Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Sony causing trouble (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Sony causing trouble
Dave Cutler
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2000 11:50 AM      Profile for Dave Cutler   Email Dave Cutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First of all I am sorry I have to post this in the forum, but it's the only way I know of contacting this person.

I got a call last night from my Managing Director. Seems that someone from Sony read a comment that I made about SDDS and called corporate office on me, saying that I was damaging the <theatre chain>-Sony relationship. What a bunch of crap.

What I say, is MY OPINION, and I am intitled to it. Sorry Sony, but you will have to learn to live with it.

I was kinda flattered that this person thought that my opinion carried such weight in my theatre chain. The reality is, to them I am just a peon. I do NOT make company wide decisions. I don't work for Corporate office, I am not on salary, heck I am not even a manager. Although I am a member of the management team so I call myself the booth manager so as to not confuse people (that's what my business cards say atleast).

Atleast I am out here posting WITH MY REAL NAME, not just lurking around trying to get people into trouble because I make a crappy product and have nothing better to do. I challenge whomever called my corporate office to post a reply and defend themselves and their petty actions.

In fairness to Sony, not all of there employees are like this. Bill Mead has written me personally to rebut comments I have made about SDDS. He even convinced me on a few points, even if I still prefer DTS or SRD.

There is also the little matter of the disclaimer that one must view and agree to before even entering the forum now. I like that Brad, it was a good idea.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-09-2000 02:40 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that's just another reason NOT to purchase Sony products. Any company that goes to that much trouble should be spending their time making a product better so no one will complain in the first place.

Still I urge the people at Sony to spend a little bit of their time checking the law and not to harass people or throw scare tactics at them in an attempt to keep them quiet so no one finds out about the problems associated with their machines. Perhaps it is time for Joe to review the 3000 series SDDS machine? I've heard nothing but bad things about it and wonder how it would stand up to Joe's real life testing.

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2000 02:59 PM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too can speak from personal experience that its seems that the entire Sony compnay and sub companies are afraid of people's personal opinions. From the hush men seen here, even to the extent of losing employment because of opinions stated in a public forum. Sony and their net-nazi's need to get off thier high horses and realize that people are entitled to opinions based on thier experiences.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-09-2000 06:52 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I've said it somewhere else before, but if a company goes behind your back and tries to get you in trouble over something you said on the forum that they didn't like, then that very company is admitting that they are extreme cowards. They should at least come out and challenge the views publicly. I guess that will never happen with ompanies that only employ cowards, though.

I challenge Sony to get me in trouble!

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2000 08:03 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I worked for a major retail chain doing home repair services on TV's etc. I drove a van with an 800 number on the back for comments on my driving.

Over the 4 years that I was there, I supposedly:

Drove 60 mph down a twisting mountain road (with 20 mph curves)

Tailgated a "customer" for 15 miles blowing the horn and flashing the lights...

Ran down a cat while laughing madly...

Gave someone the finger.

Sure. Give someone the finger when you are driving a truck with their name and number plastered all over it.

All this did was get me in trouble and there was nothing I could do because the people that called were anonymous. When I left the company, I demanded a copy of my employee records. These driving infractions were there!!! I'm here to tell you that I did not do any of them. I DID get a speeding ticket (in a speed trap) ONCE and I told my supervisor the next morning when I arrived for work.

Dave: I know that you feel kinda helpless since you have no idea who pulled this crap on you, but rest assured, SONY is just being the assholes that they have become in business. I will never own another Sony product. They are all fancy looking on the outside, and flimsey on the inside.

I recently had to buy a remote for a VCR that cost over $100. One week after it arrived, I found the same remote at a discount house for $14.

Come after me, Sony. I'm not in a theater, and I am NOT afraid of you either.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-09-2000 11:36 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seriously, most Sony products are crap! Sure, they're innovative, but they don't last. Take the PlayStation for example. Those things burn out left and right! Plus, the graphics are all jaggy, bendy and the system can't even draw a straight line. I've also had a few MiniDisc units go out on me, as well as camcorders and other equipment. The stuff goes out usually right after the warranty expires. Not so with the crap I own that's made by JVC, Canon (really cool folks), Kenwood, and others.

Don't buy Sony.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2000 12:53 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about an official film-tech boycott of Sony ?

Russ Kress
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2000 01:01 AM      Profile for Russ Kress   Author's Homepage   Email Russ Kress   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

I "convinced" my child to go with the Nintendo-64 after hearing Play Station horror stories!

One of his cousins is still using a Play Station that will only operate correctly when situated up-side down on the table.

Come and get me Sony!! I have seen it first hand! I have pictures!!

Granted, I don't operate any SDDS systems, but the Play Station experience isn't exactly making me scream for one.

Besides, Lonny and Ken could make a way cooler video game if they wanted to!!!

If a manufacturer is gonna sell stuff to the public, then they have to deal with the reviews that they receive.

Were I to buy one, it would become mine. I could say whatever I wanted to about the way it did, or did not work.

There is a lawyer loose somewhere in this thread!! Let's catch him!!!! (LOL)

Russ

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2000 09:53 AM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have heard many stories from my friends about their Sony audio/video components having problems and needing repairs, but I must say that my Sony Trinitron XBR 32" TV, bought in 1993 has been fantastic. I'd definitely consider buying another one of their high-end TVs, but doubt that I'd buy their other A/V components.

Oscar Neundorfer
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2000 11:01 AM      Profile for Oscar Neundorfer   Author's Homepage   Email Oscar Neundorfer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think SONY tv's must be made by a different division that actually cares as they seem to work pretty well.

I have a HI-8 Sony Camcorder that I had to have repaired twice to the tune of $300. Both times, the problem was bad soldering. I also had a SONY car radio that had bad soldering problems and had to be repaired. Both units suffered intermittent problems due to poor soldering on surface mount components. I was told by the service shop ( a very reputable place) that soldering problems are TYPICAL and very common on SONY products.

On the other hand my wife has a SONY component stereo system that has never needed repair.

But back to the topic, it is definitely bad that someone would try to get you in trouble for expressing your opinion. As a representative of SMART Devices, I have made it clear in this forum that I am willing to listen and respond to your comments about SMART equipment even when it hurts. I have not promised to always be able to solve every problem or please everyone. But I believe it is important for manufacturers to at least LISTEN to what is being said about them and to respond APPROPRIATELY.

Best regards,

------------------
Oscar Neundorfer
Chief Engineer
SMART Devices, Inc.

oscar@smartdev.com

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-10-2000 11:04 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sony's TV's are usually very good. I would buy another one. I forgot about the camcorders and car stereos that I own that are made by Sony that have also needed extensive repairs.

Kevin Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2000 12:23 PM      Profile for Kevin Crawford   Email Kevin Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let all of us be thankful that Christie doesn't go after us. I think even Joe might be in trouble for his thoughts on the product.

But Sony is not the only one that has tried this scare tactic. I heard a story about DTS trying to get someone fired for speaking their mind about their product. This was several years ago. The way I heard it, this guy talked to DTS because there were no discs provided with a print. Then later that week he was bitching about it in a newsgroup. Someone from DTS put 2 and 2 together and called the home office and wanted him fired.

First of all, I defend that person's right to say what they feel. But he should not blame DTS for not having discs with all prints. It is not their fault. They make a great product, minus the Toshiba drives, and they have great support as well.

But back to Sony. I have not been fortunate enough, or unfortunate as the case may be, to work with one on a day to day basis. But dealing with service calls because of problems, they are a pain in the a$@! I would not suggest to anyone that they should buy one. Go with DTS or Dolby.

Martin Frandsen
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2000 12:40 PM      Profile for Martin Frandsen   Email Martin Frandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sony does have a good side which is there broadcast equiptment, it's the worlds best: professionel cameras, monitors, mixers etc.

I do not like there consumer products either, that's why i have one of Sony's professional 20 inch. monitors in my living room to wacth TV on!

------------------
You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution, Miss Scrumptious! - CCBB

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-10-2000 12:55 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Martin,
I personally hate Sony Broadcast equipment. I actually like the SDDS system better. I ahve a broadcast background and I have had to repair too much of it. The stuff's not rock solid like really well built broadcast equipment is. Personally I'd go with Ikegami, or BTL(Phillips)or an old RCA camera any day over Sony.
Mark

Rory Burke
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2000 01:06 PM      Profile for Rory Burke   Email Rory Burke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SONY WHO!?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: