Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 16mm DTS?

Author Topic: 16mm DTS?
Brett Rankin
Film Handler

- posted 12-15-1999 11:23 PM      Profile for Brett Rankin   Email Brett Rankin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

I've been thinking about this for a while: If the mono soundtrack on 16mm were replaced by a DTS timecode, would 16mm digital be possible? This could possibly bring back a 16mm revival as an exhibition format (not theatrical, of course, but to keep costs down for low-budget venues like college campuses). Would this be feasible or worthwile? 16mm Scope DTS would be pretty cool.

PS: When 35mm is reduced to 16mm, is the soundtrack directly printed along with the picture or is a new mono track created?

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-16-1999 02:49 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
16mm DTS already exists. Crazy world we live in, eh? Although I have not seen it myself (nor do I care to) I have heard that the reader is mounted near the analog audio reader. I'm not sure why that would be the case, but that's what I've heard.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-16-1999 03:59 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
There have been a few stereo optical 16mm prints made, but I believe they were for the Navy and were playable only on special projectors. If memory serves correctly, International Cinema in Florida has some of these machines (but don't quote me on that, I could be mistaken). Their email address is ICECO@aol.com

The optical track on 16mm prints would have to be a new one created specially for the format, if for no other reason than the fact the SR encoding would follow a reduction. I'm sure there are lab reasons against it as well.

Now if only we could get DTS to make an 8mm reader!

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-16-1999 08:45 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's possible to optically reduce a 35mm optical track for 16mm prints, but the sound quality is usually quite awful. The "right" way to do it is to make a 16mm optical track negative from 35mm mag elements (mixed down to mono, of course).

Yesterday, I was lucky enough to see one of the Kinoton 16/35 projectors; this is an absolutely beautiful machine in all respects. The 16mm optical soundhead is actually positioned directly below the feed reel and the sound is read _ahead_ of the picture and then run through a digital delay. Better yet, it would be possible to interchange the 35mm and 16mm DTS readers depending on which format is being run at the time.

Bill Purdy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-16-1999 12:28 PM      Profile for Bill Purdy   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Purdy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dolby once played around with 16mm stereo but it was only a simple two channel system. They merely recorded two tracks using Dolby "A" noise reduction. I once ran a demonstration for them which employed a Kodak Pageant MK5(?) projector into which they had installed one of their stereo cells.

As to printing down a 35mm track, no, really bad. You have to re-record the original onto a new 16mm negative. There are lots of sensitometric reasons for this but their explanation would take pages. (Another anecdote: in my lab days I once went through this process for a customer who wanted a 16mm print of "Deep Throat".)

------------------
Bill Purdy
Comonent Engineering

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-17-1999 08:12 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AMC experimented with stereo optical for 16mm useing Eastman model25's with a christie lamphouse and a Kintek processor
A few years ago I converted many of the US naval bases over to 35mm from 16mm (pictures of some in the warehouse)
They had a mixture of Favorite16B's (xetron/prevost) Kinotone FP18's and Elmo all with Stereo cells and Kintek KT800's The navy had 16mm rpints struck in stereo for these theatres

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-19-1999 02:30 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AMC Theaters did use an expermintal DTS 16mm setup for their "Project HQ" 16mm screens. International Cinema did acquire all of those machines.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: