Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » High-Magenta & Cyan Soundtracks (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: High-Magenta & Cyan Soundtracks
Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 10-17-2000 04:06 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can anyone shed any light on the timescale involved in the conversion? I remember reading somewhere last autumn that the conversion to high magenta tracks was going to be complete by mid-2000 (in the UK) and that cyan tracks would be phased in during early 2001.

The situation at present seems to be that labs are still printing silver tracks. The only high magenta tracks I've had so far have been from the Paris lab LTC, which seems to have gone over entirely (I haven't had an LTC print with a silver track since April). I've never, so far, received a print with a cyan track.

Does anyone know the conversion is taking longer than expected? Is the US further ahead than we are? And if the whole process has been delayed, is the reason the one I have long suspected, namely that cinemas are simply refusing to invest in LED readers and so the distributors, despite having issued 'convert or else' warnings for the last year or two, are not willing to risk the chaos that would result in phasing out silver prints against the exhibitors' will?

I know that a large number of British cinemas have not, so far, converted to LEDs. When I sent a print of 'Kadosh' on to an arts centre in Scotland, I got a 'phone call the next day asking if I'd had any problems with the soundtrack on it. As we've got reverse-scan LEDs, I hadn't, but the projectionist who got the print after me was trying to run it on a GK-37 with an incandescent exciter and a Gaumont-Kalee mono valve amplifier. Needless to say, she wasn't hearing very much!

|  IP: Logged

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2000 04:15 PM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi! As far as I know, here in the US, the
Cyan tracks will be initiated for the December 2000 releases. In fact I now stock Cyan 1000hz 50% test film,(made by Ultra Stereo Labs) and I have been testing systems that I service to see just how various readers behave with this track.
So far, a conventional incandescent type soundhead (exciter lamp)plays back with very poor results, IE: High noise over signal.
The early infra-red or non visible led sources are poor quality too, high noise low signal. The visible red leds are the best, with very little or no noise, and high signal level, however the signal is about 2 db lower than the high magenta or silver tracks (so far all pre-amps have had ample gain to compensate for this lower signal). I am going to be replacing several non-visible leds soon with visible reds to solve that problem, however I still have many customers with exciters and this test film demonstrates to them what will be happening to their sound soon!

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-17-2000 05:09 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The cyan/high-magenta agenda is NOT being phased in December 2000.

There is supposed to be limited testing of cyan tracks in early 2001 but on a VERY controlled basis. Even that isn't definate. There has also been a report of a possible studio support of a wider release.

There is NO drop-dead date on cyan tracks and in fact they may NEVER happen and are measurably and audibly inferior to their redeveloped counterparts.

High-magenta tracks on the other hand are in wide use. They do degrade both exciter lamp based and infrared based readers down to the visable red reader level. Thats right, it isn't that the red led does so well with the high-magenta when compared to the other forms, it just helps red readers compete on noise and distortion. You gotta admire people that push a system that degrades performance. I was working a premier with Artisan pictures and they informed me that they don't like the response of the high-magenta tracks and had their prints restruck with conventional tracks (this was sometime in early August of 2000, I forget the title).

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2000 05:47 PM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve writes: "A system that degrades performance"

-What about our common child of heart, 70mm ?
I sure did find it difficult, having to explain to people, that 3 front chanels - with dialogue from center only - should be better than 5 discrete ch's up there.
-goes for Dolby 70mm in common - Lawrence and other (othervise distinguised) restored versions in specific. -Opinions, please...

All this red light business - what is Your experience with old-old (b&w) prints on these readers...?

Per Hauberg

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-17-2000 07:43 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Degrading, perhaps a tad bit. But overall I wouldn't want to be the dealer/technician caught with his pants down that has told his customers not to change over to RED LED's if someone at the top DOES decide to go the Cyan route in a hurry for some strange reason. Since the RED LED will playback every CURRENTLY produced sound track its the wisest way to head at this point in time. Also the advantage and benefits of the reverse scan system in itself far out weighs the slight problems that the RED LED used with it introduces. Too many people make a big deal out of it. After all, at important locations we run digital MOST of the time now anyway so the very slight degradation that the RED LED introduces is not really much of a factor in everyday playback. Those that playback analog only will ultimately have little choice of what to do. There are really only two choices..... a RED LED reverse scanner, or the JAX light replacement for the exciter lamp. Nothing else reliable has been developed that will work.

As far as old track playback stands there are several that the RED LED will not satisfactorally play back. Certain unilateral tracks, certain variable density tracks will not playback or only marginally. There is a simple way to overcome that problem. That is by illuminating the sound track with a high intensity incandescent halogen lamp and having a RED dichroic filter that can be moved in or out of the sound track illuminating beam. This easily eliminates the RED LED problems. Also switching built into the preamp to make the source look mono is important for proper playback of these old tracks.

As far as 70mm tracks go and the restored films stand. In my opinion a film should never be changed from its original format except as when done by the dorector as in the case of LOA. Its that simple. As nice as panned dialog is it would simply present too many problems in cinemas today if done on a huge scale.
Mark

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2000 11:29 PM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, according to the 'implementation guide to cyan dye soundtracks' info from Eastman Kodak, and my knowlege of SMPTE work along these lines, the cyan tracks WILL be here very soon! Not to mention the governments actions to eliminate silver. The main thing is, as long as there is film...the red light will come into use, and I as a technician and supplier, do not want several hundred clients calling all at once when the first release print hits their theatres! I am sure John at Kodak can also shed a timeline on this...

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2000 01:38 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
As far as old track playback stands there are several that the RED LED will not satisfactorally play back. Certain unilateral tracks, certain variable density tracks will not playback or only marginally. There is a simple way to overcome that problem. That is by illuminating the sound track with a high intensity incandescent halogen lamp and having a RED dichroic filter that can be moved in or out of the sound track illuminating beam. This easily eliminates the RED LED problems. Also switching built into the preamp to make the source look mono is important for proper playback of these old tracks.

How about a penthouse Red LED reader feeding a delay, for rep houses?

------------------
William Hooper
Junk drawer: http://www.geocities.com/hollywood/theater/3622
Theatre Empire: http://members.xoom.com/saenger.1

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-18-2000 08:42 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A delay line would be more degrading, and more expensive than a simple change of the light source and a flip of a switch to turn the scanner into a mono signal source.
Mark

Stefan Scholz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2000 10:56 AM      Profile for Stefan Scholz   Author's Homepage   Email Stefan Scholz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been playing different films on a laser based red light pickup system, which is a third alternative not mentioned above.
I encountered either with Klangfilm-Tobis, Movietone, Magenta Movietone or Photophone recording any problem. The sound quality in overall was enhanced, as the S/N with older, scratched prints was superior to the tungsten lamp pickup.
I recently installed a Kibnotone projector in our booth with their retro-scan solution. It also workes well, but I assume due to inferior audio circuitry design (cell mismatched load) on the preamp board it degrades the analog sound with certain older tracks.
I hope to overcome this by eliminating the circuitry. My processor has sufficient gain reserves to do so. (ADSG)

Bill Purdy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2000 11:18 AM      Profile for Bill Purdy   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Purdy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you will scroll down the page to the topic "Audio Tracks" and look at John Pytlak's posting you will see the latest official statement on the change to dye tracks. This announcement was made at ShowEast last week and further supported for me in my conversation with Ioan Allen.

------------------
Bill Purdy
Component Engineering

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-18-2000 02:24 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Stefan,
If its the Laser Light from Japan that you are using be sure to keep a spare in the booth. They have lots of problems. several distributers here in the states stopped selling them.
Best,
Mark@GTS

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-19-2000 09:50 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The swiss made laser is vastly superior to many other red sources as it doesn't exhibit the sparkle problems due to the coherent light issue of reverse scan units
It uses an anamorphic lens to decolminate the laser and produce a very narrow slit
I was very impressed with the homework that walter had done in ensuring every machine (even obscure ones) had been desgined for
Also the test units have been in use for over 3 years and the Achain level has not drifted at all (after cleaning the slit optics with a cuetip)

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-19-2000 01:12 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How much does it cost?
Mark

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-19-2000 07:18 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lets see...

Per: I don't think anyone on this forum will deny 70mm's virtues and I'm sure there are several threads that speak about it so I don't want to repeat all of that stuff here.

As to the older films and B/W tracks. The red reader is inferior to the white light based systems. The red light system (as it stands now) is also somewhat noiser, especially with scuffed tracks. In Archival houses, we are not switching them to red readers as of yet. In those houses that do run older/archival films that have been switched to red (LED) based readers because of digital sound or projector upgrade, we have been burned, or should I say, the audience has been burned in every case by either near non readability or nasty scratching noises (scuffed track).

Mark:

I wouldn't wan't to be the dealer that scares his customers over, for what now appears to be, a bunch of agenda ridden hooey. Have you had to change out any of the LEDs yet? Wait for the happy face when they find out the price for those little jewels (installed). The type of change you are talking about hasn't and isn't going to happen on an overnight basis, unless the EPA sets a date. Not only haven't they set any date, they haven't even got this issue on the plate yet, and no indication that it is eminant. Telling someone to buy a red reader right now, or else, is simply a scare tactic by the folks with the agenda and the money to make.

Now if, on the otherhand, that red reader is coming along for the ride on a reverse scan reader, ok then. The gain in pickup quality (improved frequency response, separation, dolby tracking...etc) out weighs the noise, even in my opinion. Of course, an IR LED will also work with reverse scan and have better quality than the red LED will. A white light source with a reverse scan will have the best yet if non-collimated. I am merely referring to getting a red reader of any type at any cost to beat a phantom date.

When we get the red light source to the point where light scratches and scuffs don't scratch up the sound would lets talk about conversion to cyan...AFTER sufficient testing to show all of it's problems that will need to be dealt with....please no more polyester suprises.

As it has been explained to me by those that have looked into filtering white light for a red light, it doesn't work. Jack Cashin could explain better because he has tried it. As a joke at ShowEast, I brought in a typical GE (crappy) exciter lamp that I quickly colored Red with a Marks-A-Lot...scared a couple of the red light vendors, mostly got laughs though...Jack liked it!

John Eickhof:

I am a member of the SMPTE and on the P-3 committee and I started to take Mr. Allen to task over the cyan track agenda, to which Eastman Kodak is part. The information by Kodak on the cyan track is propoganda laiden and keeps changing, first it was 80% conversion to red light before pushing for cyan now it is 60% (it appears that they didn't get their mark) plus if you read carefully, the bolster cyan's merits but shy away from it's problems and cloud it with misinformation such as the high-magenta track making the red reader superior to other types (it still isn't). As to the government's actions to eliminate the silver...what action? If there was, it would be a rather cut and dried issue...the EPA would say you must stop making redeveloped optical tracks by such and such a date, and everybody converts by then...simple (use Freon as an example) but when I querried Mr. Allen about this possibility, the EPA hasn't even got the redeveloped track in their sights yet! So your statement of "cyan tracks WILL be here very soon!" can't really be backed up by fact. Just opinion and guessing.

William Hooper:

You actually pose a very interesting proposition and one that might be interesting to pursue. The quality of digital delays can be quite good. Kinoton is using one for their 16mm sound on their FP-38 series of projectors and it is some of the best 16mm sound I have ever heard.

Another problem that Mr. Allen presented while discussing the red readers is that our once standard sound offset seems to be wandering...Look at your typical basement reader system, if you have digital, the optical pick up has probably been moved to increase the delay to the point of possibly being objectionable, depending on your projector and reader manufacturer plus your auditorium length.

Stefan Scholz:

I personally have had miserable results with the laser scanners as used on the Ernaman. Some have noted high failure rate (I must admit, I have already replaced one unit that was less than a month old) but I have found them to have a horible response, poor light uniformity and lead to poor 2:4 mistracking. I have not tried them on old/scuffed films so I can't comment on their response there.

If you look at the companies behind the cyan track thing, you will find that there is big money to be made by it. Mr. Allen of Dolby labs just happens to be the biggest supplier of these little LEDs for the world...they would have a better lock than GE did on exciter lamps. Obviously USL is pushing cyan tracks since they have the relatively cheap Jaxlight, Folks from Kelmar and Component Engineering are OEM suppliers for new projectors and retrofits for many others. What's left are the laser light people (a comparatively small number). When you read the propoganda about the cyan tracks look at the sources and realize they have a lot to gain financially.

Who really gains by cyan tracks other than those listed above? Certainly the labs who can skip steps associated with redevelopment. Film manufacturers that would like to see their product remain as inexpensive to deal with as possible to prolong it's useful life as movie media. The silver in the release prints do make for a disposal problem. But here is the problem, the people that gain (financially), are not the ones expected to do the paying. How much do the labs and studios think they will save by eliminating the silver tracks before any legislation? If it is a lot, then, in the same vane as with our public schools, lets have the labs and film manufacturers pool together and come up with a voucher system (sorry, it's an election year) to get all of the exhibitors to get their red light sources...there are now several,comparatively, low-cost systems out there (Jaxlight, BACP's reader, CE's new 40 series readers and I'm sure there are others) all knocking in the same price range (heck Dolby gets a cut in 2 out of 3 of those). The labs/film manufacturers get a one-time pain and everyone wins after that, except the paytrons, of course, they still get a noiser sound track than they might have otherwise had;-) Oh, and I am sure with these BIG cost savings by the labs, we can expect to see release print prices to come way-way down! (I'm sure the exhibitors can count the savings now!);-) Then again, the exhibitors will probably just get to keep paying and paying.

I say, continue developing the cyan track as a precautionary move, keep improving the LEDs and other red light sources as well as improving the lensing used (new faster lenses reduce the light needed and lengthen the LED's life and are being implemented by several of the manufacturers). This is simply NOT the time to force the issue. The red light is too young and the cyan track is still not sufficently tested. I have been in converstation with one of the studios already and they are not behind the cyan track, at the moment.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-19-2000 07:30 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No Steve,
I'm not talking about scareing our customers at all. Many still do not have it, and I won't force it on them either. But they have all been told that the conversion will happen sooner or later and that there is much to be gained by installing the reverse system now.

When I say RED LED Scanner I mean LED reverse scanner. Anything else is a waste of money. IMHO the inferior JAX lights and Laserlights don't even enter into the picture of things. They are a very poor alternative. With the new C.E. scanner kits out the JAX light makes absolutely no sense at all, even form a cost standpoint. We'll have to wait and see how the new Swiss laser scanner does before I can pass any judgement. It may well be the best available.

Mark@GTS
P.S. The RED LED's alone generally sell for around 150.00 retail for those that do not know.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: