Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Bad Dreams...(Not Cheech and Chong)

Author Topic: Bad Dreams...(Not Cheech and Chong)
John Wilson
Film God

- posted 12-03-1999 05:50 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ever had that dream where you get to the projector to do a changeover and you've not threaded the projector? No matter how fast you thread it, it seems you're in slow motion and the c/o is looming ever closer. Last night I got to the projector to do the c/o and guess what? I hadn't threaded it.

Allow me to inform you that in reality, you don't go in slow motion.

AND I finished it in time to look up and see the motor cue.

Just. That's what happens, I guess when you're in repertory and busily making up 6 prints and you're so used to the film and where the c/o is you only go there with time to check your thread.

------------------
John

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-03-1999 06:12 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I did that once in college. I was so busy repairing another print I didn't notice the reel was ending. (The supply reel started making a scraping sound as the last couple of minutes pulled off.) After threading the next reel as fast as I could, I hit the motor to run through my 25 feet of leader I always put on the prints. As the start of the regular leader went into the projector, I saw the motor cue. Needless to say I just let the motor run. Amazingly, there wasn't a flash of black. Never did THAT again...and no one was the wiser.

Aaaaah, platters! ( goes to Steve G.)

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-03-1999 07:43 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes there is nothing more sickening than the co bell ringing and relising that next reel isn't threaded or better still relising that the lamp really needed a new trim not a but a few minutes before changeover
But Brad what is worse is coming in to work and find that the relief has a trailor in tail up on a platter
which as STEVE will be glad to remind use is a easy correction on reels

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-03-1999 09:52 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Geez, your relief guys must be idiots. Never had that happen (although if it did, I'll bet I could correct it quicker on a platter than Steve could on reels).

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 12-03-1999 10:45 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Steve

You just gonna sit there and let this young punk talk to you that way? I believe the gauntlet has been thrown down...

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-03-1999 11:20 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Young punk? Them's fightin' words.

(My challenge still stands.)

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 12-03-1999 11:41 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was running "Jedi" in 70mm on 20 min reels. I got side tracked, and noticed that there was very little time left to thread the next reel (R4.) I threaded up the next reel, and with only seconds to go, made the c/o... right to the previous reel (R3.)

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-03-1999 11:45 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok now hang on...wasn't your last post favoring changeovers over platters??? That could NEVER happen with a platter once it's been screened once and verified everything was assembled properly.

I can't believe Steve hasn't chimed in yet.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-04-1999 03:05 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably because Steve has finally realized the true power and superiority of platters. At least that's what he told me personally.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: