Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Kinoton FP-35 question...

Author Topic: Kinoton FP-35 question...
John Wilson
Film God

- posted 06-15-2000 03:34 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An FP-35D actually...(not that that really matters).

Is anyone else using these? We've got a slight annoying problem with the solenoid changeover shutter. After it has been running a while, the rubber on the stopper heats up and will stick to the metal, meaning that lens changes and end of shows cannot be relied upon to shut off the light from the xenon.

If these are cleaned up, they will work flawlessly but only for a show or two.

Anyone got any advice or ideas to get rid of this problem?

|  IP: Logged

Stephen Jones
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2000 07:31 AM      Profile for Stephen Jones   Email Stephen Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Havent heard of this problem with Kinotons before is it the FP30D?Iam presently running the FP50D and havent had any problems of this sort.You could try replaceing the rubber stop with a heat resistant type or if the projector is new and still under warranty you could ask the supplier for a solution.Or if the projector is a few years old the rubber may have gone soft and may need replaceing with a new stopper.Sorry I can't be of any help,as I said it's the first time I have heard of this happening.

------------------

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-16-2000 09:28 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it possible some oil or oil vapour has attacked the rubber?
Try useing a teflon bushing instead

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 06-16-2000 06:04 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oil is doubtful. I think they're just getting too darn hot. They're getting flat areas on them which won't be helping. I'm going to swap a few of them around and if that doesn't improve things (different thread ends), I'll have to get replacements.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-16-2000 06:39 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What size lamp and type of lamphouse?
If 3KW or larger i would reccomend watercooling the machine
the rest of the head will run cooler for it

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 06-17-2000 06:16 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1 x 2.5k
3 x 4k

All have the same problem. Perhaps it's just another of those things on a kinoton that just needs to be updated after a while (like the plastic disposable gate and runners)

Larry Shaw
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2000 05:17 PM      Profile for Larry Shaw   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Shaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never heard of a FP-35, but is the changeover a rotary solonoid or a two-coil linear solonoid like the "zipper"?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: