Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Simplex bearing numbers - Model PR1060

Author Topic: Simplex bearing numbers - Model PR1060
Michael Pace
Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2000 10:52 PM      Profile for Michael Pace   Email Michael Pace   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to know the actual bearing numbers for the relevant bearings used in the Simplex Projectors and Soundheads. The part numbers in the parts cataloque only list the part number and not the actual bearing number. Most of the bearings would actually be available off the shelf at most bearing supply companies if one knew the bearing number. We would lose shows if we dismantled over-night and had to purchase the bearings after opening time of the bearing supply company, there would not be enough time to reassemble before the first scheduled show time. Having to purchase the bearings from the manufacturer would add three to four times the shelf price of a local company.

HORIZONTAL MAIN DRIVE ASSEMBLY
P-1409 - ball bearing - 6201/03
P-6639 - ball bearing -

VERTICAL SHAFT ASSEMBLY
P-1409 - ball bearing - 6201/03
P-1412 - ball bearing -

SHUTTER AND FRAMING ASSEMBLY
P-1481 - shaft ball bearing - rear -
P-1482 - shaft ball bearing - front -
P-1483 - spline ball bearing -

5 STAR SOUNDHEAD
SCANNING DRUM SHAFT ASSEMBLY
P-2199 - ball bearing -

SPROCKET SHAFT ASSEMBLY
P-7014 - ball bearing -

If anybody can fill in the blanks it would be greatly appreciated.

Michael.

|  IP: Logged

Stan Gunn
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2000 10:42 AM      Profile for Stan Gunn   Author's Homepage   Email Stan Gunn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael.
I had alook in my libary and can only come up with the same numbers, the 6201s are bearing nos. It may be worth phoneing GUET last i heard they still had parts in stock in Melbourne phone 03 9561 0752 fax 03 9561 0752
and ask for Bob Lucas or Rod Hailey.

------------------
PROJECTIONISTS LOVE THIER CRAFT.
KANDY BAR KIDS JUST GET PAID.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-09-2000 01:40 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While their are cross references for many of the bearings, generally Strong does not really over charge for their bearings (certainly not 3 to 4 times street price).

I know of no published list of Simplex bearing cross references. Furthermore, just having the actual sizes doesn't dictate the duty of the bearing. Also cheaper bearings may also be cheaper quality. There are some that are the same sizes (like R-4 or R-7) but differ in their packing, shielding and friction. A Christie payout bearing and a Century BG-259 and a Simplex P-3368 are all the same size but put the Century or Simplex bearing in the Christie centerfeed and the feed fingers won't move on their own. Likewise, use the Christie bearing and in the Century/Simplex application and it will wear out prematurely.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-09-2000 04:50 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another example is the century BG9 if you order that partnumber that is on the bearing from a bearing shop it won't fit
The bore size was changed on that bearing in the 60's with the demise of New Departure and the advent of International standards
That bearing is now a special order item

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-09-2000 08:54 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,
I think what they mean is that the actual Strong parts ordered through a dealer in Austrailia(or the US) could end up costing 3 to 4 times the price than if the same bearings were bought directly off the shelf from an Austrailian bearing supplier. With the normal dealer mark up, exchange rate, duty and shipping taken into account this could easily be the case.
Mark

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 09-09-2000 10:19 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I would also be interested in knowing alternate sources for those two bearings used on the impedence drum (5-star soundhead.) They rust like crazy.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-09-2000 11:16 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a few 5-Stars in my territory that sound like old washing machines! Getting a cheap, reliable source of those bearings would be very helpful.

John T. Mellor
Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2000 08:18 PM      Profile for John T. Mellor   Email John T. Mellor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am currently putting together a cross reference list one of the 5 Star bearing P-2199 [51 - 04001] 6202 ZZJEM [ZZ indicates shields on each side you can remove them as needed] I will send the list as soon as I finish actualy just started it last week

regards to all
John

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: