Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Threading Tips

Author Topic: Threading Tips
David Emery
Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2000 11:33 AM      Profile for David Emery   Email David Emery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, was that a new projector that you did the Threading Tips with. The last time I saw our M35GP's look that nice was the day we opened. I always though I was doing a pretty good job of getting them cleaned out each week but your photos in the treading tips section show absolutly no dust at all anyware in the projector. If our projectors ever got to look like that again I would think I died and gone to heaven.
Is that the result of Film Guard.

I also have 1 question about your threading tips

What about those of us that have the penthouse DTS or DD readers that hook to a juncion box near the port. You can't just tread the top roller of the projector and go back to the platter because you will never get the film past the wire.
I was thinking of running the film down to the bottom roller but it could scratch the leader against the projector doing it that way. Also we are running Strong AP3 platters that have the auto switch in them for the rewind platter. The only way to cancel it is to flip the switch for the Makeup system.

|  IP: Logged

Tom Kroening
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2000 01:48 PM      Profile for Tom Kroening   Email Tom Kroening   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just run the leader through the top roller then to the bottom and back to the platter. The same problem exists on liquid cooled aperture plates (you can't get the film past the hoses). Don't worry about scratching the leader it will be fine. If the leader gets caught on something though, don't tug it free or you will damage it. I usually run the leader on the left side of the framing knob so it rests on the shutter cover (but thats on simplex projectors).

David Emery
Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2000 02:07 PM      Profile for David Emery   Email David Emery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahh the old days of running Simplexes, I worked for 2 years with that kind of projection head. Dont you just love the oil slicks hehe.
Those things were always fun trying to keep them cleaned out with all the oil getting all over the area around the intermittent.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-02-2000 06:39 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate installations where there is conduit going from the penthouse straight over to the wall. It is so inconsiderate of the projectionists who must thread those machines thousands of times.

Don't thread through that lower magazine roller. Instead, thread to the top roller and wrap the film around the projector (on machines like Simplex or Century you can open the soundhead door to ensure the film doesn't flop around the front of the projector) and straight back to the platter. If you run it through that bottom roller, that puts the film closer to the floor and you will stand a far greater chance of getting the leader on the floor, which will pick up dust and dirt which transfers to the print, a couple of layers every performance. That's why the very first trailer on the roll always looks so bad at most theaters.

Nothing special was done to the projectors before the pictures were taken. Yes, FilmGuard keeps them that clean. Our practice is to wipe them with a shop rag at power down at the end of the day. Part of the pictures were taken before the 7PM rush and the rest were taken before the last rush at 10PM.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-02-2000 06:40 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate installations where there is conduit going from the penthouse straight over to the wall. It is so inconsiderate of the projectionists who must thread those machines thousands of times.

Don't thread through that lower magazine roller. Instead, thread to the top roller and wrap the film around the projector (machines like Simplex or Century you can open the soundhead door to ensure the film doesn't flop around the front of the projector) and straight back to the platter. If you run it through that bottom roller, that puts the film closer to the floor and you will stand a far greater chance of getting the leader on the floor, which will pick up dust and dirt which transfers to the print, a couple of layers every performance. That's why the very first trailer on the roll always looks so bad at most theaters.

Nothing special was done to the projectors before the pictures were taken. Yes, FilmGuard keeps them that clean.

Ethan Harper
E-dawggg!!!

- posted 09-02-2000 08:12 PM      Profile for Ethan Harper   Email Ethan Harper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had that same problem with one of the projectors here where I am currently working. We just simply angled the bottom roller more towards the wall and past the hoses and realigned it with platters. Now all is good and nothing is in the way. .

------------------
--"That's my story and i'm sticking to it!"--

Tom Kroening
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2000 01:29 AM      Profile for Tom Kroening   Email Tom Kroening   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ya know, I really wish i could bring myself to thread backwards, but I would be the only one. The leader is hella chewed up by someone also (sorta feel like im fighting a war by myself).

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 09-03-2000 01:34 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom,

I know how you feel. You have to give it a go though even if you are the only one. Someone must lead for others to follow...and they will.

It may take a little time, but eventually, they will see the benefits. The main thing is to let them know that even though they will be all thumbs to begin with, with persistance and practice, they will be threading 'up' just as fast and accurately as when they were doing it the wrong way and your prints will thank you for it.

Whoever is crunching your leaders...have them replace it everytime they do it. That will entice them to take a bit more care.

David Emery
Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2000 01:46 AM      Profile for David Emery   Email David Emery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom I know how you feel we have the same problem here. All of our leaders look like shit and I cant do anything about it because I have no more left and the order has been sent to get more but it hasnt arrived. My biggest problem is that autorewind part on the platter. The very last roller that the film goes through before it gets wound on the ring has a tention switch on it. If the film pulls on it the roller moves forward just a little bit triggering the rewind mode on the platter and it take off emediatly. The only way I think I could bypass it without causing problems of forgetting to activate the rewind mode after threading would be be to kick the dancer to the bottom position after getting back to the platter with the film. Then when done threading just spin the platter just a little bit until it kicks in. But I only have 1 problem with that. moving the dancer to the bottom position will prevent the payout platter from spinning also. So my film will wrap wile I am threading the projector.

Any other ideas for my problem.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-03-2000 05:03 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
David,

Specifically what make/model platter is this? There are ways around everything.

David Emery
Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2000 10:08 AM      Profile for David Emery   Email David Emery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They are Strong AP3 Platters. Im not totaly shure what model they are. Ill find out tonight.

George Roher
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2000 11:49 PM      Profile for George Roher   Email George Roher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With Strong platters that have the auto-rewind function, I always switch the take-up platter to make-up. Then I thread the projector "up" and walk back over and switch the platter back on. If you just drop the elevator, that's not going to help much (if you are threading bottom up). The platter will still take off like crazy when you hook the film through the failsafe and the elevator rises.

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 09-04-2000 02:46 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
YEAH - COUGH - I HATE IT WHEN THERE ARE CONDUITS BETWEEN THE PROJECTOR AND THE WALL.

--Whistle--whistle--whistle.

(Sorry - I was just driving a point home with Aaron)

------------------
Scott D. Neff
----------------
www.cinema-west.com

Tom Kroening
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2000 03:27 AM      Profile for Tom Kroening   Email Tom Kroening   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The best way to thread the strong platters is this:

1) Thread through the brain.
2) Pull up the rewind elevator and lock it into position
3) Thread to the projector and back to the elevator
4) on the last roller on the elevator pull quickly and let it fall. This will trigger the microswitch so that the autorewind switch will do nothing.
5)When you are done threading the projector you can jsut tug on the leader and pull the elevator to the top quickly and slowly let out your slack so the film doesnt snap/stretch.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: