Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » OK YOU HISTORIANS!!! ANSWER THIS!!!

Author Topic: OK YOU HISTORIANS!!! ANSWER THIS!!!
John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2000 09:26 PM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone out there in cinema-cyberspace
have any information of a company called
"National Theatres Syndicate' Circa 1925
that operated out of San Francisco, CA?
They operated theatres, both film & vaudville
under the 'National' banner in northern California. I want to know any history of this operation and whether or not this company was the predicessor to United California Theatres (Naify circuit) or the T&D circuit (Later UATC) Thanks! John

|  IP: Logged

Richard C. Wolfe
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2000 11:35 PM      Profile for Richard C. Wolfe   Author's Homepage   Email Richard C. Wolfe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
National Theatres?

I'm a little fuzzy on this one, so maybe someone else can add a few more pieces to the puzzle.

In 1926 and 1927 the West Coast Theatres chain was aquired by William Fox, the founder of Fox studios, and that company became Fox-West Coast Theatres. Fox's first large movie palace was the 6,000 seat Roxy in New York. He then set out to build many more huge theatres across America including the large and lavis Fox in San Francisco. After Fox's financial demise from the stock market crash, and after he was indicted for obstruction of justice for trying to bribe a federal judge he was sentenced to one year and one day in federal prison. He served six months.

I believe that the company that was organized to assume control of the former Fox empire was National Theatres headed by prominent showman Charles P. Skouras originally from St. Louis.

Eventually, the company was reorganized as National General Corporation which ran numberous divisions across the country such as Fox West Coast Theatres, National Theatres, Fox Evergreen Theatres, Fox Philadelphia Inc. and so on. There were numberous others.

In 1934 there was a National Theatres SYN. of Cali. with offices located at 25 Taylor Street in San Francisco. This company operated six theatres at that time in smaller cities and towns in california. Whether this company had anything to do with the National theatres that took control of the Fox empire, I do not know.

I believe that National General Corporation is today Mann Theatres of California. However, I'm not positive about that, and would appreciate seeing a posting from anyone that can confirm or disclaim that fact.

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2000 10:04 PM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suspect the National Theatre Syndicate is not affiliated with National Theatres Corporation. As stated previously, National Theatres Corporation was a subsidiary of 20th Century Fox. The subsidiaries of National Theatres Corporation included Fox West Coast Theatres Corporation, Evergreen State Amusement Corporation, Fox Intermountain Theatres, Fox Michigan Corporation, Fox Midwest Amusement Corporation, Fox Philadelphia Building Inc., and Fox Wisconsin Amusement Corporation. Following the consent decree, the 549 theatres owned by National Theatres Corporation in 1951 were transferred to the ownership of the newly formed National Theatres Inc.

I looked through the Theatre Circuits section of the "1938-1939 International Motion Picture Almanac". The National Theatre Syndicate is listed at 25 Taylor Street, San Francisco, Cal. The following theatre circuits are also listed at 25 Taylor Street, San Francisco, Cal.: Blumenfeld Theatre Circuit, Joe Blumenfeld; Goldberg, Aaron, Theatres; Golden State Theatre & Realty Corp., R. A. McNeil; Midland Theatres, Geo. M. Mann; Nasser Bros. Theatres, William Nasser; San Francisco Theatres, Inc.; T. and D., Jr., Enterprises; and United California Theatres, Inc., R. A. McNeil. I also noticed the California Theatres Association, Inc., and the costume company Dance Art Shoe Co. at the same address.

The next almanac I have is the 1943-1944 edition. The National Theatre Syndicate and United California Theatres are not listed in the Theatre Circuits section. Blumenfeld, Goldberg, and Nasser are listed at the same address. Golden State Theatre & Realty Corp. moved to 995 Market Street and also operated San Francisco Theatres, Inc., and T & D, Jr., Enterprises. E. H. Emmick is president, R. A. McNeil is 1st vice president, and M. A. Naify is 2nd vice president of Golden State Theatre & Realty Corp. Midland Theatres is not listed but George M. Mann is listed as president of Redwood Theatres, Inc. Redwood also operated Midland Theatres Corp.; Noyo Theatres, Inc.; Trinity Theatres, Inc.; Vacaville Theatre Co., Inc.; Northwestern Theatres Co.; Plaza Theatre Co.; Modesto State Theatre, Inc.; Associated Theatrical Enterprises, Inc.; Marysville Theatre Co.; and Woodland Theatres Co.

In 1973 National General Corporation sold its remaining 266 theatres to Mann Theatres Corporation.

Have you contacted the Theatre Historical Society of America? http://www2.hawaii.edu/~angell/thsa/

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-10-2000 02:59 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, is the theatre-owner "National General Corporation" related at all to the film-distributor "National General Corporation"?

I assume that neither is at all related to "General Cinema Corporation," correct?

Richard C. Wolfe
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2000 08:04 PM      Profile for Richard C. Wolfe   Author's Homepage   Email Richard C. Wolfe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do believe that both the exhibitors and distributors using the name National General Corporation were related, but I'm not 100% sure.

Neither had anything to do with General Cinema Corp.

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2000 12:20 PM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.homevideo.net/FIRM/antitrst.htm

1969 National General Theatre: The National General theatre circuit (formerly National Theatres which
had been divorced from Fox as part of the Paramount consent decree)

sought to extend the District Court's permission to engage in film production and distribution. The Court
reaffirmed the general principle of distributor-exhibitor divorcement but allowed National General to
continue producing and distributing its movies subject to two new prohibitions: (1) National General could
not show a preference for exhibiting its movies in its own theatres and (2) it had to keep records
explaining why its films were played in its own theatres instead of a competing theatre and why its
pictures played there instead of a feature of a competing distributor.

1969 National General Modification: National General sought another modification of its previous court
order, this time, permitting it to purchase a portion of the corporate shares of First Artists Production
Company and to obtain the worldwide distribution rights to nine films to be delivered by First Artists. The
Court granted National General's motion.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: