Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Shakey Picture on Century Projector (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Shakey Picture on Century Projector
Sara Serine Orton
Film Handler

- posted 12-02-1999 12:51 AM      Profile for Sara Serine Orton   Email Sara Serine Orton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's me the college projectionist! Just recently I've noticed massive shaking in our picture... I found a post talking about adjusting the tension on the gate and stuff. I did this and it's still shaking.
I have a cenutry projector... I don't have the model number here.... once again ... bad Sara!

HELP ME!

|  IP: Logged

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-02-1999 12:56 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Make sure the gate is clean with no build up of crud on anything. Sometimes the gate doesn't close all the way. Also check to make sure the intermittent oil level is ok.

The FRAME knob isn't turned all the way in one direction is it?

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 12-02-1999 01:06 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hiya Sara

Is your picture shake up and down or sideways?

------------------
John

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-02-1999 01:33 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sara,

Like Ken said, the first thing you should do is clean the projector.

1... Pay special attention to the film "trap" and "shoe". Make sure there's no crud on any of the bands or rails, etc. It looks like hard, baked on black stuff, sometimes. Use your favorite projector cleaning fluid and a Q-Tip. (90% Isopropyl/rubbing alcohol is easy to get at just about any drug store for about $1) You may have to use your fingernail to scrape it clean, too. (A PLASTIC scraper may help)

2... Check the lateral guide rollers at the top of the trap. They should be clean and free-rolling. Use 1-2 drops of 3-in-1 oil on the bearings if needed. Be kinda' 'stingy' with the oil. If you get it anywhere but on the bearings, it will mess stuff up. If you use too much or slop some around, clean it off.

3... Check the "studio guides". (The two rails that the film runs between.) They need to be perfectly paralell and just the right distance apart. You're SUPPOSED to use a special tool to check this but it's about $800! In an emergency, I just get a brand new roll of film and make sure it's wound on the core perfectly smooth and tight. If it rolls down between the rails and just rubs against them it's okay. If not, you've got a problem. How do you fix it??? 1) call a technician. 2)Use a piece of film or a steel straight edge to line them back up by eye. This is kind of a bitch to do unless you've been shown... Use option 2 only as a last-ditch, save-the-show, emergency measure.

4... Check the "tension bands". Are they loose, worn or 'dinged up'? Can you turn the tension knob kind of easily? Tighten or replace, etc. as necessary.

5... Check your threading. If you pinch the film in the gate wrong, the whole thing goes catty-wompass! You can tell if it's a mis-thread becasue it will go away when you stop the proj. and re-thread.

That's all I can think of right now.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-02-1999 01:34 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Whether it's shaking vertically or horizontally is the main thing we're gonna need to know here.

But also, did this just start with a different print? Do previews or a known good reel play steadily? Need to know that too. Some reels aren't slit very well or are printed poorly. Just recently the Toy Story 2 prints have had many reels with an unbelieveable amount of shaking to them in all directions. It could be simply your print. If not, just tell us anything you can. Also, what do you use to clean your projector with? Is this a single lens projector or does it have a turret on it? When you adjust the gate tension (the round knob at the top of the gate/trap) is it effortless to turn or is there some tension? etc, etc, etc.

Sara Serine Orton
Film Handler

- posted 12-02-1999 02:29 AM      Profile for Sara Serine Orton   Email Sara Serine Orton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did clean the projector... this film was absolute crap (both the story itself and the print... he he he) My projector hasn't been this filthy since Men With Guns. So anyhow, I did clean it. I'm working with a single lens here not a turnette. Also, the previews were shaking too... up and down and a little sideways... but mainly up and down.
It's been sort of shakey for awhile but tonight was unbareble... for me at least.
I will keep trying all of your suggestions. Thank you so much for the fast response.

by the way... does anybody here do business with New Yorker Films..? Is it just me or do they send out the crappiest prints?! GRRRR. What do I have to do get them to listen to me? Do guns work? Bombs? (just sounding off.... ignore me)

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 12-02-1999 09:35 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sara

Is the machine noisier than usual? You see the silver ring protruding out from the intermittent sprocket shaft? When it's running, try holding it in your fingers and put some pressure on it (almost like you're trying to slow it down) Does the shaking and the noise go away?

Christopher A Kerr
Film Handler

- posted 12-02-1999 10:41 PM      Profile for Christopher A Kerr   Email Christopher A Kerr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John:

How do you fix that? We had had it happen to us once. I couldn't fix it so I just replaced the whole intermittent with a spare I had lying around. I still haven't been able to fix the broken one.

Chris

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-02-1999 10:57 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can't hurt to check for a loose element in the projection lens as well.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 12-03-1999 02:47 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another problem would be that one of the little set screws that contact the lens carrier lateral adjuster has come loose which will cause the picture to vibrate all over the place ... that one had me stumped for a wjhile until i noticed that by holding my hand against the lens carrier the shaking stopped, and i could actually 'jiggle' the thing back and forth just a slight bit... at motor speeds it was a shaky mess...

Aaron

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-03-1999 10:23 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes it is uneven pressure on the gate Ie more at the top than at the bottom. If it is a C or CC witht the straight gate there is a tension knob above and below the gate
If it is a SA/DA then maybe the bands are stretched. How is the focus
Also runing the intermittent framed up can help by stopping the tendancy for a loop to form under the gate (this can only been seen with a stobe light

ALso try FilmGuarding the print

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 12-03-1999 05:21 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christopher,

You can't. It will need to be replaced and the box repaired by your service company.

Sara,

How did you go with my suggestion?

------------------
John

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-04-1999 10:55 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I get prints from NY Films. They can be pretty junky. We got Edward Scissorhands that had a couple minutes missing out of it and Tango that looked like it was run over by a truck! We got that last print on two different occasions and it was WORSE on the second time! I even fixed it up a little when I broke it down the first time.

All I can say is, "Thank God for FilmGuard!!!"

Sara Serine Orton
Film Handler

- posted 12-04-1999 01:42 PM      Profile for Sara Serine Orton   Email Sara Serine Orton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK - Here's the deal

I tried many of your ideas... nothing has worked yet. There is a nasty noise coming from the projector (no matter how we thread)and the film moves in a clockwise circle. I looked at the film trap and it was clean. I couldn't really find anything loose on it. QUESTION?
How tight should the trap shoe (Film straps) be? Could this have anything to do with my problem?
Anyhow... any other suggestions?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-04-1999 01:56 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The trap bands should only be tight enough to keep the image stable
does the machine make the same noise if it is run with no film

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: