Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Smart Mod IIC Question (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Smart Mod IIC Question
Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-04-2000 06:46 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How do you get the Smart Mod IIC cinema sound processor to default to Mono instead of SR? For some reason the SR-and stereo A for that matter-likes to not work sometimes-as in dead silence-so you have to run all the way down to the other end of the booth, flip the sound breakers for that projector off then on, run back and switch the processor from music back to SR, which will be working now. This is getting to the point where its happening every single day and is to say the least-annoying. Now, I'm fairly certain I cannot fix this-I have no electronics tools whatsoever, and no service techs. I do know though that there are some toggle switches for setting the default non-digital sound format.

So, making a long story short, where are these switches and how do I set them?
*looks at Oscar*

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-05-2000 02:57 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
By defaulting do you mean when a cue ends the show, or when the DTS drops out, or at the end of a show with a DTS player installed, or for a dropout with SRD, or what?

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2000 07:55 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I mean is, no film running, it should be in 'music,' when the DTS reader dtetects timecode, and the processor finds the sound on the discs, it should switch into 'digital.' If film is running but there is no digital sound, I want it to 'default' to mono.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-05-2000 11:30 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah. This should be an easy fix. First, what model DTS player are you using? What board are you using for your automation connector?

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2000 01:11 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its a DTS-6D. Board for automation connector? Huh? You are speaking to an electronicaly challenged person.

Oscar Neundorfer
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2000 03:53 PM      Profile for Oscar Neundorfer   Author's Homepage   Email Oscar Neundorfer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dustin,

Sorry to take so long to respond. I have been so busy the last couple of days that I have not checked the Film Tech forum.

It sounds like you have a problem with SR so you want the default to be mono if digital dies. That way you will have sound if digital dies because SR is not always working. Is this correct?

If so, then I sugggest we get the SR problem fixed so you don't have to worry about it. The problem is (most likely) either the matrix card or the format card.

Why don't you call Elizabeth at Carmike Technical Department in Columbus, GA and have her order replacement matrix and format cards. Tell her I told you to order these cards. Don't worry, I will take care of this under warranty, even if the MOD IIC is out of warranty. These can be easily installed by you.

Let's start there and try the easy stuff first. It is possible to modify the format card to default to mono if digital fails, but I do not recommend it. Your customers deserve better.

Best regards,

------------------
Oscar Neundorfer
Chief Engineer
SMART Devices, Inc.

oscar@smartdev.com

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-05-2000 04:39 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
befor you swap card a simple question
if you don't put any disks in the dts will the unit play in stereo a or stereo sr
If so the problem is not the processor but a problem that dts has with many other processors being the pulse length
try this first before changing cards
I have had very few smart cards fail

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2000 10:30 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oscar: Don't sweat it, that fact that you take the time to respond is impressive enough.

Gordon: Its not a digital problem, Oscar has it nailed on the head.

As far as my customers deserving better, I agree, its just I was under the impression it was a rather easy switch, and since everything we put in this auditorium is in DTS, the problem only affects the commercials and the very rare non-digital trailer. But I'll take your word for it and give the home office a call tomorrow (if I remember ).

BTW, I have installed new hardware cards in my PC, I imagine thats not much different than swapping out some cards in SMART.

Thanks agains Oscar, I'll make that phonecall and post when I get the new cards.

Oscar Neundorfer
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2000 06:15 AM      Profile for Oscar Neundorfer   Author's Homepage   Email Oscar Neundorfer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dustin,

There is a jumper on the format card that can be moved to select the format that occurs if digital dies. The jumper allows you to select type A or SR. There is no mono selection. In both A and SR cases, the matrix is still being used. So selecting A instead of SR will not help if the matrix card has a problem. In order to select MONO, the format card would have to be modified by adding a wire to the card. It is not something I recommend.

I am curious about one thing. When there is no sound in SR, can you get sound back by pressing the SR format button? (Without first turning the power off and back on.)Also is the SR pushbutton lighted when you press it during the no sound condition?

------------------
Oscar Neundorfer
Chief Engineer
SMART Devices, Inc.

oscar@smartdev.com

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2000 08:35 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, a jumper. I remember trying to make a strobe light in High School-it wasn't pretty. No, that would not be easy for me .

To answer your question, yes, the SR button is lighted during the sound failure. I will try pushing it again today like you said to see if that works. And I think it is the Matrix card from what you say, because the Stereo A doesn't work either during these failures.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2000 12:58 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pushing the SR button again does not work.

Oscar Neundorfer
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2000 01:52 PM      Profile for Oscar Neundorfer   Author's Homepage   Email Oscar Neundorfer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dustin,

It looks very much like the matrix card is at fault. Go ahead and get one ordered if you haven't already done so. Let me know when you get it. You can call me at 800-457-6278.

Thanks,

Oscar

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2000 06:49 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I ordered the Matrix card and the Format card today (didn't see your message in time). Oh well. They should be in on Wednesday.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2000 02:24 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
New matrix card in, was easier than I thought actually. Now lets hope this works *crosses fingers*.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2000 11:22 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
:Annoyed:
The SR failed again on Sunday, 10 days after I put the new Matrix card in.
GRRRRRRR
I'll try sticking hte format card in tommorrow.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: