Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Pop Quiz & Valvoline?

Author Topic: Pop Quiz & Valvoline?
Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2000 08:05 AM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pop Quiz to myself. My flat lenses are 88.9mm focal length. With 100 foot throw, that's 12'9" x 23'7" image. For scope, 4.75inch (which I figured at 120.65mm) focal length, 100 foot throw, 14'8" x 34'6" image.
Just checking to see if I figured right, if anyone can answer, thanks.

Next, in place of Simplex 10-weight projector oil (and I'm sorry, I know I asked before but can't find it), how about Valvoline SAE10 Non-Detergent (in blue bottles, and ONLY until I can source some real Simplex oil from a reputable dealer who doesn't want to wreck my machines by telling me 40-weight "will do")?

------------------
Dave Bird

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-03-2000 08:23 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave,
Get yourself a gallon of LaVezzi Synthetic Projector Oil. Its the best there is. About 60.00 US per gallon. If you can't find any up there I can send up a gallon. DO NOT use 10 weight non-detergent oil. If you want regular Simplex oil its allot cheaper. At about 10.00 per half gallon. We stock all types of projector oil.
Check www.getgts.com
Best,
Mark

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2000 08:31 AM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mark, I notice you sell 30 wt. simplex oil, but not 40 wt. Is that what you are recommending for simplex sound heads like my 'ol SH-1000? I know it's virtualy impossible to find ND 40 wt., but ND 30 wt is easy to find these days.

regards, Jeff

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 09-03-2000 09:33 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave: Your numbers are right. When I round off to the next lower inch, I get;

100 ft throw, 3.5in fl flat, 4.75in fl scope

flat height = 12ft 8in
flat width = 23ft 6in

scope height = 14ft 8in
scope height = 34ft 8in

Do you have adjustable top masking? If not, the formula has to be worked backwards to find a lens to fit the avaiable height. I usually favor flat, (first) so as an example:

flat is: 100ft throw, 3.5in fl gives:
flat height = 12ft 8in
flat width = 23ft 6in

If top masking is fixed at 12ft 8in, that's what the height for scope will be also. So:

scope is: 100ft throw, 12ft 8in high
(.700 * 100) / 12ft 8in = 5.5in fl lens

scope would have to be a 5.5in fl lens if the top masking cann not be changed.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-03-2000 12:44 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The SAE10 will work
For Years Imperial Oil was the supplier to the two main Canadian Dealers who packaged all the oil in the two circuits they serviced
The table of oil used and I never heard of any problems but one big one
SAE10 Brenkert and Simplex xl
SAE20 Simplex E7 Super Simplex Century Ballantyne (all models)
SAE30 Prevost and Hortson
SAE40 Soundhead oil and Gaumont Kalee projectors
all non detergent
The only major screw up was with Cinemecanica Vic8's
They determined that it was a automatic transmission oil that was being provided with the new heads from Italy but they purcahsed one with a hardner in it by mistake.

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2000 01:23 PM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No adjustable masking John, just adjustable lawn-mowing! I'll need to cut down some hay to build this screen, or right in the middle of the backyard, if wife let's me! These lenses were from a drive-in, and don't seem quite matched for the same size screen, but there must have been good reason. A 200 foot throw would not impede on my backyard, but I don't need a 70 foot screen (yet)!

I put some soundhead oil in my XL's a while back by mistake, haven't really been running them, so I want to change it soon. I've got two big jugs of some kind of oil (form salvage day at the drive-in), but can't recall what it was for. Gordon, is your dealer John K. back from holidays or business trip? I've been unable to reach him, though I've been quite busy myself. I want to convert the oil intakes for upward operation. Thanks for all the replies.

------------------
Dave Bird

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-03-2000 05:11 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gord,
I'd never use straight oil........sometimes there are special rust preventative addatives and penetrators in oil that is used in projectors. This can help keep oil from breaking down, and lubricate the mechanism better. I would never use 20 wt oil in an E-7. A dealer in Chicago had an old can of Simplex oil analyzed a number of years back and it turned out to be right between 8 and 10 weight, and did contain some other stuff as well. Simplex oil was always very thin so it could penetrate down the spirals on shafts ven if partially clogged with gunk. Brenkerts can also use refrigeration oil as well, it is also very thin clear oil.
The best bet is the LaVezzi Oil. Its a good all around oil. I've run it in just about everything out there. Yes, Its expensive, but so are projectors.
Mark

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-03-2000 06:42 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark you and will just have to disagree
I took a can old Simplex E7 oil (the one with the yellow lable and the 3 point base) to imperial oil and it came back as straight pure unadulterated SAE20 no additive nada.
The can was still sealed
Both General Sound (famous Players) and Best Theatre Supply (odeon(now cineplex odeon))
always used that table that came from imperial oil testing of each of the oils back in 1962.
They never had a problem with any machine other than a runin with cinemecanica vic8's

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-04-2000 07:13 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed we will disagree on this. They may have measured the viscosity but thats about all they did. Thats easy to do, but true chemical analysis would have found a bit more than just oil and quite a bit thinner than 20 weight.
Mark

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-04-2000 08:07 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes they did a full analysis of it include some of the graphite and molybased oils used in the phillips portables and some ernamanns

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: