Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Dolby Cat64 or 64B ? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Dolby Cat64 or 64B ?
Nic Dreier
Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2000 04:22 AM      Profile for Nic Dreier   Email Nic Dreier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there,

Lately I checked our soundequipment, when I discovered, that there were two different types of the EQ-card (Dolby Cat64 and Cat64B) installed in the units. Does anyone know the difference between these two cards?

Thanks for your help

Best Regards

Nic

|  IP: Logged

Ari Nordström
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2000 02:44 PM      Profile for Ari Nordström   Email Ari Nordström   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the 64B is a later model, with greatly improved filters and a (much) higher signal to noise ratio. The Cat 64's been around since the CP50, at least. I do believe that they are pin compatible, though (can anyone confirm this?), so if you can choose, take the 64B.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 08-20-2000 03:59 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm quite sure that the 64 is interchangeable with the 64B. On the used market, there's a big price difference between original CP50s and upgraded ones (usually with the 108C preamp card, the 150E or F matrix, the 64B EQ cards, and maybe the 160 subwoofer card and 113C automation switch card).

Alan Lyman
Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2000 12:18 AM      Profile for Alan Lyman   Email Alan Lyman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The two Cat's 64 are interchangeble.
Please note though,that that the 64,has trimpots for level,and these should be adjusted when using it with SR-cards in a CP50.

Kevin Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2000 01:56 AM      Profile for Kevin Crawford   Email Kevin Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a new sub card for the CP 50. It is the CAT 560. Not only does it give a sub, but also split surrounds with a parametric EQ. I have not seen one, but I have talked to Dolby about it. It lists for about $500.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 08-21-2000 04:03 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't you have to do some major modifications to the backplane of a CP50 to use the 560? I am pretty sure its not plug-and-play...

Aaron

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-21-2000 05:46 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, there are modifications to be done to the main board.

Bill Purdy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2000 09:15 AM      Profile for Bill Purdy   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Purdy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Cat. No. 64 actually goes back much earlier than the CP-50. Not only was it used in the CP-100, but in the original Dolby Mono system. That is what the "Head Equalizer" adjusters are about. Dolby tracks didn't have the same curve as the old Academy curve and so they needed some extra HF tweaking.

------------------
Bill Purdy
Component Engineering

Ken Jacquart
Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2000 09:29 AM      Profile for Ken Jacquart   Author's Homepage   Email Ken Jacquart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Be aware that the Cat. No. 517 / 560 combination does not provide split surrounds while installed in a CP50. It does provide surround and subwoofer EQ of course.

ken

Kevin Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2000 01:43 PM      Profile for Kevin Crawford   Email Kevin Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken what does the CAT 517 do?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-21-2000 02:58 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The 517 is an upgraded version of the 117 output card. There are no new features.

Ken, properly modified, a CP50 can run split surround with a second 117 in the spare slot with a direct JM11/JM21 digital loop. (Of course, I'm sure you were referring specifically to "unmodified" units.)

Chris Trainor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2000 08:45 PM      Profile for Chris Trainor   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Trainor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've actually noticed that there are 2 different versions of the Cat 64B. One has the older style (rounded edge) trimpots and the newer one has the flat trims. I havn't found much difference in sound quality, but with just a quick look you can see if the board you have is one of the new 64b's as opposed to the original 64b.

--Chris

Chris Trainor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2000 08:46 PM      Profile for Chris Trainor   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Trainor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, actually, when you use either the 517, or 560 there are mods you have to do to the backplane. Actually if you use both, there are some separate mods. I'm pretty sure Brad has the manuals online as to how to deal with them. It's not too tough, but it's a real pain in the neck to go back once you've made them.

Andrew Poulain
Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2000 03:41 PM      Profile for Andrew Poulain   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Poulain   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Cat No. 517 card has improved VCA/Line amplifers built into the card. There is an improvement in headroom and has lower distortion over the older Cat No. 117 cards. Additionally there is a treble boost for the screen channel speakers. This is good for sites that have older passive crossovers, or active crossovers without screen loss compensation.

------------------
Andrew M. Poulain
Field Service Technician
THX Division
Lucasfilm Ltd.
apoulain@thx.com
415-492-3955
Cel: 415-302-0825

Ken Jacquart
Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2000 09:19 PM      Profile for Ken Jacquart   Author's Homepage   Email Ken Jacquart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, now how are we going to sell any CP650's having revealed the secret mod to the CP50!

ken

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: