a good place to buy glass? In my case I have to have more rrom between the wall and the projector because of the short throw and the mtrs out front (Norelco AA) So I need wider glass.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-03-1999 09:57 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I figured that the Megaports were born out of people that just couldn't figure out where to place the port in relation to the projector and screen thus said "if I make it big enough, it is bound to get out no matter where I put it!"

I think the port size should be in harmony with the image going through it. If a 12x12 does it, fine, then 15x20 or 18x18 should cover just about any of the rest. The view ports, which I think should be separate, should be 12x12.

Projection ports should be on _CLEAR_ coated glass (particularly if it is of the new double glass design)

As to the light in the booth. Most booths are put in nowadays with florescent fixtures which just aren't needed or desirable. The projection equipment should be lit with "bullet" fixtures that can be aimed to the work area, not the audience. Any wall behind a port should be painted BLACK. The overhead lighting should either be down-light or even better, indirect and reflected off the cieling so you have plenty of light in the work area and none going out the ports (except for the projection beam, hopefully).

The front walls of the booth (providing that there isn't a set of ports on the other side) can be painted a bright color to help with lighting.

Steve

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 11-03-1999 11:11 AM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to see that we have seven screens for the Telluride Film Festival. All our booths are permanent installations and since we do substantial productions for all our programs, I want the booth glass as large as possible so those in the booth can see what is going on down on the floor. We have to be careful with light pollution, but it's worth it in order for everyone to be on the same production page.

But, since in much of the world it seems as if the last thing many projectionists do is look at the screen, why isn't there a move to make the ports larger so the operator can easily see the screen to check for picture quality. I know they are supposed to, but I've been in so many theatres that the film has come up in the wrong format, out of frame or out of focus, it seems that if there is anything that can be done to get operators to look at the screen it should be employed. Work lights can be designed to reduce pollution into the auditorium and glass can be properly fitted to reduce noise pollution.

Look at it this way, when you're driving a vehicle, the larger the windshield, the better your vision. Don't smaller ports simply turn an operator inward and make him/her even less aware of the world outside? If ports were larger as a standard, operators would have to be more careful and aware of the audience.

I'm not talking about the "Brad Miller Level of Attention," I'm talking about the other 90% of America's screens.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-03-1999 12:16 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jim,

The Telluride Film Festival has big port glass because there could be a wide variety of formats shown. Let's see, in the last 3 years, the Festival has shown 16mm, 35mm, 35mm double system, 35mm two projector 3D, 70mm, 70mm two projector 3D, video with the Digital Projection 8GV, Video with the projector hung on the basket ball bracket, slides and some sort of 18th century oil lit glass plate slide thingy. Did I miss anything?

New slogan for next years tech T-shirt.

Vespucci Pictures Tech Crew,
We change film formats more often than we change our underwear.

It makes a lot of sense to have the large port glass. I noticed in the new Chuck Jones Cinema that you purchased a 7' long optically perfect sheet of glass. I heard it cost 7 large. It looks great. I know that at the festival we spend a lot of time chasing down all stray light. As evidence look at all the cardboard that I have taped on to the projectors at Minnie.

The large port glass may be beneficial when theatres start the transition to electronic cinema. But that would be an infinitesimal cost saving.

I prefer to have two small projection ports for all the reasons Joe mentioned. It is good to be able to turn on the lights in a commercial booth in order to troubleshoot.

In the theatre that I am about to take over, there are small ports that are home made. You know the type; they are two pieces of ½ x ½ inch wood strips in which glass from the hardware store has been slid. The glass is scratched and there is a half-inch gap between the glass and the top of the frame. I am sure you can hear the projectors out in the auditoriums. I'll just have to add new port windows to the list of improvements we are going to have to make.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 11-03-1999 02:53 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like the larger ports becasue with 17+ machines, you can walk down the row and check them all pretty quickly. In fact, it gets to be 'second nature' when you walk down the hall. You almost automatically check the screens without thinking of it. I can't tell you how many times I've been walking down the hall, talking to the boss, etc. and stopped dead in my tracks... "OOPS! Gotta tweek the focus... Just a sec..."

If you don't like light pollution, you can go downstairs to the lobby and 'appropriate' a couple of those red tubes for the fluorescent lights. We have one house where the fluorescent hallway light shines into the theatre and that's what we did. It works pretty well.

All of our proj. have a fluorescent light overhead and a 'can' light pointing to the proj. head. We can pull the chain and have the can turned on without the fluo. Of course we turn out both lights during the show. Only the hall light (recessed cans) stays on. We don't have much problem with stray light. (Except for the one I mentioned.)

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 11-03-1999 09:49 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer the larger port windows mainly for the option of being able to stick a 16mm or video projector right beside the 35mm machine and not have to deal with finding a place to throw the special format from.. Plus it hearkens back to my childhood when I used to look up and watch the projectionist at the drive-in running the projectors thru the hyuge picture-window sized glass above the snack bar... There will always be projection-curious kids and adults and IMO i have no problem with letting them see!

Aaron

Michael Cunningham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-06-1999 07:54 AM      Profile for Michael Cunningham   Email Michael Cunningham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I work at the newest theatre in Anchorage and, of course, we got stuck with the new 4' x 6' port windows. My main issue with these monstrosities is cleaning. What used to take me about five minutes all told (clean inside, open, clean outside), now requires me to come in at 8AM so that I can haul a ladder around to each theatre!! Stray light is also a problem as even the "aimable" spots can shed light down into the theatre and our Strong lamphouses are poorly built and shed light through all their seams.

Chris Wootten
Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2003 08:30 AM      Profile for Chris Wootten   Email Chris Wootten   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer the "smaller the better" ,with separate portholes for the projector, and the operator. Any stray light that enters the theatre is a distraction for the customers and ruins the "experience" we work so hard to provide. [beer]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: