Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Speilberg does Kubrik!!! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Speilberg does Kubrik!!!
Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 03-16-2000 02:37 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Breaking news. Steven Speilberg, better known as the man who brought us cute little aliens and blood wrenching war (too bad he didn't combine them into one movie), has announced that he will take on the Stanley Kubrick project AI (artificial intelligence, for those of us with NI, no intelligence).

Speilberg said it was a shame that Kubrick died before the project could be completed. he will put all of his attentions into its production and direction. It will be scheduled for release in the summer of 2001 (aptly dated dont you think?)

Now I think that Steven is a decent director, but he's NO Stanley. I think he will do an apt job but he had better do a damn great job. Director's better suited would be Jean Caro or Alex Proyas.

------------------
"If it's not worth doing, I have allready been there and done it"

|  IP: Logged

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2000 04:40 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speilberg do Kubrik? Give me a break. That's like saying... (I can't think of anything stupid enough to compare.)

[This message has been edited by Greg Mueller (edited 03-16-2000).]

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 03-16-2000 08:59 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...how about "Lucas is going to direct ANOTHER Star Wars"?

That sounds pretty darn stupid to me. (with apologies to the Jedi Master Film Handlers )

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-17-2000 04:19 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No offense taken. You think I like being a "Jedi Master Film Handler"? No! I am going to make as many pointless posts as humanly possible (like this one) just so I can get to a different level when I reach 1000 posts. Must reach "Film God". Now that's cool.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 03-17-2000 05:26 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>>You think I like being a "Jedi Master Film Handler"? No!<<

It's not that I like being a Jedi Master Film Handler...I don't! There's just nothing I can do about it right now. It's such a long way from here.

That's your uncle talking...

Yeah, my uncle!

I need your help Luke... She needs your help...I'm getting too old for this sort of thing...

Martin Frandsen
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2000 07:07 AM      Profile for Martin Frandsen   Email Martin Frandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John and Joe, it's indeed very good to have goals in your life, like John wants to be 'jedi' and Joe wants to be 'film-god' one of my goals is to run 70mm on a regular basis with 2 DP70/Norelco projectors on a curved screen in my own theater

Did i forget to mencen that it must be in 6 track Mag sound with a CP200

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-17-2000 07:12 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love Star Wars and all that crap, but with the recent "Phantom Menace", I am sick to death of anything Star Wars.

Didja see the guys camping out in lines for tickets for this movie? I don't want to be associated with that group.

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2000 09:47 AM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is no better director to take over a Kubrick project than Steven Speilberg. Since Kubrick's death, Speilberg has been the best director alive. Plus, he may be the biggest Kubrick fan alive too. I think the nay-sayers will eat their words when the movie is released.

------------------
"All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer." - Homer Simpson

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-17-2000 10:12 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, would you like me to change the rankings for you? Film God would be a loooooong way off.

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2000 10:59 AM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't want to start a rebellion against the empire here, but Kubrik was a terrible director! "Full Metal Jacket" was probably his best film, and even that lacked substinence. We (fellow operators where I work) have discussed Kubrik's work a lot since his death, and we have concluded he was a failure at his career. Again, I'm sorry if I offended anyone, but it is difficult for me to compare him with the Great Ones such as Frank Capra, Orson Welles, Elia Kazan, and Francis Ford Coppola. Those men directed great films. Kubrik directed great written films, but used artistic license to ruin them at the final cut.

[This message has been edited by Aaron Mehocic (edited 03-17-2000).]

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2000 05:13 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're talking about the Stanley Kubrick here Aaron. Have you even seen all of his films? Spielberg best director alive? Oh I get it, your having fun with us.

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2000 07:25 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aaron: go at once to your nearest video store and rent "Paths of Glory", easily the greatest anti-war film ever made, and then come back and say Kubrick was a failure. I defy you to get thru this film without tears of sorrow and rage.

He made some bizarre stuff in his life, some of it obscure, and some of it mediocre, but all of it 10x more interesting than anything playing on any of our screens tonight (20x if you're doubling "Erin Brockovitch")

Coppola? You mean the guy that directed "Jack" and "One From the Heart"? Puh-leeese! Welles? OK, "Citizen Kane" and maybe "Magnificent Ambersons", and. . . ?

Gawd.

Tyler Skinner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2000 07:35 PM      Profile for Tyler Skinner   Email Tyler Skinner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Please feed me shite like Bone Collector and Double Jeopardy!! (notice the sarcasm dripping from my foaming mouth)

Ever hear the joke about the guy who went to heaven and at the gates he was talking to Peter and then he saw Stanley Kubrick. He said to Peter, "Woah is that Stanley Kubrick?"
Peter Replies, "No that's God, he just thinks he's Stanley Kubrick"

or something like that...

Zach Zagar
Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2000 08:36 PM      Profile for Zach Zagar   Author's Homepage   Email Zach Zagar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I vaguely recall, years ago, seeing 2001, and have decent memories, but if Eyes Wide Shut is any minor indication of Kubrick, then... uh, yeah, he's not so cool.

And by the way, Lucas is most likely, NOT directing Episode II, or so I've read.

Ok, 2 cents dropped...

------------------
If ya smell, what the Zach is cooking.

Zach Zagar, the most electrifying man in theater entertainment today.

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2000 12:59 AM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I thought this would be a land mine, so let me answer some of the questions.

No, I have not seen all of Kubrik's films, but I have seen enough to comment on his style. It seems that one of his supporters here on the forum does agree with me that some his work was "bizare ... obscure ... [and] mediocre". My only response to that is the fact that Kubrik had total artistic control after Sparticus (1960), and made films only for the enjoyment of himself. The audience is secondary, and there is the key to my disliking of him. A director should make films for the enjoyment of the audience. This is why many of films failed at the box office. Yes, the critics liked the films, but critics are liberal types that hold artistic rebels in high esteem anyway. In essence they liked him because he screwed the system, not because his films had any legitimate messages (violent human nature - don't we see enough of that from Turner's bizare, obscure, and mediocre CNN).

I respect your positions on the man. Perhaps you do think he was brilliant. I, however, do not. Why? Because he rejects traditional values and is never optimistic in his films. He directs for his own enjoyment, and the enjoyment of a core minority of film goers. I don't think posterity will pay Stanley Kubrik the acolades he received from his contemporaries.

If you're interested, I've seen four of his films: "Sparticus", "Strangelove", "Full Metal Jacket", and "Eyes Wide Shut". I could not get out of "Eyes" fast enough! The worst movie of 1999. Again, I'm sorry if I offended anyone.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: