Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DSL (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: DSL
Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2000 10:13 AM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When we were ordering phone service for our new cinema we wanted DSL. The guy came and installed it in the same amount of time the other fellow installed the other two phone lines. We are running a 233 megahertz Pentium computer and it Rocks! I just downloaded 16mm from a platter from the picture whearhouse in 10 seconds. We are always on-line. We never have to sign in and we have had no problems so far. Our mail program can be on-line all day long. It checks for mail in 5 seconds.

I never want to use a modem again.

|  IP: Logged

Masao Garcia
Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2000 04:15 PM      Profile for Masao Garcia   Email Masao Garcia   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A 233MHz Pentium rocks? We have one of those in our office at work, and it is so doggedy slow. I can't stand using that thing. Well, I guess that's natural, when you're used to a Celeron @ 594MHz...heh, heh.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-08-2000 11:34 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At work, we have a Sun E6500 with 14 gigs of RAM (yes, RAM) and 8 UltraSparc processors. Now, THAT rocks! It would probably make a really lousy desk-top machine, though (particularly since it's the size of a typical theatre sound rack).

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 01-10-2000 04:21 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's nothing. Where I work, we have a Cray hooked directly to the Internet MAP backbone with an OC3 line........

OK, ok.. I'm lying like a rug .... We have a network, but the Internet connection for everybody (30 people) gets squeezed through one 56K line. Pretty pathetic, consitering we make network test equipment...

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-10-2000 04:54 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Get a G4. They're as fast as the first Cray Supercomputers. 1 billion F.L.O.P.S. sustained but with 'optimized' software it can go faster.

For just your everyday webbing about, get an iMac DV, they're the most bang for the buck.
Twice as fast as a Pentium III/600!

Masao Garcia
Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2000 08:37 PM      Profile for Masao Garcia   Email Masao Garcia   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But MacOS sucks so bad. Mac hardware ain't so bad, but the OS accounts for a lot too. And if you want more bang for your buck, it's all about overclocking your cheap Celeron 366A to 550MHz or more. And you won't be forced to use that shitester MacOS. Windows isn't that bad. Though it ain't the greatest, it's certainly better than MacOS.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-10-2000 08:58 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Masao is obviously biased! I have both PC and Mac and love using the Mac for for editing, graphics and sound work. It hardly ever crashes. The PC is good for the everyday joe-average stuff like taxes. I just think the PC OS is ugly. But to each their own. If you enjoy a PC more, then stop bitching and use it, otherwise you sound jealous.

I think I'll wait for the G5's.
Randy--I'm thinking about getting an iMac DV Special Edition (even though I hate iMacs) just because of the value! I could use a second Mac just for editing.

Ian-- If DSL is so great, why do you press the "submit" button more than once, forcing Brad to delete your duplicate posts? Actually a friend of mine has DSL and it rocks!

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-10-2000 09:48 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe,

Don't waste the $ on the Special Edition unless you really have to have the 'charcoal' colored case.

Buy the 'regular' iMac DV. It has 64 meg. of ram and a 10 gig hard drive. For your $ you get 3 gig of hard drive and 64 meg of ram when you buy the Special Edition. You can go out and buy 64 meg of ram and still have enough money left over to get a printer.

Both the 'regular' iMac DV and the Special Edition have 2 USB ports, ethernet and 'firewire'. They have the same cpu and clock. and they both kick any Pentium's ass all over the field.

As for all the people who don't like Apple for some reason. I'm not one of those guys who'll argue with you. Since it's a free country, you all have the right to go out and waste your money on a piece of shit computer if you want.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-10-2000 10:19 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, no! Not another "my hardware/OS is better than yours" thread!

(As for me, I'm typing this on a 1992-vintage Sun Sparc 2 which is not a bad little machine for the $100 [used] price tag. Just try running a recent OS version [Solaris 2.6 in my case] on an eight-year-old Mac or PC!).

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-10-2000 10:43 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the tips, Randy. Anything less than 128megs of RAM is too little.

Scott, my OS/Hardware is better than yours! Wanna fight?

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2000 11:53 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't talking about how bad my computer was, I was talking about how big a pipe comes into my house. DSL is the biggest pipe on the block. With email and web browsing, it doesn't tax the processor. My business partner keeps hinting that the company will buy me a new computer. He just got an iMac. I'm looking for a laptop so I can screw up those Dolby settings.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-11-2000 12:41 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian- Read my question to you again.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 01-11-2000 09:55 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't it strange how the stuff you have at home is better than what you use at work?
At home, my girlfriend and I are hooked to a cable modem. She has a 200mhz pent and I have a 400mhz. We share a SCSI CD-rom burner.

At work, I have a 166 pent and share a 56K line. I have to use a parl. port tape backup that takes forever....

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2000 10:12 AM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe-

I told you about the nervous tic before.

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2000 01:14 PM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I miss my DSL :-(
Ma Bell needs to get off her duff and get in my area!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: