Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Local Projectionist's / Managers Club

Author Topic: Local Projectionist's / Managers Club
Christopher A Kerr
Film Handler

- posted 12-14-1999 10:50 PM      Profile for Christopher A Kerr   Email Christopher A Kerr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have considered creating a local managers / projectionist's association to allow booth staff from all the local theatres to meet once a month at a local bar to discuss things pertaining to the business. We have been meeting (all the managers from my chain) weekly to talk shop, discuss staffing issues and trade stories. When I have gone to other theatres to pick up films, I usually sit around and talk shop with the projectionist for a while before I leave and have had a good time talking with others in my field. My girlfriend really gets bored listening to me sometimes and I would like to be able to meet with others who share my interest in all things projection. Most of the theatres around here are manager run so it would also help to discuss staffing concerns with others who may have worked with a certain employee before they came to me.

Has anyone else ever tried this? Did it work? What was the turn out like? Did it turn into a big "My theatre is better than yours!" debate? If someone in your area offered this type of associtation to you, would you join?

|  IP: Logged

Tyler Skinner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-14-1999 11:52 PM      Profile for Tyler Skinner   Email Tyler Skinner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe, but in my case I would be scared it would turn into "lets steroetypically bash the Regal Booth Manager"

Erika Hellgren
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-15-1999 04:38 AM      Profile for Erika Hellgren   Email Erika Hellgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is no way this would work in my town. Like you say, it would be a "my theatre is better than yours" debate. I know a lot of the projectionists in my area, and in some cases there is a strong rivalry going on between us. But I do know at least 4 other booth guys who are really cool, and we talk and exchange stories frequently (heck, 2 of them are on this forum). It would be really fun to have a poker night or something with a group of people from the industry, though.

Michael Cunningham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-15-1999 04:43 AM      Profile for Michael Cunningham   Email Michael Cunningham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Chris, I'd only go for it if it involved a lot of beer!! Seriously though, it sounds like a decent idea. We do this informally here, when exchanging prints or something. It helps you keep up with what is new (i.e. equipment, techniques, problems, etc.) and gives you a sympathetic ear to bitch to.

-Mike

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 12-15-1999 09:58 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We tried that here once, but it sort of fell apart. The manager/projectionists liked it (no one ever argured or anything.) But it was too hard for every one to get off of work at the same time. If a holiday is near the day of the meeting, someone has to arrange (and notify everyone) if it will still be held, and of the new day, etc.

I's a good idea, but managers esp. are already overworked, and might just want to go home!

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-15-1999 10:19 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After union meetings here in TOronto most of the reel projectionists and engineers book the rest of the day off (so undedicated ones can work the relief shift) and we retire to the local pub for comaradary and a large quantity of B.S. and Liquid refreshment
A good time is had by all

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 12-15-1999 02:27 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has technology made a "real-time" audio-video meeting over the internet practiable yet?

Just BYOB.......

Robert Throop
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-15-1999 09:03 PM      Profile for Robert Throop   Email Robert Throop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For many years we had projectionist clubs. They were called local unions.

------------------

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: