Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Presentation complaints and compliments (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Presentation complaints and compliments
Dave Cutler
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-25-2000 12:30 PM      Profile for Dave Cutler   Email Dave Cutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does any chain have an established way of complaining at the theatre? If people complain or compliment my theatre on the presentation it probably goes to the ushers and ends there, the booth staff never gets the message.

I think that guests do notice all the problems that can happen during a presentation, but find it is to much of a hassle to find someone and complain. Then if they do find someone they are just handed passes and feel that nothing will be done to correct the problem. Having any easy to fill out card with yes/no questions or perhaps multiple choice selections would be a great help.

Seems to me that every theatre, especially mega-plex's, should have a comment card and box prominently displayed near all the main exits. This way it isn't an inconvience to the guest to make the complaint (or compliment) and there is a written record of it so the right people get the message. If you find that you get more complaints during one persons shift you know that they aren't doing their job right and can be handled appropriately.

Seems like common sense, but I can't think of any theatre I have ever been to that has something even remote like this in place.

|  IP: Logged

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-25-2000 12:42 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regal has a comment card on their website and has the same comment cards in their lobbies that customers can fill out and mail in. I know that the WWW feedback gets emailed to the theatre manager, because managers at two different theatres have thanked me for some that I sent in. (I send not only negative feedback, but positive feedback as well). Check out www.regalcinemas.com and look at their comment card. Their comments are limited to 255 characters, though, and many times, I've needed more than that, since I often prefer to be more specific and technical than most patrons. I'm not sure if the comment card feedback goes to any upper level management or not. Some of mine used to. Some even got copied to Roger Frazee, the VP of Technical Services at Regal.

I consider my WWW site http://home.hiwaay.net/~criswell/theatre/ to be a good way of providing detailed feedback to everyone about my experiences in theatres. (Look at the theatre ratings table and the individual listings of showings for each). Carmike has looked at it, but I've never received any hits from the regalcinemas.com domain. I've only been contacted once by any theatre manager about the site. I could write a Perl program to fill in Regal's comment card on their WWW site for all of my Regal visits in the past short while, by reading my data and filling in the comments field based on it, but that would be mean.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-25-2000 04:07 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
General Cinema does (or at least did) this. The nice part was the cards went directly to the home office and then were returned to the theater so the management could read them. If it was a booth related comment, the card went to the projectionists.

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-25-2000 04:14 PM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
UCI Cinemas in the UK had a comment card system that the manager would be given and perhaps passed onto the Projectionist.

The Art House cinema I worked at also had the comment card system, but most time we were never informed of any problems until the next day!.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-25-2000 05:27 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Buck Pauses Here!

As owners who are at the theatre every day, we hear the complaints first hand. It isn't any easier to get bitched at when your the owner than it is to get bitched at when you are just and usher making $6 per hour. While I may have more answers than the usher, I sometimes am at a loss for the solution.

It is most disturbing to have someone complain to you about something that you have worked on and then it still isn't to their satisfaction.

Representative Comlaints That Sting.

"our chairs are uncomfortable."We took over this buisness and put in alot of hard work and money. It always raises my hackles when our best still isn't good enough.

"The senoir price is cheaper down the road." (It isn't) I am thinking of raising our senoir price from $4.50 to $5.50 just to give some weight to their bitches.

"The print of Bridge on the River Kwai isn't very good." I thought it was damn good for a 1957 film that was last restord and printed in 1985. It was better than most subrun prints.

"Why should I pay you $7.50 when I can rent this film at Blockbusters for $3.00?" Why are you standing in front of me?

"How come you don't serve Nachos in your concession stand?" We didn't think you date would find you very attractive with yellow cheese on your shirt. Oh! my mistake, what date?

"How come you don't have THX like the big 14-plex down the street?" THX would require tearing the building down and starting over. Do you have $5,000,000 you can give us?

Yesterday I had a guy who didn't buy a ticket because he didn't believe me when I told him that our matinee price was for the first show only. He informed me that a matinee price was good until 6:00 PM. I informed him that I owned the theatre, I set the rules, the rules are posted on our website, newspaper, box office and phone message machine.

Then I had a lady who told me that I should have a senior discount price on top of our matinee discount price. She seemed to feel that our entertainment was worth $2.00.

There's no pleasing all of the people all of the time. There's some people who are never pleased. There are some people I am convinced, who leave the house looking to pick a fight. There's no pleasing them.

Thank you for allowing me to vent my spleen here as opposed to ventalating my patrons.

Tom Kroening
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-25-2000 05:41 PM      Profile for Tom Kroening   Email Tom Kroening   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the comment card is a great way for us to listen to our customers. Just like Evans said, when a customer fills out the card and sends it in, we get an email with the compliment/complaint so that we have direct feedback to what our customers want. I must admit that I have seen a few complaints that simply could not have happened. The cards welcome honesty, but there are those that would abuse them to get others in trouble.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-25-2000 09:05 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian,

I can feel for you on all but the seat issue. Not knowing your seats and as to their uncomfortableness or, on a positive side, how comfy they are, if a person finds your seats uncomfortable, no matter how much hard work, time money...etc you put into them, that person found them uncomfortable. It is an opinion thing that, if only one person in 1,000 feels then you are only upsetting a realatively small number. If on the other hand 10 out of every hundred feels uncomfortable in your chairs then there is indeed a problem that would, to some degree, cost you business.

In other words, when someone complains about a problem that you have addressed to some degree, evaluate the complaint(s) and either you have a never-to-be-pleased patron or you still have a problem, even after your hard work and money. It isn't the patron's fault that they don't like what you have done.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Ky Boyd
Hey I'm #23

- posted 08-26-2000 12:43 AM      Profile for Ky Boyd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

The seat complaint Ian and I receive is only occassionally and usually means the patron has sat in a seat that has worked its way loose and needs adjustment. We look for these problems and correct them to the best of our ability. We'd, of course, love to put in brand new seats with all the latest frills, but bottom line it costs way too much (about $150,000 + shipping, installation, taxes, disposal of old chairs, etc.).

The other part about being an owner, that Ian didn't mention, is that we also get lots of compliments on our theatre as well as many thanks for bringing independent, foreign and classic films to Sonoma County. Most of our regular patrons are extremely supportive and glad we are hear. And they do let us know when we've screwed up and when we've done well. The print condition on Bridge was interesting to me because I received a couple of compliments from customers on how surprised they were that the print was good. We, of course, gave it the Film-Guard treatment and it probably left here cleaner than when we recieved it.

The web is a wonderful tool for hearing from customers. We recieve many e-mails every week, both positive and negative. Fortunately the good ones outweight the bad and the bad ones are usually stuff that we learn from.

James Perry Jr
Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2000 01:24 AM      Profile for James Perry Jr   Email James Perry Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The chain I work for, Dickinson, has a comment card. Some customers seek out our web site and make their complaints via email. Then that email gets put into a database for the whole company to see. Fun when you are having problems. Usually from customers, we only hear only the complaints. From our techs and company folks, we get compliments and other warm fuzzies. Life goes on. I am not real sure that the average customer is equipped to compliment the presentation. I figure keep the complaints to a nominal level with a full commitment to best presentation(s) possible and all is good. That is all anyone can ask of you. There is some good that can come from customer complaints though.

When I first took over my booth, it was mass chaos. Picture every horror story you have heard from various booths and bring them to life all in one location -everyday. The guy who did prints would toss trailers across the booth to unwind them. I about had a stroke when I saw that. They dropped a print. It took them three days to get it back up on screen. That’s right THREE DAYS. Scratches (the whole spectrum of colors – favorite of which was green) and sound problems (name it, we heard it) were a regular occurrence. I had a guy that would make adjustments to the sound reader head on the fly. It was my private hell for three months. My district advisor had me sit down and read through all our complaints. Half of the complaints for our chain were on our theater alone. It helped me quite a bit to pin point problems and problem people. I had pages of documentation to get rid of some of the little idiots. Documentation is key in our sue-happy society. And seeing how my theater is right in the middle of one of the wealthiest counties in the nation, Johnson County, KS, the little idiots posed a real legal risk. I had to have the mounds of documentation to why they should never work in a theater again. Lucky for me, they screwed up in ways that bought them instant termination – No call, no show. Then, they went to work for AMC. The AMC 30 in Olathe has picked up a number of Dickinson rejects.

Also, customer comments are good entertainment value. “Can you turn on the THX?” That by far is my favorite. “Can’t you rewind the movie?” That is another top favorite. I always enjoying hearing customer comments.

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2000 01:50 AM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Turn on the THX? You must be at WestGlen...

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-26-2000 02:19 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite is the bozos who come out and proceed to argue that the sound system is screwed up. It seems that almost every time the customer is bitching because the surround speakers "are not on". Try and explain to them that a Meryl Streep dialogue movie is not supposed to have talking coming from the surrounds and it's always "well I have a THX system at home and in MY theater every speaker plays all of the time like it is supposed to".

I've given up explaining their system has got some pretty MAJOR problems if dialogue from their 5.1 channel DVD player is coming out of every speaker. In all honesty, I wish THX had never put their seal of approval on equipment. People actually believe they have a THX system just because they bought an amplifier that has the logo on it!

Kevin Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2000 02:36 AM      Profile for Kevin Crawford   Email Kevin Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite was when I did an A chain that was severly out of phase. The people at the theatre complained because their surrounds weren't working all the time. And they wouldn't believe me that they are not suppose to be on all the time.

And Brad is right. GCC still does have the comment cards that go to the home office.
The other chain I work for has cards that can either go in to the comment box, or be mailed to the home office. The downside is that you have to put a stamp on it. I think that if they really wanted to get customers input they would have bulk mail stamps on them. That way people are more likely to send in positive as well as negative comments. Because it seems like people are more likely to send them in if they are upset.

Travis Cape
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2000 09:45 AM      Profile for Travis Cape   Email Travis Cape   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My sympathy to Ian. We are plagued with three groups of people. First, the ones that say we are doing a great job and ask us why don't we go reopen the other old theatres? Second, the fairly normal ones that recognize the absudity in asking which way do I go in a one screen. The Third class is the best, We have the lowest prices, but it's still to high! One lady looked at me seriously after complaining about the ticket price and said I remember when popcorn was a dime. I of course replied, I'm sorry I don't and went on. Try to please then all but realize that it is impossible. No matter what is said, I know that we are providing excellent value, customer service, good presentation quality, and a very unique environment.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 08-26-2000 11:25 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Complaints? heard'em all. Don't use comment cards--whoever gets the complaint is directed to bring it to the attention of management or proj. room ASAP.
Seats? they're all bad, tough
Sound too loud, not loud enough, heard both at the same time.
Too warm or too cool? see above.
Naked people and profanity? notice the R on the marquee.
Too many people in theatre. Don't come on Sat. nite.
Can't we do something about fire trucks & sirens going by outside?
During first pard of Wizard of Oz--you have lost the color, if you don't fix it soon we are going to leave.

Probably 3/4 of the complaints are things you can do nothing about other than just say uh huh and thank for bringing it to our attention.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2000 12:56 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the biggest problems with customer feedback is that most customers do not have the technical knowledge to know HOW to provide proper feedback. Nearly every customer that goes in a theatre has little or no idea what actually goes on upstairs. When a customer notices something that they perceive to be a problem, they try to explain it in terms of things that they understand, which seldom results in a proper complaint.

My most frequent negative feedback notes include:

1. Projector aim problems, aperture plate misalignments, masking misalignments. (Image not projected with sharp edges in alignment with the screen masking). This also includes cases where a flat film is projected with side masking set for scope.

2. Misframings (usually on flat films, when the screen is filled with image, but framing is off by a foot or more on the screen).

3. Lack of adjustable masking (Scope movies shown at 1.85:1 in the Huntsville Regal theatres in two thirds of the auditoriums -- I HATE THAT!)

4. Out of frame splices between trailers or in the movie itself.

5. Sound systems dropping from digital to optical and back often during the show.

Sometimes, there are defects for which I do not know the technical reason. In those cases, I simply describe the problem as it appeared to me in terms of what I saw or heard.

For a complete set of compliments/complaints for every showing 1997 and on, see http://home.hiwaay.net/~criswell/theatre/

Like I said previously, it seems that only one local manager has taken the page seriously. Unfortunately, that manager has been moved to another location.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: