Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » RAIDERS with the NEW PRINT for 89th Anniversary (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: RAIDERS with the NEW PRINT for 89th Anniversary
Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2000 08:39 PM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On October 27-28-29 my theatre - the Elks Theatre in Middletown Pennsylvania - will celebrate 89 YEARS OF CONTINUOUS OPERATION (Opened Oct 1911) with special showings of "Raiders of the Lost Ark". I am told that this is the only NEW PRINT in existence (struck this summer for use with the Cinemax Cable TV traveling outdoor festival along with Top Gun). It is a standard Dolby A print makeup.

I had planned to do this for the theatre's 90th anniversary next year but with four new plexs in the area I am not sure how long we will survive.

You are all invited. Come sit in the balcony....yes a real balcony (the original stadium seating!). We have a special area reserved for the projectionist community. For those of you youngsters we will also demonstrate how a changeover booth works!

|  IP: Logged

Wade Brashers
Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2000 09:31 PM      Profile for Wade Brashers   Email Wade Brashers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My theater is booked for Raiders this friday (Regal Warrington 22- about 30 miles N. of Philly) I hope we get that print (or at least a good one)

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-18-2000 09:03 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ran "Raiders" on New Years Eve. It was an unbelievably high quality wet gate print that looked like it was being projected off of 70mm. It was also Dolby A.
Mark@GTS

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 10-18-2000 04:55 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad said somewhere that he has seen a new SRD version. Maybe that's the one you should be getting.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-18-2000 05:50 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is Raiders being booked directly thru Paramount, or is someone else handling it? Or is it Paramount Classics? I wanna play it!

Wade Brashers
Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2000 05:54 PM      Profile for Wade Brashers   Email Wade Brashers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SRD? I hope I can get that instead of the HORRIBLE copy I got today, they should use this print as an example of what not do do with a film (print #81 from the philadelphia depot) edge markings bleeding all over the frames, 6-10 reference frames with double and triple tapings, scotch tape all over it to fix edge damage. Picture completely red and faded with a slight vinegar smell...

Supposedly we are getting a replacement print tommorow so we don't have to show this.

Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2000 07:12 PM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to my Paramount rep there are no digital prints of Raiders in existence at this time.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 10-20-2000 02:19 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I knew Brad was just teasing me. No, really...he wasn't the only one who mentioned it.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-20-2000 05:17 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
From what I understand (I say that because I have not actually held the print in my hand), there was apparently ONE Dolby digital print made and it is NOT for rental at this time.

Now if everyone would get together and book the film through Paramount repertory, I'll bet more would be made. It's a great film and always does fantastic business.

Harry Robinson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2000 08:55 AM      Profile for Harry Robinson   Email Harry Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I posted on another thread that our local Regal ran Raiders for a week without any advertising. They didn't even have posters out front, and it still did great business.

What are some other titles that we know would pull people in?

Wade Brashers
Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2000 12:36 PM      Profile for Wade Brashers   Email Wade Brashers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>>>Now if everyone would get together and book the film through Paramount repertory, I'll
bet more would be made. It's a great film and always does fantastic business.<<<

appearantly that is being done because according to the guy I talked to at ETS they sent me the crappy print because they didn't have any others.

Print #2 wasn't much better dispite being labeled "Raiders of the Lost Arc SR Digital" No, it wasn't digital, it was a scratched Dolby A.... litterally the soundtrack had a scratch on it on reel 4, made a nice buzzing sound for about 10 minutes.

Hopefully next week we will get a decent print of Temple of Doom but I've never heard of any re-release for that so I'm not holding my breath...

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 10-21-2000 06:07 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>>Hopefully next week we will get a decent print of Temple of Doom but I've never heard of any re-release for that so I'm not holding my breath...<<

...and you never will, either. It's not very high on Mr Spielbergs resume. In fact he once said he HAD to make Last Crusade to apologize for Temple.

Personally, I liked it a lot, but it was kind of dark for an Indy adventure.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-21-2000 06:20 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have 70mm prints available for all 3 of them here in Toronto

Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2000 10:35 AM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, we did get the new Raiders print in yesterday. While it had been run a couple of times the color and clarity are gorgeous! I think it must be a wet gate print. There were no scratches.

However it came from Techicolor which meant that......

1) Several of the reels were broken and one would not stay together at all.

2) There were no bands on any of the reels.

3) Several of the reels were not taped down (with the reels unspooling in the cans).

4) Other than the head of Reel #1 there were no leaders and tails on any of the reels.

5) There are no cue marks on any of the reels.

In other words .....just like the prints I get from Technicolor every week!

For a schedule of showings, see our website at www.elkstheatremiddletown.com.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-26-2000 11:42 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Jonathan,

There is no way that print could've come from Technicolor. Paramount does not use them. Check the cams and let us know. Also, what's the print number?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: