Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » How to make mistakes ON PURPOSE? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: How to make mistakes ON PURPOSE?
Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 10-12-2000 05:29 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This week I'm going to try a new method of training people. They've all got a little experience and I want to try something different...

I plan to thread up a bunch of projectors and make a mistake here and there. (On purpose.) Then the trainees get to go around and find the mistakes.

(Simplex PR-1050 / TU-2000 turret -- Speco Platter -- CFS lamphouse/automation -- FM-35)

Okay, there are a few difinitive mistakes like:

* Misthread the brain
* Film jumping 1/2 way off a roller
* Not closing the sound head pressure roller
* Making the loops so big they hit the inside of the proj. chassis.
* Thread out of frame.

Anybody have any other suggestions?

|  IP: Logged

Tom Kroening
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2000 06:11 PM      Profile for Tom Kroening   Email Tom Kroening   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Soundtrack backwards is always a good one. I even miss that one now and then when i check over a newbie's work since its so hard to do wrong. Pop the breaker for the bulb (get some troubleshooting action going). Leave one arm on the failsafe down. Just make sure you are right there before they start all these!

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 10-12-2000 06:38 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I plan to use old film for the 'test'.

The idea of actually starting a projector and causing problems is pretty cool, too! I'll have to give it some thought.

Tom Kroening
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2000 06:52 PM      Profile for Tom Kroening   Email Tom Kroening   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well just walk around with them. "I'll follow you around, just make sure you check all the projectors before you start them". Just make sure they don't start it without your ok.

Paul Cunningham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2000 07:52 PM      Profile for Paul Cunningham   Email Paul Cunningham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wrong aperture plate in.
Dont select or select wrong on payout/take up for the platter.

Ethan Harper
E-dawggg!!!

- posted 10-12-2000 08:16 PM      Profile for Ethan Harper   Email Ethan Harper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Defeat all of the automation and see if they are able to do a manual start correctly. Oh yeah and hit the spare cue switch on. See if they can figure it out.

------------------
--"That's my story and i'm sticking to it!"--

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 10-13-2000 01:37 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like to...

- On platters with more than one print on them, place the payout in the middle of the print that isn't the one you want threaded next and get them to thread up the next show. See if they actually check the schedule or if they just thread the one with the payout inside of it.

- In a changeover setup, swap around the position of the reels...say 3 and 4 in the rack. See if they actually check which reel they are threading up.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-13-2000 01:46 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leave the lamphouse dowser closed.

Russ Kress
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2000 02:02 AM      Profile for Russ Kress   Author's Homepage   Email Russ Kress   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A harmless loop of test film hanging over the lamphouse air intake usually restricts air flow just enough to trip the air flow switch!

*gets 'em every time!*

I once met a guy who would beat on the port glass and demand a refund during the exercise just to make it more realistic (LOL).

Russ

Steven Gorsky
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2000 02:52 AM      Profile for Steven Gorsky   Author's Homepage   Email Steven Gorsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Still being fairly new to projection, I can offer some suggestions.

Set the lamp house to manual strike instead of auto.

Skip the top roller on the DTS reader (analog will work fine, but DTS won't).

Skip the bottom roller on the SDDS reader (same effect as above).

Disengage the motor from payout platter (Neumade/others?).

Set lights to panic (Neumade/others? lighting control) or have work lights turned on.

I'll probably come with other problems ("situations") I've had or others I've worked with had.

Steven Gorsky

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-13-2000 04:40 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Geez, you're cruel!

Skip one of the top takeup rollers and run the film over the roller's shaft instead.

Blow a platter fuse and have it handy to insert whenever you want it to fail.

Move the SPECO magnet out of alignment.

Punch BOTH decks to "takeup". See how long it takes them to realize a forward wrap is slowly happening.

Knock a magazine roller out of alignment and see if they notice.

Untuck the tail.

Turn a breaker off.

Slightly crack open a lamphouse door to trip the safety interlock.

Set the automation to interlock! (To start two projectors at once by mistake or have it not fire at all.)

Turn the sound processor to "remote fader".

Insert a blown exciter lamp. For added fun, put the wrong DTS discs in the player as well.

Loosen the scope lens and rotate it slightly in the turret.

Lower the gate tension until the film jumps.

Turn off the center channel amplifier.

Insert a bad diode.

Dolby SRD penthouse reader...turn it off.

That should keep 'em busy for awhile. If you want to get REALLY mean...

Detach the cable that would normally pull the electric douser out of the way

Disassemble the prime and anamorphic and place a carefully cut piece of black construction paper inbetween them, then reassemble and install.

Drain all of the oil from the projector and see if they check it.

Wait, I'm getting too evil here.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 10-13-2000 05:27 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's such a thing as too evil???

As Daffy Duck says...
"Awfully unsthporting of me...I know but hey, I've got to have some fun".

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-13-2000 06:36 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad is evil.

I recommend "fun with fuses": remove random fuses from amps, processor, exciter supply, house light panel, etc.
In a reel-to-reel booth: remove the takeup belt or disable the clangy "reel end" bells. "Forget" to plug in the sound changeover relay box.
With "gearless" projectors: remove a belt at random.
Swap cards in the sound processor--for example, put in a "bad" preamp card (or just a good one with the input levels set to minimum).
"Accidentally" set up the booth monitor to only play the "subwoofer" channel.
Remove the shutter or at least time it excatly out of phase.
Disable a random automation timer--see if the trainee checks to make sure that the show has started at the scheduled time.
With a Kelmar rewind bench: disassemble the box with the speed-control knob and loosen one of the contacts just enough to make the speed erratic.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 10-13-2000 07:27 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, it would appear Brad is not the only evil one...

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2000 12:34 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even more evil:

Fill the lamphouse with gunpowder or TNT.

Put superglue in the Filmguard bottle.

Permute the lenses among all the projectors in such a manner that no projector has the correct lenses (assuming all your auditoriums and screens aren't exactly the same size).

I'm just kidding, folks.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: