Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Collusieum -Oslo Shown On Learning Channel

Author Topic: Collusieum -Oslo Shown On Learning Channel
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-03-2000 08:17 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While watching a program one night on the Learning Channel about building demolition they showed a 20 story building that was a stones throw from the Colusieum Theater in Oslo. They showed the interior, the huge screen, and interviewed the manager. There were concerns about possible damage to its dome shaped roof, and apparently it is pretty old. The building to be demolished was only about a block away. Things went as expected and no damage was reported to the theater.
Mark

|  IP: Logged

Ari Nordström
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2000 04:24 PM      Profile for Ari Nordström   Email Ari Nordström   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good to know that there was no damage. The Colosseum is one of the most impressive theatres I've ever seen. It's also one of the cleanest, there was not one single popcorn on the floor anywhere in the building, no trashed Coke cans, no candy wrappers, nothing. Amazing, to me at least, used as I am to lobbies where the cleaning lady always misses something.

And yes; the building is rather old. The theatre was thoroughly renovated about two years ago, though, and is in better condition than ever.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-03-2000 05:01 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ari,
Whats in the theater as far as the booth, and speakers. How large is the screen? The shots on TV were impressive to say the least!!
Mark

Ari Nordström
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2000 05:38 PM      Profile for Ari Nordström   Email Ari Nordström   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They have a pair of Victoria 8 projectors equipped with everything from mag heads to DTS (70mm, too, and they've even used the equipment on occasion), SRD, and SDDS. The processor is a CP500, and there is a Dolby MPU with the CP200 colour scheme (a leftover from a CP200; they switched two years ago). There is a huge stack of QSC power amps, and, of course, the customary THX box (the Colosseum is supposed to be the world's largest THX auditorium).

Incidentally, until two years ago, they had a pair of DP70's, and while I have heard mostly good things about the V8, the switch is still a mystery to me.

The auditorium is circular and more than 50 metres in diameter. The screen is heavily curved and about 25 metres wide. The dome you mentioned is quite high, but I'm afraid I don't have any numbers to offer there.

The speakers are JBL: five 5674's and six 4645C's behind the screen, and at least thirty of what looked like 8340's to handle the surrounds. I could be wrong about the number of subwoofers, though. The auditorium is big enough to warrant two more...

It's the only theatre I know of that uses the JBL three-way speakers, BTW. When we were about to renew our equipment, one of the contractors we considered listed the Colosseum as their most important merit and told me about the 5674's. They wanted us to have those, too, but in the end we went for the slightly smaller JBL line...

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-04-2000 07:08 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed switching to Vic 8's should be a great mystery to all here. At least they run 70mm well, but their 35mm picture leaves everything to be desired. No where near as good as a DP-70. The 3 ways are great speakers. I have put in several sets of 5672's and highly reccomend them. The naturalness of the sound has to be heard to be appreciated. They pulled thir CP-200??? Put in Vic 8's?? What's going on here....is it now run by General Cinema? Except for amps and speakers it seems more like an overall downgrade to me.
Mark

Ari Nordström
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2000 02:16 PM      Profile for Ari Nordström   Email Ari Nordström   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Stockholm, there is a wonderful old theatre named Astoria. The place is huge and used to run lots and lots of 70mm features. And until a year or so ago, they had a CP200 with all kinds of AUX racks, 70mm capacity, everything. The equipment was not new, but well proven and worked just fine.

But then, for some reason they switched to a CP500, and SOLD THE MPU...! I know this for a fact since we bought that MPU when we renewed our sound. You explain this; I can't.

This thing with the popularity of the CP500 is a bit weird. I tried to convince our management to get a CP200 if at all possible, but was quickly voted down. Everybody was against me in this from the management to the tech (who should know better).

Not that I don't like the CP500; I do, but there are things that it just won't do.

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2000 01:53 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I totally agree.

When we installed the separate sound system for 35/70mm presentations at the BFI London Imax cinema I had quite a fight convincing the powers that be that we should use a secondhand CP200 in a £20 million ($30million)development. We needed to show all available film and sound formats as authentically as possible.
We can reproduce A type,SR ,SRD,EX,DTS 35 & 70,SDDS 8 channel,70mm Todd format,Dolby mono surround and split surround plus good old mono.
A CP500 just wouldn't hack it.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-05-2000 11:44 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sure doesn't make any sense here. But in some cases if the funds are comming from a bank they want to see all NEW equipment.
Mark

Ari Nordström
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2000 12:32 AM      Profile for Ari Nordström   Email Ari Nordström   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I guess the key word here is NEW. "Used cinema processor" doesn't have a nice ring to it when the top execs brag to each other about their latest investments...

DOLBY! BRING BACK THE CP200!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: