Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Question about Film-Guard

Author Topic: Question about Film-Guard
Doug Fields
Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2000 11:18 PM      Profile for Doug Fields   Email Doug Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Question here.

All you Film-Guard gurus out there. How do re-splices hold on prints treated with Film-Guard? We swap head-ends every damned week here. NCN rules our lives, and we have had times where there has been up to 4 minutes on the head-end. So, my question is... will new splices on treated film work? It won't be too wet? I definitely don't need the film coming apart at the splices. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Doug Fields
Union Manager/Operator/Projectionist
Madison Cinema 4
Madison, New Jersey

|  IP: Logged

Tom Kroening
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2000 12:25 AM      Profile for Tom Kroening   Email Tom Kroening   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember reading somewhere (I think it was in a how to manual) that when your film is too oily to splice just take dab some rubbing alcohol on both sides of the last frame on each end of the splice to take the oil off.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-07-2000 01:26 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
That's not necessary with FilmGuard. Provided you are using decent splicing tape, you can tape directly on the film with excellent adhesive results. If your tape is perhaps not quite so wonderful, you can wipe the two frames to be spliced together dry with a cloth or even a napkin from the concession stand.

By "wet", it's not really "wet".

Doug Fields
Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2000 01:43 AM      Profile for Doug Fields   Email Doug Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks!!

You see everything that I think of doing that pertains to presentation, especially when I am trying to make it better, has to be described in intricate detail. Then, my DM, VP of Operations, and Head of Projection and Sound decide whether I can do it or not.
Yep just a tad bit frustrating!!

------------------
Doug Fields
Madison Cinema 4
Madison, New Jersey

Kevin Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2000 02:16 AM      Profile for Kevin Crawford   Email Kevin Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug,

Are you with GCC? If so, how did you get film guard. ASC won't supply it because it is not covered in the contract. I had to get the manager to approve buying it.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-07-2000 02:21 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
It's just not part of ASC's General Cinema booth supplies pre-paid package arrangement that was set up long before FilmGuard was released publicly, that's all. An approved requisition to ASC will get it for you.

Doug Fields
Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2000 03:06 AM      Profile for Doug Fields   Email Doug Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess now is as good a time as any to tell the horror stories of my booth.

My baby is the Madison Cinema 4, in Madison, New Jersey. I have been in this building since 1991, and with Clearview Cinemas since 1988. Starting as an Assistant Manager / Operator at their Closter theater. Madison is a beautiful old building built in 1925 by the Lyons family, are you ready for this, they built the town in a circle centering on the Theater, The Train station (literally right across the street) and Main Street. The building stands alone, right in the middle of the street, I say it is still "ROOSTERing" to the other building on the street. Well, all this was 75 years ago, and as an original Vaudeville Theater, it has gone through many changes. Not all bad, but not all good, either. As an original 1300 seat building in an affluent neighborhood, even in 1925. Things were done in a grand scale. You should see the old pillared entryway to the main stage, or the domed and star decorated roof that has been covered up in the name of modernization. :sad: Well, to get to my point. When we took over in 1991 it was a triple. One main screen downstairs with a HUGE screen that sat 272, and two side, stadium style seating theaters sitting 198 and 202. In 1994 they split the main house into 2 smaller theaters, 125 and 140 seats respectively... and it was done quick, and you can tell. Things in the theaters went from bad to worse when they replaced the smaller almost bearable seats with bigger ones with the cupholder armrests... can you say complaint city? But upstairs took the biggest hit. The main problem is the heat up to 160 at times... yep 160. After a couple of weeks I could knit a sweater from the lint I collect out of my 4 projectors. The worst part is... the HVAC has been redone 3 times. Every time it has been recommended to cool the booths. The ductwork is there, they just won't budget it. One of the old ducts is 4 feet from the booths. It kills the equipment... bulbs the worst.. I average 1500 hours a pop on 1600 watt Xenons. Aperture plates weren't cut correctly, and the lenses have never been focused in all theaters. I try my best but I can never get a completely clear pic. It seems to be OK with the customers, but I know, you know. If you need a electrical tape port glass aperture fabricator I must be close to the best available... The film however has been a problem for a while now... with the heat and the dust and such they get flaked up pretty good. I have tried everything. I am now trying my best to get Film-Guard. I am hoping to be approved through the channels for a Kelmar Media Web Cleaner. Wish me luck. In this day and age with things the way they are, presentation is PARAMOUNT... no, not the studio, and I just want to give my customers their moneys worth. I love the building, with her character, beauty, and history. I just wantit to be a place where people love to come week in and week out, and KNOW they will get a good show. And oh, by the way, THANK YOU MR. MILLER... I have learned more in the past 5 months from this sight and downloading the manuals that you have made available, than I did in the previous 12 years combined. I have actually been given an honorary position in the Tech firm that services us because of my new found knowledge. They love it when you can speak their language. Thanks again. And hopefully and order for some Film-Guard products will soo be on it's way.

Gotta get that CD!!!!

------------------
Doug Fields
Madison Cinema 4
Madison, New Jersey

Greg Pauley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2000 08:13 AM      Profile for Greg Pauley   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Pauley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug:
My company also runs a 4 plex 2000 seat theatre built in 1927 at the cost of 2 million dollars. We still do about 12 to 15 live shows a year thru the local university (Marshall.) I hope to have a digital tour setup of the theatre sometime soon on our web page www.ourshowtimes.com. I would love to see pictures of your theatre. One question, what size screen does the theatre have? Sound like a small wattage bulb for such a large theatre.

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2000 01:58 PM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to second Brad's statement...I find Neutape adheres fine after Film Guard, especially if I wipe the film ends well (I find Webril wipes great for this). Also, Doug's Madison Clearview is the closest theater to where I live, and in spite of the nosebleed former balconies converted into theaters, he does a nice job. I'll ask for you sometime when I'm over there...how 'bout a tour of your 160 degree booth!

------------------
Jeff

Doug Fields
Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2000 03:42 PM      Profile for Doug Fields   Email Doug Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeff,
Sure, no problem. Just remember to bring your asbestos underwear and an I.V. of Gatorade.

P.S. Where in West Pat? I used to live on Meriline Avenue.

------------------
Doug Fields
Madison Cinema 4
Madison, New Jersey

Nic Margherio
Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2000 11:01 PM      Profile for Nic Margherio   Email Nic Margherio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One trick I have used to get better adhesion with splicing tape on FilmGuarded film is to draw one length of tape over the "seam," pull it off, and then make the splice with a second length. You will find that most of the FilmGuard comes off with the first piece of tape and the second piece adheres much better.

Of course you go through twice as much splicing tape this way...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: