Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Raiders Of The Lost Ark re-issue. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Raiders Of The Lost Ark re-issue.
John Wilson
Film God

- posted 04-10-2000 01:40 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know if Steven Spielberg plans to re-issue Raiders for its 20th anniversary next year in theatres?

>>rumors are that he will release the 'Indiana Jones' trilogy on dvd in 2001.<<

If you missed thelink...

http://www.laserdisken.dk/kommendedvd/indyinfo.htm

My mouth is watering already after seeing the link to that page. If I were EVER going to buy a DVD player, that's the reason I would.

I just bought the remixed CD soundtrack to Raiders Of The Lost Ark (Yes, I'm going to continue calling it by that name. I don't care what they call it now - Steven, how COULD you?) and it is fantastic with all the music missing from the original soundtrack.

I guess I'll be cranking up the old Bell and Howell with my 16mm print of Raiders VERY soon.

Favourite movie of all time? You betcha!

------------------
"It's not the years honey, it's the mileage".
Indiana Jones.

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-10-2000 05:19 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a bit far for John to travel, but "Radiers" will be playing in Boston next weekend. Unfortunately, it's at the Brattle Theatre, which is something of a dump (rear-projection, mono sound, etc.). Too bad it's not playing at a good theatre, preferably in 70mm...

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 04-10-2000 06:07 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm... Yeah, just a tad (in space terms, that's about half a million miles) too far to travel.

Although, I would like to visit Boston again someday (Be-u-tee-ful) I don't think that's a good enough reason to go. Rear projection? Ik! Mono? Well, when I first saw it it was in mono and I still loved it.

Oh well, I guess it's scope 16mm for me in the meantime. You're all welcome to come along to the screening, by the way. Next week, Temple Of Doom.

(sorry, I don't have Last Crusade)

------------------
Indiana Jones.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-10-2000 08:10 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ran Raiders at the 24 hour film festival at the Egyptian Theater in Boise on New Years. The print must have been a wet gate print as it was sharp as a tack. Best 35 I have ever seen of it. The house was packed for the 3AM showing. Am pretty sure it came out of the Fox vault.
Mark

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2000 09:08 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many of the DVD sites have confirmed with Paramount that the Indiana Jones cover art is a fake.

Don't look for this in the DVD bin anytime soon.

Mark Lensenmayer

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-10-2000 12:04 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Trust me, you do NOT want to see Raiders in 70mm. There is only one existing print of it and it is in shit condition. Colors are faded, the mag track has been partially erased (a full cranking of the hf won't even balance it out, re-eqing is necessary) and there are a few hundred splices.

Paramount (not Fox) struck several brand new prints about 3 years ago. Those were also crap, as the colors were green! (Why does no one notice this?) About 2 years ago they printed several more and those are fantastic!

timothy johnson
Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2000 06:25 PM      Profile for timothy johnson   Email timothy johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
actually Brad, recently I had a 70mm print of Raiders in my hands, not bad condition, color was about 65% retained, the audio was perfect, no erasure at all, so 2 prints exsist.sounds like my print was better than the rental print

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-11-2000 07:08 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as anyone on the forum interested in presenting a repertory presentation of that or any old movie, a private prints mine as well not exist.

Pete Lawrence
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2000 08:28 PM      Profile for Pete Lawrence   Email Pete Lawrence   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since Tim and Brad brought this up, let me ask a hypothetical question. Suppose you could book a print of oh lets say Raiders (but you can substitute any older title here) and the print you received was crap. Is there a problem with running a good quality collectors print of the exact same film, if you can find one? Everyone gets paid who is supposed to and the audience sees a good presentation. After all your license allows you to exibit the title, not print #832.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-11-2000 10:50 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
It does happen, but not very often and most certainly not a word would be said of it. In other words, no.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-12-2000 08:33 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know of a number of cases where a 16mm print was rented and a 35 or 70mm collectors print was substituted. I remember the booker saying the same as was mentioned by Peter......you pay for the title not the actual print. I'd check with your booker on a particuluar title before doing that, but you'll probably find out that they could care less. The only thing that comes to mind is if you happen to have a different version of the film, longer or shorter, that sort of thing might matter alot.
Mark

timothy johnson
Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2000 04:52 PM      Profile for timothy johnson   Email timothy johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
just recently we rented ID4 in 16mm, and we showed my 35mm in DTS, shipping is alot cheaper and the booker did not care, they got their money.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-12-2000 06:57 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure that this sort of thing happens fairly regularly, but there's really no way to tell.

Personally, I wouldn't have any second thoughts about showing a collectors' print as long as the theatre had rented the "normal" print as usual. After all, it's in the best interest of the distributor, the theatre owner, and the audience to show a good print instead of some beat-up junk print.

Unless I knew and trusted the film booker, this is not something that I'd normally mention to him. Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I'd hate to see some poor and honest film collector get caught up in any sort of legal battle over this.

Also, I'd still open the shipping cases and inspect the studio print to make sure that the theatre owner didn't get billed for damage to a print that he never even showed...

Dwayne Caldwell
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2000 08:22 PM      Profile for Dwayne Caldwell   Email Dwayne Caldwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have an observation to make about Indiana's weaponry. I certain someone that posts quite often on this site (I'll spare him his name) insists that at NO TIME did Indiana have in his posession an automatic pistol in Raider's. Indy's choice is, and has always been his six shooter. I know the revolver is Indy's preference but I have checked it out at least three times, and I saw Indiana fire several rounds from an automatic at one point in the movie. It is during the Napal Tavern shootout. Indy is cornered in the doorway with his six shooter while one of the gunmen (the Asian behind the knocked down table with the dangling medallion) is blasting away. Indiana backs away as a few rounds hit nearby. The next shot is a close up the Asian firing away. Then we see Indy turn to face the gunman (and I HEARD the SOUND of the slide chambering the first round), and the next shot is Indy and his AUTOMATIC firing into the fireplace. That is when a few bullets hit loose the log and it burns the said Asian and Indy puts him out of his misery with a slug (as in a bullet, not a fist) to the head, and grossing Marion out. Indy loses the automatic while wrestling that big guy that he eventually takes out with a chair. The big man even USES IT while it's in Indy's hand to blow away that German gunman that was going to shoot them both! My friend insists I'm full of it. John, you're a big fan of this original. Can you back me up on this one?

------------------
The man with the magic hands.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 04-14-2000 03:20 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll have to let you know for sure after my screening, but when Indy is being strangled and the German pours whiskey on the bar and then lights it, the next shots from Indy definately seem too rapid for a six shooter. I just can't recall where he got it from though.

"Shoot zem....Shoot zem bose"

------------------
Indiana Jones.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: