Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Super Platters (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Super Platters
Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-24-2000 04:52 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know if it's possible to still get parts for the old 5 tier Super Platters? Also I would like to know where I could get a few prints when I decide to do so.

Thanks,

Joshua

|  IP: Logged

Trevor Bailey
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-24-2000 07:30 PM      Profile for Trevor Bailey   Author's Homepage   Email Trevor Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of my theaters is still using SPP-5's. They are ordering parts from Cinema Film Systems. Their web site is http://www.cinemafilmsystems.com/

Good luck, those "Super Platters" can be a real pain at times.

Trevor

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-24-2000 08:27 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Manuals for the "Super Platter" are available to download here on the Adobe Manual Downloads page. I have been ordering parts from Cinema Film Systems also. That's where I got the drop-in centerfeed conversion kits from.

Tom Ferreira
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-24-2000 09:37 PM      Profile for Tom Ferreira   Email Tom Ferreira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have two five tier and two three tier Super Platters in my booth, and not too many days go by that I don't want to smash the hell out of them. Luckily, mine are modified with Potts payout heads, but I'd love to meet the guy that designed the carriage and roller system on these things, and ask him what he was thinking.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-24-2000 10:36 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Potts designed it it was his first non air design

Charles Lubner
Film Handler

- posted 01-25-2000 12:36 AM      Profile for Charles Lubner   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Lubner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a bunch of brand new Super Platter payout heads if anyone is interested. We had just bought a bunch before our theatre upgraded to a Strong 5 deck. I've also got motors, rollers and other assorted parts for them. Willing to sell or trade cheap, they're just taking up space in my closet.

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-25-2000 12:47 AM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes...the Super Platter was the bane of my existence for a while there...now, that theatre calls me up and asks me why I don't want to work there anymore. No kidding, but that same theatre paired this up with Monee projectors - what a match!!! I could go on about their wonderful choice of ORC bulbs, but what would be the point in that? Clearly, these people have no taste.

No offence to Cinema Film Systems, but basically platters don't come much cheaper or nastier than that. They are embarrasing compared to a real platter like a Kinoton or a Speco.

There, now - been meaning to get that one off my chest for a while now, and this seemed like just the thread to take me there!

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-27-2000 12:08 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why wouldn't you want to offend Film Systems? They've been offending people for years!

Nicholas McRobert
Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2000 03:32 PM      Profile for Nicholas McRobert   Email Nicholas McRobert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can honestly say, after working with 8 of the dreaded Super-Platters for 5 years, I wouldn't go back to them for any amount of money. Sorry, but they are just crap.

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2000 03:33 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had to use this one for several years at the theater I worked at. I hated the S.O.B. myself. I went back and visited for the weekend and my buddy still works the booth there. I saw that they had replaced it with a potts platter and I asked for it. What the heck it's free and I have no equipment yet. It's a start. As crappy as that might be. Thanks for your posts.

Joshua

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 01-28-2000 01:49 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joshua-

At least its a Super Platter rather than an ORC or AW1/AW2, speaking of crap...

Aaron

Chris Erwin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2000 11:36 AM      Profile for Chris Erwin   Email Chris Erwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aaron,

Don't laugh...an AW2 is what we got. IT WON'T DIE!! It never mishandles film,never brain-wraps (except Titanic once but we fixed that ) And keeps going. I thought parts were gone for this thing?

--Chris

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 02-03-2000 09:20 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just inherited FOUR Stupid Platters in a small circuit that just signed-on for service! Boy, I've got a long road ahead of me!

Arrrgh!

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 07-13-2001 11:20 AM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A little bird tells me potts is where to get parts. As Gordon mentioned, The CFS was basically a copy of an early potts plater. the parts will be the same, just a different color.

Good Luck,

Josh

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2001 11:31 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got one of those AW-1's in my basement even as we speak. It's ugly, noisy, and way out of date with today's modern equipment, but like Chris said... it works perfectly. I did end up re-wiring the column several months back, but the thing does work.

When it comes time to open the theater, I'll probably replace it with either an AW-3 or a Potts.

------------------
Barry Floyd
Floyd Entertainment Group
Nashville, Tennessee
(Drive-In Theatre - Start-Up)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: