Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Splicing Tape (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Splicing Tape
Richard Quesnelle
Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2000 10:56 PM      Profile for Richard Quesnelle   Email Richard Quesnelle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When we make-up film at the theatre, we use Splicemark red tape (made in the UK) and CPI clear tape (also made in the UK) for breaking down and shipping out.

The brand of splicer we are using is nade in Italy. That is all I know. Is it at all similar to the Neumade brand. (when I find out the company, I will post it).

Are these makes of tape relatively good?
Just wondering. They seem to come off OK.
Any thoughts.

REG

|  IP: Logged

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2000 11:37 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here we go again.
You should really use clear tape for building, or at the very least a good brand of 'zebra' tape. Reason being is that opaque tape will:
A) Show up on the screen
B) Cause certain digital systems to 'drop out.' Apparantly SDDS and Dolby Digital are the lemons. I don't have any experience with SDDS but know that our Dolby systems don't drop out on opaque splices. Anyway, better to be safe than sorry.
C) Cause a 'pop' in analog sound systems. Again, this is not the case with our stereo sound, but your situation might be different and it is better to be safe than sorry.

Megan Penmann
Film Handler

- posted 04-13-2000 01:56 AM      Profile for Megan Penmann     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use the Splicemark red tape as well. In case some people haven't seen this tape (if it's what I think you're talking about), it's clear in the middle, with transparent red stripes on the inboard & outboard sides. It's also not as wide as most of the splicing tape I've seen.
We also have a "Made in Italy" splicer... The other 3 we have look similar, but are much crappier and have absolutely no brand name or any kind of markings on them. We've only had them since we opened (in December) and already one of the handles (which resemble bicycle handles) broke off, and another one refuses to cut the tape. And forget repairing them-- you can't switch out parts from other splicers because apparently the craftsmanship is a little too irregular. As far as I'm concerned, they must have gotten these splicers at a "Buy 5 projectors, get a free splicer" sale, because THEY SUCK!
New splicers are on my ongoing list for booth supplies, but who knows when we'll get them. I think Film Guard is probably higher on the list, and I can't get that until we get the cleaners to put the Film Guard on. And who knows when THAT will happen.
(Sorry, just venting a little after a late late night building up, cleaning projectors and previewing prints).

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-13-2000 02:09 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your "Made in Italy" splicers are probably made by CIR

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-13-2000 02:25 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this the splicer?
CLICK HERE

If it is, Joe is right on the money as it is one hell of a piece of shit.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 04-13-2000 08:57 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard: see the post topic; "All About Splices-some questions for you guys." We talked about alot of stuff you might be interested in.

"If it is, Joe is right on the money as it is one hell of a piece of shit."

Don't sugar-coat it, Brad. Tell us what you really think!

Nicholas McRobert
Film Handler

- posted 04-13-2000 10:38 AM      Profile for Nicholas McRobert   Email Nicholas McRobert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would totally disagree, as CIR splicers are all I use at the moment. I have never had problems with the overlap function, tape getting stuck in the perfs or any other similar to the problems I encountered when using other splicers. One in particular that I used in the past that stuck out as a real stinker was made by Marble....talk about a piece of shit....

Nicholas

Ari Nordström
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-13-2000 03:36 PM      Profile for Ari Nordström   Email Ari Nordström   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've used CIR splicers for years. Unfortunately I have to agree with Joe and Brad here; most of these splicers aren't any good. They can be made to work well, though. The one I use works fine but needs fairly regular cleaning and adjusting ,or those sticky little squares will start showing up on the Dolby Digital reader...

Damn, I hate it when that happens.

Alan Brandt
Film Handler

- posted 04-13-2000 05:35 PM      Profile for Alan Brandt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The answer is yes they are junk, no, I don't use clear tape between reels. At least on a dumb movie anyway. That makes it too difficult for the boneheads who work with me to find the damn splice. I especially don't worry about it if the movie stinks.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-13-2000 08:04 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I like the 16mm version of the Ciro splicer (tho I admit to having never used a 16mm Neumade), and I don't think that the 35mm version is quite as bad as everyone else here seems to think...

Actually, I think that the issue here isn't so much that the Ciro splicer is crap, but rather that the Neumade 35mm splicer is so good. If someone set out to design the "ideal" tape splicer, I think that he would come very close to the Neumade design. It's solidly built, simple to use, relatively easy to align, and the splices run smoothly through any projector that I've used.

Still, the Ciro splicers _do_ work. They're actually the standard splicer used by film editors for cutting workprints (both 16mm and 35mm), and they're way better than some of the other alternatives...has anyone used a splicing block and razor blades lately? Or a Griswold cement splicer?

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 04-13-2000 09:56 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The SPLICEMARK RED TAPE is clear with the exceptions of the red markers on the ends of the film. I use this tape now, and thanks to Mark over at GTS for that.

------------------
"If it's not worth doing, I have allready been there and done it"

Richard Quesnelle
Film Handler

- posted 04-13-2000 10:04 PM      Profile for Richard Quesnelle   Email Richard Quesnelle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ya boys, I checked it out tonight and it is a CIR splicer. We have two of them (a modello special and a rapide roma). After reading all the replies, I now notice how crap they are. Are they any adjustments that I can do Brad, Joe, anyone?

I don't own the place so any little help will do (things would be way different if I did).

REG

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-13-2000 10:24 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott: I own a Ciro 16mm tape splicer and I love it! I also use a Ciro 35mm tape splicer at the Skyline Drivein. NEVER had any trouble with it.
Works fine for me.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-13-2000 11:11 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Brandt:
...no, I don't use clear tape between reels. At least on a dumb movie anyway. That makes it too difficult for the boneheads who work with me to find the damn splice. I especially don't worry about it if the movie stinks.

Hmm, ok.
Can't you use zebra tape though? That in my opinion is a decent compromise.
Watch your opaque splices go through sometime. You can see the tape (I didn't think so a while ago) and to me it is annoying as hell.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 04-14-2000 02:34 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK...What have you done with the real Dustin?

------------------
"It's not the years honey, it's the mileage".
Indiana Jones.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: