Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Carmike no longer THX, WTF?! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Carmike no longer THX, WTF?!
Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2000 09:08 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just informed today that we will be pulling all forms of THX advertising including trailers, signs, newspaper ads, etc. Supposedly Carmike no longer likes the overly strict THX standards. I think they don't like the pricetag. Anyone here know more about this?

|  IP: Logged

Andrew D'Vrey
Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2000 10:58 PM      Profile for Andrew D'Vrey   Email Andrew D'Vrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure they don't like the pricetag. Nobody I know "likes" the price tag. Personally, I'm not completely convinced THX is that important to the majority of customers these days.

THX means the theater's equipment, auditorium, etc are peachy keen. It DOESN'T mean the monkey flipping the switch behind the port-hole window knows what he's doing. And it doesn't mean you will get the experience THX promotes.

The only time I every hear people talking about THX anyway is when Star Wars movies come out.

We're doing a World Premier this weekend and TAP is coming to check the screens we are running it on. I guess in this situation, their critical minds are a calming effect. Something going wrong or not being perfect during an event of that magnitude would be a catastrophy, IMHO.

Maybe it could be reccomended to Carmike to spend the money on Kodak's Screen Check. A brilliant idea on their part. Not a clue on cost tho.

------------------
"And the monkey flips the switch."
- Major Don West, "Lost In Space"

Andrew D'Vrey
IATSE Local 219

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2000 11:18 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I am well aware of the price tag and think it is ridiculous. Some of the restrictions they put on us to achieve THX certification are just ridiculous We had to lock our sound cabinets for example. None at the theater had keys, only the MTS techs. Apparently that kind of stuff is to complicated for our simple minds, not that we ever messed with it anyway.

It isn't a tragedy, just interesting that the 2nd largest theater chain is saying "screw you" to Lucas. Bout time IMHO. It gives me a project for an otherwise boring Thursday afternoon-pull the two THX trailers and add Dolby's. Course that will take all of 10 minutes, leaving me nothing to do for the rest of the 40 customer afternoon .

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-15-2000 11:55 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed that the Carmike in Billings MT stopped putting THX in their newspaper directory a couple of weeks ago...wondered if something was up.

I attributed it to bad ad writing...this same theatre constantly puts STEREO next to films that are in DTS. (they have DTS in all screens.) Unless they have a couple of malfunctioning units......

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2000 12:30 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably malfunctioning units. We aren't allowed to do in house repairs, gotta send them into the shop. This means it takes a long time to get one of our DTS houses back up if it goes down.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-16-2000 12:38 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Locking the sound racks? That's the first I've heard of this. Of course, all of mine are locked anyway, and I have a key, but it's not because of THX. I just don't have anything better to do. Also, I keep tools at the theatre and they are stored in some of the racks.

What's THX going to come up with next? A projectionist REQUIRED to run the machines and not a manager? Now that would be ludicrous.

Just kidding, of course!

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2000 07:51 AM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can bash Lucasfilm all you want, but this is a disturbing development. A few years ago here in Utah, Cinemark was the only chain around which had anything to do with THX. Their theatres were among the rare with good presentations and seemed to be the ONLY theatres which maintained their equipment.

Then, about 5 years ago, Cinemark dropped THX and within seconds their theatres turned to crap. A few months later, Carmike came to Utah and eventually they built some THX houses. If they drop it here, then we'll run low on quality again.

At least with THX, there's SOME kind of notion that the equipment will be maintained. One of the greatest theatres in Salt Lake City (the big house at Trolley Corners) was great in the 1980s but, after a half-dozen bad shows there in the early 90s, I haven't been back since THE FUGITIVE. They never had THX.

(I remember asking a Cinemark manager why they dropped THX 5 years ago and he said something like "Now we have DTS and that's better." I guess managers thought DTS was a cure-all back then. Thing is, they'd already had DTS for 18 months while they still had THX... and THOSE were good presentations. I can't wait to hear some other bone-head explanation from someone who will instantly reveal he doesn't know what he's talking about. Of course, another manager at a different theatre once admitted that the DTS player was at the shop but said "We just turn it up louder and people think it's digital." Unfortunately, he was right, since the average customer's mind has been numbed by too much VHS.)

[This message has been edited by Greg Anderson (edited 03-16-2000).]

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2000 09:41 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, our sound systems get regular maintanence by MTS. But the last time Lucas came out to re-certify us was in 98. I think this is why we dropped THX. Lucas probably said, "Hey, either have us re-certify you (and pay an outrageous fee to do it) or stop calling your screens THX cetified," and Carmike said, "Ok, bye."

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-16-2000 10:14 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well 98 is a long time between recertification it is supposed to be every year. And it doesn't cost all that much I am supprised that MTS is doing recterts. If not there are many people who can doit a person from THX doesn't have to come out only a engineer certified to do it.
As to the cost of the license that is a different matter but typically the standards that THX requires usually mean a better audio presentation with maintained and properly aligned equipment whose compatability has been designed into it from the start.
I think most the circuits are just bleeding to much redink to pay the license fee and they are under the mistaken impression that audiences just don't care.
I have never heard of the racks having to be locked that sounds more like a internal decesion not THX's

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2000 11:04 AM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Call me names if you must (others have), but I'd much rather have the imperfect THX seal of approval than have quality assurance which is backed up by nobody... or by Cinemark's "Front Row Joe" the dancing cat.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 03-16-2000 11:47 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that having THX certification is better than nothing, but I don't think it is a guarantee of anything. Basically, nothing beats a person who cares about presentation.

I think Gordon is right; theaters are loosing money, and this is a cost they can "save" on right away.

I never heard of a requirement to lock the THX cabinets, either. Ours do lock, but the keys are just stuck in the lock itself. Knowing us, we would loose them if they were anywhere else...

About 5 years ago, it was $10,000 for the first year of THX; $1,000 per year after. Those amounts could change, depending on how many screens you were doing a one time.

We also went for over two years (twice) without any one from THX comming by to re-certify. When they did, it had to be at their convenince. Our tech guy had one day notice to meet THX and spent all day (from 6:00am to 6:00pm; break for dinner while shows were running; then from 11:30pm to 3:00 next morning.)

Andy Davis
Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2000 02:07 PM      Profile for Andy Davis   Author's Homepage   Email Andy Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I removed the doors to our sound racks to keep the amps and processors running cooler. I haven't had a problem with people messing with the equipment because our booth operators are competant.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2000 05:31 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All I know is what they tell me. I know that we had to have our THX cabniets locked, and only those. If it had been an internal decision, I imagine all of them would have been locked. And no, no one at our theater ever misses with the sound systems, exception being replacing DTS units, which is easy.

Possibly I was unclear, MTS is not doing recerts, just general maintanence. They came through our theater back in January for their bi-annual complete theater check. They went through each projector very thouroughly.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-16-2000 09:56 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well MTS has an R2 and used to be certified to do recerts so something is very fishy
possibly that the theatre doesn't want to pay them extra for the time it takes
also a lot of amps have the gain controls on the front so locking the racks is almost pointless because any one could open the processor anyway
"something is rotten in the state of denmark"

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2000 12:04 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I was just informed today that we will be pulling all forms of THX advertising including trailers, signs, newspaper ads, etc. Supposedly Carmike no longer likes the overly strict THX standards.

Ads in today's newspaper for Carmike theaters in Mobile, AL still tout THX. Plus an ad for a new Carmike theater opening in April says it will be THX also.

[This message has been edited by William Hooper (edited 03-17-2000).]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: