Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Theaters in the 50's (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Theaters in the 50's
Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2000 05:26 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering if anyone here was in the theater biz in the 50's. I'm remembering how they used to have ushers with flashlights that found you a seat about where you wanted and I was wondering how the theater had enough profit then to pay for ushers and not now. Admission then was maybe $1.25. Did the studios take less of the gate then? How did those big houses do it?
I also remember when people applauded for the film!
(Actually I meant applauded the film when it started and ended)

------------------
Greg Mueller
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut

|  IP: Logged

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2000 06:21 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am going to paraphrase this statistic.

In the 1950s the average number of films attended by the populous of the United States each year was 26 films per year.

(This means that every man, woman and child in the United States went to the cinema once every two weeks.)

In the 1980s, the average number of films attended be the populous of the United States each year was 4 films per year.

(This means that every man, woman and child in the United States went to the cinema once every three months.)

In the 20 years since I heard this statistic, I am sure that it has gone down. I'll bet that the average attendance in the cinema is down to 2 films per year. There is a certain portion of the population that goes to the cinema a lot and there is a large portion of the population that has given up on the cinema entirely.

Movies and the studios are still doing well because there are more outlets for their work. There are cinemas and Pay per View (TV), and Cable (TV) and Videotape (TV) and DVD (TV).

Cinemas used to be an integral part of our society. They were in our neighborhoods. They presented newsreels. You could send your kids to the matinee without supervision or transportation.

Cinemas are now an ancillary part of society. They are in the outskirts of town. You must drive to them. They are no longer a part of our community. So sad. Are we the next bowling alleys of America?

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2000 07:51 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't say that Ian!! That just cut
"Wagner's 66 and 1/2 Lanes" down to like 25 and plan on building a strip mall .

Sometimes I wonder why I even try to keep my theatre clean with a good presentation. Once you drive the customer away they won't come back.

Richard C. Wolfe
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2000 08:57 PM      Profile for Richard C. Wolfe   Author's Homepage   Email Richard C. Wolfe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In addition to Ians post about attendence figures, you must always take into consideration that a large share of the films shown were rented for a flat fee. The larger first runs may have payed percentage, but most nabs and small town theatres paid flat. And remember there were a lot more of those then there were big town first runs.

Those theatres often changed films three times a week and paid $50 to $100 for the show. Even large city studio owned theatres usually paid a flat fee although it may have been several thousands of dollars per week. As an example, way back in 1930 the Fox Theatre in San Francisco was charged $4,000 per week by the Fox studios for each weeks feature attraction.

Anyway the point here is this, once you met your house expense and the film rental... EVERYTHING from there on was profit.
It therefore benefited the exhibitor to use some good old fashioned showmanship to sell his picture. The ballyhoo that was often a part of selling the show paid big dividens as all the extra income stayed with the theatre owner.

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2000 12:08 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Cinemas are now an ancillary part of society. They are in the outskirts of town. You must drive to them. They are no longer a part of our community.

I also feel that contemporary theater design is sinking the exhibition industry.

I remember getting a weird moment of confusion last time driving to the multiplex that I was going to Home Depot.

They're very similar. The theater atriums are just the same, cheap big warehouse design, with just a couple of splats of chrome & neon here & there. We're not fooling anyone here. It reeks of cheap.

And with the increased number of auditoria, there's a reduced number of fellow-audience at any particular show. The reduced, restrained reactions really reduce the social reason for going out to a movie. Comedies in particular just die in rooms with only 12 people.

They've shut the local dollar movie house, which was the only place I'd go to see comedies & action movies - because of the audiences. It had a flat floor, fewer screens, & big, enjoyable audiences. I really wonder if the reason the big chains first shut their dollar houses was in hopes that these folks would just go to the full-price theaters.

Going to first-run movies *is* just like having to go to Home Depot or Wal-Mart now, things I associate with things only done when you *have* to do them.

1. Get in the car
2. Drive halfway to East Anus
3. Walk through the warehouse
4. Climb up the grandstand, sit through
the grating ads (obviously, they care
more about added revenue than customer
satisfaction), watch the scratchy movie
with the surrounds on one side popping in
& out, usually in a room that feels
mostly empty
5. Walk back out through the warehouse
6. Discuss the feeling of not having had
much fun, do you want to go do something
else at least while we're out?
7. Go drive from the theater in the
outskirts of Bohunksville to someplace
where something is happening.

------------------
William Hooper
Junk drawer: http://www.geocities.com/hollywood/theater/3622
Theatre Empire: http://members.xoom.com/saenger.1

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-28-2000 02:00 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
William,

You forgot "complain at least 3 times during the movie about focus, sound or some other defect in the presentation".

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2000 09:42 AM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My dad was an usher at the locat movie house when he was in high school in the early 40's. My earliest recollection was going to the local single screen movie house with my parents in the early 50's. I distinctly remember the ticket prices: $.75 Adults,
$.50 Juniors, $.25 Children

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2000 09:48 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could someone figure out what those prices are in 2000 dollars, just for comparison sake?

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2000 10:04 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was a kid I got into the Capitol Theater here in Olympia for 35 cents in the mid 60's

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2000 11:32 AM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The exhibitors themselves have changed since the 50's. Back then they took a certain pride in what they did, however, in MOST cases, that pride has all but disappeared.

Personally I dont' think that Pay Per View, DVD, Home theatres etc, are what's killing the theatres, They're killing themselves. Who wants to deal with hassels of going to the movies lines, scratched movies, out of frame, poor focues, too soft or too loud volume, etc. when they can watch them at home. I have to admit, since I don't work in the industry any more, I don't go to movies nearly as much.. I don't want to deal with those hassels. I could deal with the lines, if I knew the presentation would be decent, but a decent presentation is nearly extinct anymore these days.

Sure the TV at home as a MUCH smaller screen, but hey, its in focus, in frame, and *I* conrtol the sound.

Mitchell Cope
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2000 11:52 AM      Profile for Mitchell Cope   Email Mitchell Cope   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was a point of time in the 80s, when video rentals just started, that I would rather watch a movie on my small screen TV than put up with people talking around me in a movie theatre. For some reason that's not so bad anymore. Rarely happens. Occassionally, however, people like to take calls and carry on conversations with their cell phone. Now that's a distraction.

Stefan Scholz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2000 12:40 PM      Profile for Stefan Scholz   Author's Homepage   Email Stefan Scholz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dustin asked: Could someone figure out what those prices are in 2000 dollars, just for comparison sake?

Mid 50's - multiply with 20, which gives a good average in payment rises... but due to increased taxes it will be a little lower.
So 75 c wasn't really a "low end" price.

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2000 05:23 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You forgot "complain at least 3 times during the movie about focus, sound or some other defect in the presentation".

I'm afraid that I've joined the masses in just sitting there unless it's something really bad like an out-of-frame splice. We here are annoyed by poor presentation, but going out to the movies is still a social experience: Folks I go to movies with will notice & mutter about problems but will get distressed if I get up to have someone fix it & will seem to have the whole movie ruined from stewing through some sort of perceived social gaffe. So I've sat through many, many a fuzzy movie to keep others happy.

The last (but best) "get up & do something" was earlier this year at a new multiplex (it opened when that last Star Wars came out). Some of us went to see something, were pleasantly surprised to find no movie tunes or slides, & had a pleasant pre-movie social chatting experience in a comfortable theater. About 15 minutes after show time when no movie appeared & the lights didn't go down, I said I'd get up & try to find somebody.

Out to the concession stand, & tell the concession person that the movie in #x hasn't started. A long look of confusion, & then she cleared up & said: "It's SUPPOSED to be on!" Smiles, & she goes to fiddle with the soda machine. Okay, she's solved her problem.

I poke around & down one of the corridors find the likely door. Upstairs, to the nice corridors of new projectors & racks, & there's a guy down at one end threading a projector (seems like he was wearing something like a pharmacist's smock, but maybe it was just some uniform-y thing like a polo shirt & black trousers). I tell him "Hello! (Whatever movie) in number x hasn't started."

He's a friendly, easy-going guy, we walk down to the projector for that auditorium (first time I've seen these new Christie packages you guys are always talking about, I mostly bump into old Century's & Simplexes). He pokes & prods & scratches his head. So we fool around with the thing for a while, & I figure out how to start a movie in his theater. It cranks up, we're both happy, we share a laugh about how we were glad down there at first to not have Movie Tunes.

Go back down & join the peeps, sit down, start watching, & about 3 minutes later start getting this involuntary head shaking thing on. Sheesh!

------------------
William Hooper
Junk drawer: http://www.geocities.com/hollywood/theater/3622
Theatre Empire: http://members.xoom.com/saenger.1

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2001 06:03 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In honor of The Majestic and The Man Who Wasn't There, let's bump this back up top.

I'm too young to answer this personally since I was born in the late 50's. Maybe some more recent Film-Techers can share their recollections of 50's theaters.

Paul Cassidy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2001 11:56 PM      Profile for Paul Cassidy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Cassidy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my time from the early sixties , we had ushers that would show you to your seat and Icecream boys that came into the theatres at Intermission and stand at the front and sell them (The Ice-Creams) and the admission price was about 10cents or 1 shilling, to go to the Cinerama was about 25cents ,all 70mm cost more, attendance was high as there was no TV and this was the only place to see the News Reels and sporting Events , catch up the Serials "Batman" etc.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: