Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Lenses - What Have I Got? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Lenses - What Have I Got?
Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2000 12:28 PM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So many questions (more when I get back to working on my XL's in the fall). But today, I'm wondering what types of lenses I have, or more accurately, what they will be suitable for. They were in use at a drive-in previously:

SCOPE : Baush & Lomb CinemaScope Projector Attachment I WITH Kollmorgen Optical Corp
BX241 f:1.9 4-3/4 in. E.F.

(range around the B&L from 70 to 500)

FLAT : G.T.S. G-2156

Can anyone tell me what these are and what kinds of throw/light/screens these might be suitable for in a range? The Scope lenses look very good save for dust/grease maybe. What can I use to clean without damaging them? The flat look OK on the outer lens, circular scratches on the inner from years of cleaning I'd guess. Why is there no "range" on the flats? Can lenses be re-ground and/or replaced? Of course, new lenses will be ordered for a public DI, but I'm wondering where (and how big) to make my backyard "test" screen. Thank you.

------------------
Dave Bird

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-26-2000 01:48 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The anamorphic is an adapter and must be focused independently to the back lens (which is in essence just a flat lens of a different focal length)

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 08-26-2000 03:05 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To calculate lens & screen size you just use High School math:

A given dimension of the aperture times the focal length is proportional to the like dimesion of the screen times the throw.

Don't forget that your anamorphic (Scope) lens has a magnification difference when you use the horizontal dimension.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-26-2000 03:46 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Download the lens calculator program from the manual page here. It is the easiest way to get a good idea of your lens situation.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 08-26-2000 06:56 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have High School math ability? Do it by hand. Write out the equation, plug in the values for the lens, throw and screen you already have in operation. Insert the value for the aperture plate you use. If you don't know or can't look it up just measure as accurately as you can. (Your purpose here is just 'academic' so you don't have to be really accurate.) Once you have THIS one solved, plug in the values for the lenses you want to know about. You can compare things that way and you'll learn some stuff, too.

It's all based on proportions: A lens that'll produce a 20 foot picture from 50 feet away will produce a 10 foot picture at 25 feet away. Cut the focal length of the lens in half, and you'll produce the original size picture again. (At 1/2 the original throw distance)

Yes, I LIKE the lens calculator program. It comes in handy if you need accurate information or if you have to do a lot of them. It's also cool just to noodle around with just to learn stuff.

I just think that too many people resort to computers and calculators too quickly these days. Back when *I* was in school, not only would my teachers holler at me the other kids would have seriously ridiculed me!

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 08-26-2000 11:11 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave,
The f/1.9 is good (better than f/2). Only thing is, if that's a red-ring Bausch & Lomb, the insides get yellow. Hold it up to a well-lit, white surface and look through the lens with one eye, but keep both eyes open.

You'll see the discoloration as you compare the through-the-lens view to the unaided view.

------------------
Better Projection Pays!

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-27-2000 11:06 AM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks fellas. Tim, (to an untrained eye anyway), they actually look pretty clear. I don't really know how old they are. What will cause them to yellow? Is there a recommended place to store them? I think they'll be fine to use privately. The fellow who had them kept them in his house along with the gates and 2000' magazines so the kids wouldn't take them. Is it possible to have the optics in a lens re-ground, replaced etc?

So anamorphics merely "stretch" the light passing through a flat lense? Are the flat lenses adjustable for distance? Fixable? (for scratches).A drive-in recently re-opened in eastern Ontario and I had heard the last thing they were waiting for was the lenses, which were bsing "refurbished" in Montreal. Any ideas what they might have been doing?

Again, I will buy new lenses should I ever charge admissions, but for now, just wondering if I can use what I've got. Thank you.

------------------
Dave Bird

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-27-2000 11:35 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Typically lens can not be refurbished( as in reground or recoated) in a cost effective manner. If some one is doing that they are beening had
Your B&L have a bit of yellowing this was a flaw in B&L's coating process and every anamorphic they made had this flaw
Use the lens calc program to determine the size of the screen you need depending on your throw with your existing lens

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-27-2000 01:43 PM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't suppose someone could walk me very slowly through the formula (with details for a novice)? I've killed the part of my computer that opens zip files. I have no screen at the moment, so I can put it wherever I want.

------------------
Dave Bird

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-27-2000 02:00 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
throw/width of screen = apperture width/focal lenght of lens

remeber scope the focal length is double the calculation because of the 2x squeeze

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 08-27-2000 02:38 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave; tell us lens sizes you have, throw, etc. and we can figure stuff out for you.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-27-2000 02:38 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave I emailed you an unzipped copy of lenscalc

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 08-27-2000 03:24 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's the difference between the B&L scope lenses? I have a black one with silver ring at home that gives a beautiful picture, even with a short (~25 feet) throw. I used to work at a theatre that had a pair of the silver/red-ring B&L scope adapters which were both absolutely horrible, but in different ways...

Is there a difference between the black and silver lenses? Did I get lucky with my home setup? Was the theatre just unlucky that the glue had separated on both lenses?

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 08-27-2000 04:12 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, the silver-ring B&L's were later models, without the bad coatings. The red-ring's went back to '53.

Dave, you have to look at a brightly-lit white surface with one eye, while you look at the same surface, through the lens, with the other (like looking through binoculars, with one side missing). Both eyes open at the same time. You'll see the yellowing in the lenses.

------------------
Better Projection Pays!

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-27-2000 04:18 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The black with silver were the last B&L's
All there anamorphics do discolour with time it was there coatings
Most of the B&L that have poor focus have been taken apart by someone. THey are not the easiest item to reasemble compared to most other anamorphs they are very complex
Also they will go soft with time from what I was told was the deacy caused by the ultraviolet light that is higher with xenon
Also the date the elements were ground is stamped on the inside edge of the front element and if you hold them on the right angle it is usually faintly visible

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: