Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Cinema Film Systems Closed Down

Author Topic: Cinema Film Systems Closed Down
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-13-2000 07:14 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I received some news form a friend at Showeast today and he said that Cinema Film Systems was taken over by its major lending institution on Tuesday and shut down. Apparently Krix Loudspeakers, which were distributed by CFS did some negotiating and took over the empty CFS booths at the last minuite.
Mark

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-13-2000 05:30 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

Any word on what happened to T.C. Costin? He was with them for a lot of years. They were at the Rocky Mountain conveniton last month and had their usual big display. No hint of any problems.

Mike

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-13-2000 05:58 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He mentioned to a friend that he has several options to do. One of which is as a manufacturers rep.
Mark

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 10-13-2000 09:51 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, they finally made a product I liked (the ESP-3 platter) and then they go bankrupt. Go figure.

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2000 12:17 AM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Crap - what is this going to do for parts availability? This would explain why we got a company-wide email looking for a cold mirror for a theater because the part was unavailable from the distributor for some reason.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-15-2000 09:55 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard the same rumors at ShowEast...TC was definately unemployed there.

As to the CFS reflector...since the CFS console was an ORC knock-off, how about using an ORC type reflector (now made by Strong)...anyone know about the parts interchangability between the ORC/Strong and the CFS equipment?

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Bill Purdy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2000 12:04 PM      Profile for Bill Purdy   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Purdy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I spoke with T.C. directly and learned that he was let go Friday, 10/6. He was trolling for a future on the ShowEast floor. Apparently there is little left in Upland beyond a skeleton staff for essential services. Their booth space at ShowEast was occupied by a large table which occasionally provided sort of free lunch as supplied by various suppliers to our industry who are in better financial condition. There is some rumbling that Dick Niccum is trying to put something together of a similar sort, and wants T.C. to join him enough to have sent him new business cards.

------------------
Bill Purdy
Component Engineering

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2000 10:35 PM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It appears that someting is amuck at CFS, I got a call from the accounts receivable dept. today for an invoice for $238.55 that is 10 days old! The credit manager would not explain why he is collecting a 10 day old
invoice, but he was treating it like it was 6 months old! Kathy sent the check out today, I
hope this pulls

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-18-2000 10:54 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LP associates have the same reflector

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 10-24-2000 07:37 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, now that it's official, what do we do to get parts?

I know that a lot of things in the CFS lamphouse can be had from other places...
Most of the switches and stuff can be had at electronics supply places. Diodes can be bought from Mouser Electronics. Fans and blowers can be found at places like Grainger.
I know that a lot of the rectifier parts are just re-labeled from Strong, etc.

It seems the prudent person would be thinking ahead and lining up suppliers for this stuff.

What does everybody think about compiling a cross-reference list?

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 10-24-2000 08:13 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking the same thing, only for all manufacturers, not just the ones that go out of business.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: