Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Teco Rubber Pads

Author Topic: Teco Rubber Pads
Robert Saba
Film Handler

- posted 12-13-1999 05:59 AM      Profile for Robert Saba   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know where I can get a hold of a certain print protection item made by a company called 'Teco'? They're wooden/plastic disks with a soft rubber bottom used to tuck tails and prevent prints from sliding off the platter. We tried getting a hold of some, but the patent was supposedly bought out by Christie... Surely someone has to have some kinda stock somewhere. We used them at my last theatre and they worked out wonderfully.

|  IP: Logged

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-13-1999 09:30 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They are called the "Stick-A-Poo" and are made by Teco (Theatrical Electronics Co)
1122 Industrial Drive
Mathews, N.C. 28105
1-800-863-8326
fax: 704-845-1709

Most theater supply dealers have them in stock and can also be ordered from them.

Rick Uhlhorn
Film Handler

- posted 12-20-1999 01:43 AM      Profile for Rick Uhlhorn   Email Rick Uhlhorn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i took the metal flange off our old sucker cups, rebent them and drilled a self tapping screw into the top of the stick e poo and that sure holds the film on much better. also they are no longer wooden, they are plastic and when you drop them on the floor they break apart where they are glued together. and the rubber stuff on the bottom comes out of the little holes that it is poked in if you try and slide the thing around. keep a tube of glue in the booth.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-29-1999 09:48 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinema Products International in Nashville also distributes the pucks. Contact them at 1-800-891-1301

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-29-1999 04:07 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just learned of Teco pads a few weeks ago. They are pretty cool! Up until then I was only familiar with suction cups, magnets, and yes, paper clips!

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2000 12:22 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And don't forget the loop of gaff tape sticky side out stuck on the flat part of a 20 oz. Cherry Coke twist top. They'll work until the Stick-A-Poos arrive.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-05-2000 03:11 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Am I missing something here? I just tuck the tail under and have never had a problem. Soooooo much simpler and quicker.

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2000 04:10 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I just tuck the tail under and have never had a problem

The tail will not reliably stay tucked on the platters here. I assume everyone has tried tucking the tail, but they still are selling Stick-A-Poos, suction cups, & angle things so I guess I'm not alone...

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-06-2000 04:25 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of platters do you have and how do you tuck the tail? Assuming the soundtrack edge is up, does the soundtrack point inward towards the center ring or outward on the tuck?

Look at the tuck on the 70mm print in this picture. That's how I do it and have never had a wrap of any sort. I call these "outward" tucks, as the top edge of the film is pointing outward. They should always be pulled tight.

I have found "inward" tucks will attempt to straighten out at the end of the film and come loose. The picture below is a shot of an "loose" inward tuck. If the loop of film in this example was pulled tight, then the chances of the tuck coming loose are significant.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: