Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » The Art Of War - Defect ??

Author Topic: The Art Of War - Defect ??
Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-27-2000 01:22 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone noticed on the left side of the image how it is curved?

Image looking at a scope trailer that was made from a flat negative and the cropping on the left and right hand side.

Now image that you can see minor cropping on the left side of the image. Only once during the ending did white light shine through for a few seconds.

Paul.

|  IP: Logged

Gregory Brannon
Film Handler

- posted 08-27-2000 05:14 PM      Profile for Gregory Brannon   Email Gregory Brannon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw The Art of War today at the United Artist MacArthur Marketplace Theatres. I can't say that I noticed it. But perhaps I was distracted with anger because I drove out there hoping that it would be presented in DD Surround EX but they had it in a SDDS auditorium with the signs stating that the movie was presented in SDDS. Which was obviously incorrect. Considering I've heard that it's only in Dolby Digital not DTS or SDDS.

Nic Margherio
Film Handler

- posted 08-27-2000 08:22 PM      Profile for Nic Margherio   Email Nic Margherio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gregory, your information is correct - "Art of War" has neither a DTS or an SDDS track, yet it has SRD-EX. Whats up with that? It is indeed a Warner Brothers release which for a good two years now have carried all three tracks on all releases. All of our booking information indicated that it was a tri-digital print which is probably why the theatre you attended had SDDS advertised. It suprised the heck out of me when I built it up and found no DTS or SDDS track. Anybody with any info on this?

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 08-28-2000 04:32 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! A film in EX! Quick, bottle it. One day it will be rare...no wait...that IS rare already.

Paul Cunningham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2000 07:48 AM      Profile for Paul Cunningham   Email Paul Cunningham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We currently have a few Ex films, Gone in 60 seconds, Dinosaur, Perfect Storm, X-men, MI2 and Gladiator. Thats enough for me as we only have EX in two auditoriums.

Cheers Paul

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-28-2000 03:53 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, where are you getting your information? Not all of those are in EX to my understanding.

Paul Cunningham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2000 07:00 PM      Profile for Paul Cunningham   Email Paul Cunningham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, you're right, I looked up the Dolby home page and it only lists Gladiator and Perfect Storm as having EX. When I go to work tomorrow I will find out where we got the other info.

Paul Cunningham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2000 08:01 AM      Profile for Paul Cunningham   Email Paul Cunningham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, its me again!
AJ from my work, if you read this there is no offence meant.
I went to work and tried to determine how to tell an EX print from a normal SRD one. I studied the leaders of all the films in question, the best I could come up with is they all say SRD/DTS/SDDS. Gladiator says this print in EX on the plastic shippers in the boxes. Perfect storm says nothing. I looked up IME and MovieTrader, they only list films as SRD and dont mention EX. I couldnt find the relevant press sheets, maybe we dont have them.
I approached my supervisor (the one who says which films are EX) about the dolby web page, this is what he said:
Dolby hasnt updated the site for ages and many films are missing- I find this hard to believe as The Art of War is listed.
He has other mysterious 'trade' sources of what is EX although he couldnt give me a definite example.
He also said that he 'just knows' what types of movies will be in EX.

Anyway, me and the other casual had a good laugh about it because if we forget to turn the EX on or off, the shit really flies. Each print is labelled EX, the processor has a little note on it and the projector has another note, just so we dont forget.

Cheers Paul

Dave Cutler
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2000 10:07 AM      Profile for Dave Cutler   Email Dave Cutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, check out this web site...
http://www.filmreleases.com/

it's pretty accurate as to what sound formats each film will be in. Click on the '2000 Film Release Scheduel' in the upper left corner, to see a list of every movie released so far this year and what is going to be released this year. I don't know his sources but he is usually right.

Paul Cunningham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2000 05:10 PM      Profile for Paul Cunningham   Email Paul Cunningham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Dave

Paul

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: