Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Help- Xenon XCN Console (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Help- Xenon XCN Console
Marc Jones
Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2000 05:39 PM      Profile for Marc Jones   Email Marc Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nuemade Console: that the bulb does not lite.
1. The bulb had 4000hrs on it so I replaced it. - no effect.
2. Verified the 3pahse power into the recterfier and contactor on the power supply, I have voltage and I ohmed out the contactor they tested OK.
3. Voltage on the +,- terminals was 3.6 v dc
0 v ac.
Any ideas
Thanks Marc Jones

|  IP: Logged

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2000 05:49 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you check the diodes in the power supply?

Sean M. Grimes
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2000 06:04 PM      Profile for Sean M. Grimes   Author's Homepage   Email Sean M. Grimes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marc,

I totally agree with Ken on this one - make sure you check out the diodes with a multimeter. After working with the XCN consoles for quite a few years Almost all of the problems concerning ignition are the diodes or the contactor. Also check and make sure that the ignitor connectors are "firmly" connected. The Irem power supplies are built like a tank, at least in my opinion. But I am allways changing out the diodes.

Marc Jones
Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2000 06:06 PM      Profile for Marc Jones   Email Marc Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not yet, I thought I'd download the manual first, I'm checking them next.
Thanks
Marc Jones

Marc Jones
Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2000 06:12 PM      Profile for Marc Jones   Email Marc Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One more quick question if I find A diode that has failed replace the bad one or all?
Thanks
Marc Jones

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-26-2000 06:12 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the voltage to be on 3.6 volts all the diodes would have to have failed so look at the contactor and make sure there is power on both sides of it Ie it has pulled in

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 08-26-2000 06:32 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Forgive me for asking a stupid question but have you verified that any and all interlock switches are closed?

I have taken NUMEROUS calls from people at theatres who don't know what to do and EVERY SINGLE TIME it was a bad interlock (safety) switch. We had to drive 250 miles only to find that one of the switches was bad. (To the theatre's credit, it was a hidden switch)

Usually there's a switch on the door(s). Maybe one in the "stack" and likely one on the lamp blower. You'll find "proof paddles" on the blower switches. Make sure they haven't come loose and that the switches are all okay.

Again, I don't want to sound like I'm saying something stupid but we've fielded literally a DOZEN calls for this very thing. Every single one was due to a busted interlock / safety switch.

Marc Jones
Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2000 07:05 PM      Profile for Marc Jones   Email Marc Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The interlock switches seem to be working the contactor on the power supply will energize, so I assume the interlock loop is made Door switches and blower switch
Thanks
Marc Jones

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2000 09:03 PM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your problem is most likely the contactor. You must power up and energize the contactor, then check the voltage across each of the outputs of it to each other AND to GROUND, your reading should be 208 / 240 volts from one to another, and 120 / 195 volts from one contact to ground. (Higher voltage is for 120/240V 3 phase) If you have sufficient voltage at the output of the contactor, you may have an open transformer. Look for hot or burned connections. Good luck!

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 08-27-2000 12:29 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it's the same as ours, the XCN console (configured to run a 4000 watt lamp) has 3 interlock switches; one each in the upper and lower door key lock, and another in the larger door in the back (interlocked with the allen screw.) Also, some models have an "air-flow" vane switch (shuts off the power to the contactor if there's no air flow.) That micro-switch gets dirty, and won't move. Although, if the contactor pulls in, the interlock switches are probably OK.

There's a small fuse inside that's special; it's round and looks a little like a transistor. It's on the PC board next to the hour meter (on the inside.) It's part of the ingition system. I'm assuming you already checked the 3AG fuse, and the mechanical circuit breaker (button.)

I usually only change the one diode that went bad; they are not "matched" to each other or anything.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-27-2000 08:51 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For there to be only 3.6 volts on the rectifiers output terminals would require all the diode to have failed not just 1 or 2

Marc Jones
Film Handler

- posted 08-27-2000 02:32 PM      Profile for Marc Jones   Email Marc Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is were I'm at.
1. Check Diodes and found one shorted out and replaced. Output is 3.8Vdc
2. The contactor voltage wise phase to pase checked out OK, but I did notice that it looks like the wiring to contactor has gotten hot, so I'm replacing it Monday.
The console is a 2 Kw unit.
Note one thing that was strange.
I had voltage (115V)from a phase to ground on on all three terminals on the line side, and (115V) on two of the terminals on the load side of the contactor even thought it wasn't energize.
Thanks for the help so far
Marc Jones

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-27-2000 02:35 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Soundslike it is the contactor then

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 08-28-2000 08:03 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it ain't the interlock, diodes or bulb then I'd be looking at the contactor, too.

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2000 10:02 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Marc,
It's been a couple of years, but I remember having this same problem. It ended up being a fuse that is located near the contactor. It's a glass fuse that is in the lower compartment either beneath the contactor, or behind it(if you're looking at it from the operator side). It was a pain to find because you have to lay down to get to it.

I'm confused about what you said about the contactor. You said that the voltage "phase to phase" was O.K., I assume that this means that your getting 110V to ground on all phases of the load side of the contactor? If this is the case, it should not matter that you get any voltage when it's not energized.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: