Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Landmark Theaters Files Chapter 11

Author Topic: Landmark Theaters Files Chapter 11
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-24-2000 04:02 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Landmark Theaters has filed Chapter 11 in Federal Court. Looks like things are still going sour in the exhibition industry these days. Anyone else herd about this yet? Too many screens, lousy product, all coupled with stale popcorn and flat soda pop means bad buisness. Perhaps the use of Film-Guard would have prevented all this.
Mark

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-24-2000 05:23 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I keep hearing that United Artists is going to file for bankruptcy. When are they going to do this? Any news on them?

Ky Boyd
Hey I'm #23

- posted 05-24-2000 05:49 PM      Profile for Ky Boyd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A slight correction - Silver Cinemas - which owns both Landmark Theatres (the nation's largest exhibitor of specialty films) and a discount chain called Silver Cinemas filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. Anyone who takes the time to read Silver's SEC filings on Edgar can see that the Landmark side of the company is doing just fine - its the discount side that isn't healthy and most of the debt that is forcing them into bankruptcy is on the Silver side of the company.

As for the seemingly always pending UA bankrupcy - as it continues to be rumored and not happening - it strikes me as more and more of a ploy to get out of many bad leases and less than stellar locations. From what I hear, they seem to be paying their bills just fine at the locations where they are doing well. Of course that number of properties continues to dwindle.

One final note about Landmark - the company has survived more than a few owners with shaky finances - including The Samuel Goldwyn Company and Heritage Entertainment - Landmark is a unique company with good theatres and strong business in a profitable niche. I personally don't think Silver's bankruptcy will endanger Landmark's long-term survival. Landmark is the key to Silver's return to financial health.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2000 09:36 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And thus begins Ragnarok, the end of all things.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 04-23-2001 09:52 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
The Dallas Morning News published a story today saying that Oaktree Capital, one of Silver's major creditors, has agreed to purchase the company under the condition that the executives leave. They will pick-and-choose which venues will stay open.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-23-2001 06:06 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, I'll agree with you about the lousy product (right now, anyway) but WE don't have stale popcorn and flat sodas!

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-25-2001 07:17 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can understand how the overall 2nd run bargain movie theater business is being badly hurt these days, and that the art-house specialty theater market may still do well.

Unlike the mainstream multiplex scene, the art house market is very under-screened. Few mainstream first run theaters want to play indie film product. So that just leaves a handful of theaters in larger cities to play those movies. The rest of us living in smaller cities often wind up having to wait until the DVD is released.

DVD, I believe, is making a negative impact on the 2nd run business. We have one bargain house here in Lawton (the Vaska Theater). Since theatrical releases go by so quickly and it seems like the films are out on video sooner than ever, few people want to pay $2 a ticket to watch a film in a theater that can only afford to show films with moderate projection quality and mono sound --especially when they can just wait a couple weeks and see the show in a better way on DVD.

Independent films are much harder to come by. A lot of people (provided they know about the movie even being at the theater) will try to get there quick to see it before it leaves. But often, through little marketing, most indie films get ignored at the box office. A friend mine jokes about how him and I were the only people in Lawton to see "The Usual Suspects" in its original theatrical release. We bring up those jokes when someone mentions seeing the film on video, how incredible it was and then adding, "it is too bad films like that never come to Lawton!" We holler back in response, "they do!" You just have to look for them.

Joe Schmidt
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-26-2001 08:53 PM      Profile for Joe Schmidt   Email Joe Schmidt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adam's post notes a case where there is a prospective purchaser who's agreed to go in "on condition that the executives leave."

Good. At least somebody has some sense. That is the key problem with all these bankrupt chains. Seeking protection of the bankruptcy court is an all-too-familiar ploy of executives to fend off the dogs and keep themselves in power in order they may continue to rape&pillage & line their pockets.

I strongly suspect the bankruptcy judges in charge of these cases lack knowledge of exhibition and what is going on. Hope to provide some input to them at some point, but I'm very busy. Time presses. gotta go now.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 05-23-2001 02:34 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Inside.com is reporting that Oaktree will seek two previous company heads to return and run the company.

Story here

Ky Boyd
Hey I'm #23

- posted 05-25-2001 04:58 PM      Profile for Ky Boyd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well that is good news for Landmark that Bert and Paul are returning. As a former Landmarkian, it is my hope that the chain will continue to grow and prosper in their unique market niche. Thanks for posting the link to the inside.com article.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: