Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Projection Fees

Author Topic: Projection Fees
Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2000 12:02 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Trial Balloon

Last night I had to break down 6 films and build up four films. We have been rather slow at the Rialto Cinemas lately and we needed to change our films. (This week we seem to have all foreign films.) So all this grunt work got me to thinking, (Always a dangerous thing.)

I had 5 Technicolor films and one Theatre Transit film. Of course they all wanted them all back on Friday morning. We had many films sharing a screen so I was able to get started at 3:30 PM. I was still at it until 2:00 AM. So as I worked and bemoaned my existence, I came up with the following idea. Let me know what you think.

Supposition.

We make the money for the studios therefore we should be entitled to deduct reasonable expenses out of our film rental.

1. Each theatre should charge the studio $35 for film inspection, building up, tearing down or even repairing splices for reel to reel showings. This charge would be automatic.

2. $35 additional for each film received after close of business Wednesday.

3. $35 additional for each film received Friday morning.

4. $35 for each film that is required to be picked up less than 24 hours after its last showing.

5. These fees are to be collected by the theatres by withholding them from film rental.

6. These fees are to split 50/50 with the projectionists.

Based on these figures, my theatre would have collected $455.00. My projectionist on duty last night would have collected $52.50 in addition to his hourly pay. I would have collected $175.00 towards buying a house in this tight market. The theatre would have been able to keep 227.50, which would be real handy in purchasing more Film-Guard!

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-28-2000 01:38 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Waitaminute..... what are projectionists? I thought that they were invisible!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-28-2000 02:26 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a nice idea, but it will never fly. Instead, I offer this modification:

Any print not received at a minimum of 36 hours before the first show is to commence will not charge $$$ to the studios, but will not be obligated to play that film to a public audience until 36 hours has passed. Let the screens go dark and suddenly prints will be there on Mondays.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 04-28-2000 03:22 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although reasonable, it would never happen.

The distributors will claim that the studios delay the release until the last minute, so the delivery is beyond (the distributors) control. Besides, the distributors will say, We are working on that problem; that's why we must go to electronic projection.

There would be all kinds of resistance. Also, suppose the distributors started to really (I mean _really_) look at the items that get back-charged to them, like the electric bills, etc. I know several theaters that play "pad the bill" and the distributors know it. If they don't overdo it, the distributor just lets it go. Those theaters don't want to rock the boat.

An overwhelming number of theaters would have to participate in some form of action, and that's not going to happen. Theaters are in an ever-weaking position (with the recent over-building and lack of quality product) and don't have any leverage. Could you afford to "go on strike" and not run any shows? Meanwhile, the studios are finding new markets (and money) in video distribution and the internet. And I wouldn't count on NATO. While I know there many hard working people supporting NATO, I personally find NATO to be largely ineffective. (On my soapbox) Look at ELR's, which would cut make-up and break-down times.

Don't get me wrong; I wish your idea would happen. But I think it's too much to ask for, at least all at once.

How about something less radical, but a small step in the same direction? What about some sort of action against film exchanges? Film exchanges always used to inspect prints, and I didn't see any price break when they stopped (citing they were too busy.) Hey, maybe they are, but theaters are busy, too. If the can is damaged, leave all the film out in a box (or several different sized ones) so the guy has to make two trips. If there's a bad reel, wind it on a core, then pop the core out before returning. Be creative, but be sure your're right. A "work to rule" kind of thing. Document why you're doing it, and make it "cost" them in labor. But still pay them, to help prevent any legal action.

And to be fair, I want the exchanges to get pissed, and start charging theaters for any film damage (which they generally don't.) That way, it becomes economically in the theater's best interest to run a good booth, and will get rid of incompetence. Exchanges are "closer" to the theater (we can impact them more directly) and putting pressure on them may force them to turn around and put pressure on distributors for more time.

Maybe things will "flow uphill" for a change and start a movment towards your idea.

Lance C. McFetridge
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2000 04:17 PM      Profile for Lance C. McFetridge   Email Lance C. McFetridge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian, how much do you pay projectionists if they are both in Hawaii? Ha

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2000 06:20 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We pay them very little, but one of their mothers was getting married over there. So they both went. We wish we could pay them more, but we are in our first year and they haven't achieved that master projectionist level yet. They are just film threaders.

Joseph Pandolfi
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2000 12:47 PM      Profile for Joseph Pandolfi   Email Joseph Pandolfi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That would be great when a print that I had to build shows up 2 hours before the first show. I had that sucker built up and ready with one minute to showtime.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 04-29-2000 11:19 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, how many people DON'T have a story that goes... I once received a print <some peroid of time> before a one-off sneak and was able to build it up, put it on-screen "cold" and break it down <some period of time> after the show, just in time for it to be picked up by this greasy-looking old guy in a dirty T-shirt, driving this beat up old car... ???

Andrew D'Vrey
Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2000 12:21 AM      Profile for Andrew D'Vrey   Email Andrew D'Vrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I add...$1,000 fine to Technicolor for sending a print for a sneak preview on Tuesday, calling to pick it up Wednesday, and it opens Friday, so it gets sent back Thursday. I can't count the number of times that's happened. Lately I just tell them NO!

------------------
"And the monkey flips the switch."
- Major Don West, "Lost In Space"

Andrew D'Vrey
IATSE Local 219

Chris Wootten
Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2000 06:58 AM      Profile for Chris Wootten   Email Chris Wootten   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wish you luck with the trying.....Money is a one way street from this Cinema to the Distributers.....you would have "buckleys" trying to get any back... for whatever reason....

------------------
"I luv the smell of napalm in tha mornin !" :D

Keep Smiling......Chris

Jason R. Weinsteiger
Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2000 11:24 AM      Profile for Jason R. Weinsteiger   Author's Homepage   Email Jason R. Weinsteiger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
grr, yeah! And how about a fee for when they expect to pick up the print 15 minutes after the final show on a Thursday night!

jasoN

------------------
"That's what life is - a series of down endings. All Jedi had was a bunch of muppets." -Dante Hicks

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: