Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Cult Movies (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Cult Movies
Tom Ferreira
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2000 11:08 PM      Profile for Tom Ferreira   Email Tom Ferreira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

The thread on Rocky Horror got me thinking about other films that used to screen on Friday and Saturday at midnight during the late 70's thru mid 80's. I remember going to see Rock 'n' Roll High School(still one of my favorite films), Kentucky Fried Movie, and Dawn Of The Dead. I know Harold and Maude and King of Hearts were quite popular for a while. Wouldn't it be great to actually show some of these classics again, instead of just having them relegated to video? Anybody got any stories about cult films they may have screened during their career, and their rabid followers?

|  IP: Logged

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2000 11:49 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We ran Kentucky Fried Movie, Groove Tube, Heavy Metal, Stop Making Sense, etc. We even did a program of 35mm Warner Bros cartoons (including the ever popular "Duck Dodgers In The 24th and a Half Century and DUCK AMUCK). We also ran the Republic serial, KING OF THE ROCKETMEN in 35.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2000 12:59 AM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I worked for Landmark Theatre Corp. from 1985 till 1990. We did Rocky Horror Picture Show of course. They are still running it at the Esquire in Denver. We also did Stop Making Sense and Laurie Andersons Home of the Brave.

The deal with my staff for Stop Making Sense, was that they had to bust down the stand before they could crack open the beers and go dance. What a motivator. We could close the stand, the box, do the paperwork and deposit in about 10 minutes. I never did see the first three songs until the re-release this past year.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 02-12-2000 03:02 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too have run just about all the big 'midnight cult hits' in my career, Night of the Living Dead, Heavy Metal, Fritz The Cat, the 'big three' XXX cult titles (Deep Throat, Devil in Miss Jones, and Debbie Does Dallas), Pink Floyd:The Wall, etc etc...

I remember showing 'Song Remains The Same'back in 1983 at the Phoenix (where the CP50's LCR output was fed into the VERY POWERFUL (read LOUD) rock-n-roll concert sound system that was in there at the time) and playing that to a sold-out crowd at midnight (950 seats with full balcony) and having the owner come in and ask for it to be turned up LOUDER... this CP had a fader that went to '20' and it was already running about '15' so what the hell.... I cranked that sucker to 20! it was so loud that the left channel amp would thermal cutout, and after the show a couple people came and praised the sound system, caliming they have seen Led Zeppelin live and that the movie here was LOUDER than Zeppelin LIVE!! I guess that was cool back in the 80s I do miss that system, it was a lot of fun for tapes (CDs were out widely yet) as well... Oh well enough already

Aaron

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 02-12-2000 10:20 AM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although cable TV and home video killed the rep market for films, there are still a few that I can bring back every year or so and they do well:
-Stop Making Sense
-The Wall
-Rancho Deluxe
-The Wanderers
-Woodstock
-The Commitments

I'm considering trying The King of Hearts, which I played 4 times a year in the late 70's, but I fear it has not aged well.....

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-12-2000 01:40 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the now gone Roxy in Toronto other than Rocky Horror the midnight popular ones were
The Last Waltz
The Song Remains the Same
Pink Flyod the Wall
Rock and Roll HighSchool
shock treatment
The Big Meateater

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2000 07:44 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And one of my favourites from the early 70's "Harold & Maude".

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-12-2000 07:52 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the three that were our biggest hits (smallish college town): Princess Bride, Monty Python/Holy Grail (really crappy print from KPF), and The Graduate (a personal favorite).

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2000 11:17 AM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You had to be here in the NYC area in the seventies to see ALL the cult hits, a lot of them didn't play other spots in the country. How many remember/ran "El Topo", "Flaming Creatures", the notorious "Pink Flamingos" (absolutly the single worst date movie of all time, trust me), "Basket Case", "Liquid Sky", "Pink Floyd Live at Pompeii", "A Boy and His Dog", "Cafe Flesh" and the eystrain inducing "Eraserhead" (where it is rumoured that Ben Barenholtz asked the projectionist over at the Waverly to turn the bulb current DOWN). Them was the days.

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 02-13-2000 12:33 PM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone looked critically at "Harold and Maude" lately? DATED!! Reminds me of when I saw "Steelyard Blues" recently. Donald Sutherland, Peter Boyle, Jane Fonda, John Savage. Boy, for a film I loved when it came out, it is certainly from another place and time.

Last fall, the New Yorker opined about "Blair Witch:" "If it doesn't play at midnight on every campus in the US, then midnights aren't like they used to be." Well? Is "Blair Witch" playing anywhere? I guess everyone is just waiting for "Blair Witche Deux."

"Disposible product" is the term for it.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 02-13-2000 05:33 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ran Harold and Maude just the other day as a double with Manhattan. A very good crowd came along for that double.

Harold was made in the early seventies and, yeah, it looks and sounds like it...but dated? Well, I kinda like the idea of going back to that time when a film could be made and released and 'find' an audience. In a few years, all that was to change with 'Star Wars'. From then on, if it didn't cost at least 20 million to make and then go on to make 2 billion dollars in its opening weekend, it was a flop and unworthy of even being made.

'Koyaanisqatsi' was probably the biggest late show we had. We used to have a 6 monthly calendar and every Friday night for years was 'Koyaanisqatsi'. Then out came the sequel, 'Powaqqatsi' and THAT grabbed the Saturday spot.

To this day I can still smell the odd odour in the auditorium.

And on that topic we ran a double once of 'Pink Floyd Live At Pompeii' and 'A Film About Jimi Hendrix'. I started up the show and checked everything. A few minutes later I walked inthe auditorium to check the sound and was stopped dead in my tracks by marijuana smoke so thick you could cut it with a knife. Honestly, SOooo thick. Of course, the sound needed an AWFUL lot of checking that night.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 05-31-2001 11:58 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just exhuming this thread for Matt Elzie, or any others who were interested in midnight movies

-AS

Mark DeLettera
Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2001 12:56 PM      Profile for Mark DeLettera   Email Mark DeLettera   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is my personal "cult" film list that a lot of our friends and relatives get together for and re-visit quite often. Of course, you have to yell out the next line in the movie before anyone else does!

YOUNG FRANKENSTIEN
BLAZING SADDLES
M*A*S*H
BONNIE & CLYDE
OCEANS 11
FRENCH CONNECTION
DUCK SOUP
SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER

A few of these (YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN for sure) have had some midnight runs here in the Rochester area.
These flix age quite well, and would get me into a midnight showing in a split second, just to see them on the big screen once again!

------------------
Mark DeLettera
Eastman Kodak Co.
Worldwide Technical Svs.
Rochester, NY
mark.delettera@kodak.com
716-588-4189

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 06-01-2001 02:08 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if Barbarella, Queen of the Galaxy is still available?

Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2001 03:32 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here in Melbourne (Australia) we have one film that has true cult status. The Blue Brothers - and the place to see it for many years was Friday night at the Valhalla Cinema. These legendary sessions now continue at the Westgarth cinema.
http://blues.squidly.org/Blues/melb/Welcome.html

The sessions are legendary in themselves.

cheers Peter

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: