Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Certified Electronics Technician?

Author Topic: Certified Electronics Technician?
Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-12-2000 05:18 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found my old CET exam manual yesterday and wondered if anyone here ever bothered to become a CET? If so, what area(s) of specialization did you elect to be tested in?

I know they (the Electronics Technicians Association) don't offer much in our line of work, but the certification today carries about as much weight as the old FCC Radiotelephone licenses *used* to.

------------------
Better Projection Pays!

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-12-2000 05:53 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was always going to do this but never did. I was always too busy at work and too tired when I got home(especially now!). Since I've always had electronic / mechanical type hobbies I either learned from them or on the job.
Mark

Oscar Neundorfer
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2000 05:58 AM      Profile for Oscar Neundorfer   Author's Homepage   Email Oscar Neundorfer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I worked for many years as a repair technician in the consumer electronics and professional musician equipment areas. I seem to recall that the CET was popular in the mid 70's, but I also never got one as I did not need it at all for my jobs. I think it was a good attempt to qualify repair techs since there were so many shops at the time that were total ripoffs and techs were getting bad reputations. Is the program still in force?

Regarding FCC licenses, I got my First Class Phone license at 19 years of age and kept it for many years. Then, sometime in the mid 80's I think, the FCC "downgraded" the First Class License to a General class (I think it was called) for various political reasons, or so I was led to believe. I let mine lapse which did not matter since I was not using it anymore anyway.

------------------
Oscar Neundorfer
Chief Engineer
SMART Devices, Inc.

oscar@smartdev.com

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 06-13-2000 08:38 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the CET exam program was a good idea. But, I heard that there wasn't any support by electronic companies (companies who would employ electronics technicians.)

The reason was the companies' thought the CET exam was too close to the start of an electronics technicians union. When I started in electronics in the late 1970's, there were very few technicians. The longer companies' could keep techs from talking to each other (to compaire pay and benefits) the better. And a program to standarize knowledge wasn't in their best interest.

If electronics technicians got together and created a union, it would be very powerful.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-13-2000 11:52 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having the CET paper did not guarantee that you could trouble shoot or reair anything anyway and most large companys never even asked if you had one. I worked for both Panasonic and Canon factory service for years and I don't recall anyone having a CET certification. there were many bad and many good technicians that went through both places.
Another interesting thing about working factory service is that you were graded each month, based on percentage of repaired units and returns etc. You either made it or you didn't at both companies.
Mark

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-18-2000 11:24 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oscar wrote:>>Is the program still in force?<<

Very much so. They've expanded into several other specializations, and are pretty heavy into computer certifications.

Check them out at: http://eta-sda.com/

------------------
Better Projection Pays!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: