Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Tice A Year Cleaning

Author Topic: Tice A Year Cleaning
Richard Quesnelle
Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2000 10:48 PM      Profile for Richard Quesnelle   Email Richard Quesnelle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well after reading some of the cleaning posts, I decided I would clean the projectors where I work so they stayed in good condition. The Century C's were hard to get at everything, but with a tooth brush, a rag,and some Windex (no alcohol on hand).

The back area was the hardest to reach. When I told the manager that I had cleaned them he thanked me but it wasn't needed. He only cleans the projectors twice a year (strips it apart to get to the back), once in the spring and once in the fall.

Does this sound wierd, because to me from what I'm getting for the most part by everyone is that this is a big No NO.

REG

|  IP: Logged

Bernie Anderson Jr
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2000 11:12 PM      Profile for Bernie Anderson Jr   Author's Homepage   Email Bernie Anderson Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's crazy. I'm on my projectionist to clean all the time. I actually set up a weekly schedule. 6 theatres: one a night and thursday off for prints.

To help you get to the back, I use surgical clamps ( they look like scissors) and I put a cotton ball on the end of it and it gets in the corners really good.

Oh by the way, does this guy check the oil levels twice a year also?

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2000 11:56 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Projectors should be cleaned every day.

Dwayne Caldwell
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-13-2000 12:26 AM      Profile for Dwayne Caldwell   Email Dwayne Caldwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And oiled at least one a week. I worked with a chief operator that forgot to oil one of our Century JJs, and I worked the night the intermittent decided to seize up. At first I thought it was a shutter timing problem because of the streaking, but before I could stop the film, it broke and there was about two or three feet of trailer wrapped around the intermittent sprocket. I took a closer look and the gear grooves on the vertical shaft that meets the intermittent were chewed all to hell. The intermittent was bone dry. Luckily, we we're a five screen playing four movies at the time and we moved the show to the empty auditorium. But it was a thirteen hundred dollar mistake that helped contribute to the chief operator's termination. Now I'm probably stating the obvious in stating the importance of well oiled projectors, but like I said, it was a thirteen hundred dollar mistake from a chief operator.

------------------
The man with the magic hands.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-13-2000 06:00 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Twice a year?!?!! You really should clean the machines between every reel or platter-length of film. Once a day is probably OK _if_ you have only new prints that are in good condition. It seems to me, though, that it's well worth spending sixty seconds to clean the film path, particularly if this prevents a nasty scratch on the print!

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 04-13-2000 08:48 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Twice a year! What do the machines look like? Doesn't he notice all the crap building up around the intermittent?

Yeah, I also feel a short cleaning after every show is a "good thing." When you get into a routine, it takes very little time. Put a rag, toothbrush, etc. next to each projector so you don't have to carry that stuff around. Don't use harsh cleaners like "409" or "Fantastic." The enamel paint may turn a pink color! But also, alcohol is all you need.

A sort of problem with Centurys is the gear train is not in an oil bath like, say, a Simplex. This means a person has to get back there and manually apply grease (not oil) to the fiber gears. The main lower one is tough to get at, (and has a heavy load) so it doesn't always get as much as it should.

I also found that less oil gets out of the intermittent if you use that oil plug for the oil hole in the rear of the intermittent casting. Century sells a plug, but a pipe cleaner will work.

Richard Quesnelle
Film Handler

- posted 04-13-2000 04:03 PM      Profile for Richard Quesnelle   Email Richard Quesnelle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must have been the only one to clean those projectors in months. We do clean the projectors after every show, but the crud build-up that was there! Oh my God.

I imagine there's been worse, but you guys are right in keeping everyting as clean as possible as I will make sure of it from now on. Are there any extra tips on cleaning the back without striping the whole thing.

Thanks
Reg

Alan Brandt
Film Handler

- posted 04-13-2000 05:53 PM      Profile for Alan Brandt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As long as you use film-guard, you dont need to clean them periodically. You caould drag a print over a sand dune and it would be okay and even scratch it with a utility knife, but if you're using film-guard, the projector is maintenance free. Just thread and start. Let film-guard do the hard work. If it doesn't seem to be doing the trick...Use more. I've heard from people that it will even "mop the floor" with the addition of a special add-on kit, made possible by our friends at Kelmar. But if you really feel the need to clean every darn-tooting second like Henrietta Longtooth and Mr.Clean, then I suppose it wouldn't hurt it much, just don't overdo it.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: