Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » what manner of creature is this?

Author Topic: what manner of creature is this?
Gracia L. Babbidge
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2000 11:36 PM      Profile for Gracia L. Babbidge   Author's Homepage   Email Gracia L. Babbidge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In a recent issue of Box Office magazine, one of my coworkers spotted an ad that made us both say 'huh?'

Digital Platters. (made by Speco)

I figured that this would be the best place to try to find out more information...
Has anyone here actually seen one of these in use? What makes them 'digital'? Are they a better platter system for being 'digital'?

~The Purple-Tressed Booth B*tch

------------------
In some cultures, what I do is considered normal.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-18-2000 01:54 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, that lovely word "digital". It just makes everything better, doesn't it? I can't wait for "digital toilet paper". Instead of coming on a roll that must be physically and mechanically unraveled, it will come fan folded, ala "digital". Yup, bs enough and ANYTHING can have the word "digital" on it!

Oh yeah, I don't personally know much about the new SPECOs, but I'll bet someone here does!

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2000 07:31 AM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That and "titanium", everything is "titanium" now. If you have something in a "digital titanium", well sir, you're on top of the heap!

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 10-18-2000 12:54 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably uses a microprocessor to control it's functions, speed, etc.

Dave Cutler
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2000 01:09 PM      Profile for Dave Cutler   Email Dave Cutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John is most likely correct. The newer Strong platters are digitally controlled. The payout speed, and the rewind speed are controlled with microprocessors. I would imaging that the SPECO's you saw advertised have a similar system.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-18-2000 02:00 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I read the original post, I had visions of a giant platter being used to deliver 2" quad videotape to an ancient 1960s VTR, which was being used to drive a DLP machine. I think that this is what would pass for the mad scientist's version of "digital cinema" and it would indeed look very impressive.

I need to get more sleep.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 10-18-2000 06:55 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a lot of fun with an audio salesman over the term; "digital speakers" once. The guy thought they "were" digital. I didn't even try to explain dynamic range to him.

Frank Prete
Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2000 03:35 AM      Profile for Frank Prete   Email Frank Prete   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try asking salepeople about the Flux Capacitance of a speaker!

(sorry to steal your gag David)

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-19-2000 06:46 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure the "digital" platter is the LP-280...aka the electronic platter.

It's method of speed control (for both payout and takeup) is a 7-bit gray-code sensor. As such, there never needs to be any speed adjustment. a "7" (or 111 binary) is full on and 0 (000 binary) is off. The other 5 positions are somewhere in between and plenty to have a reasonably smooth operation. The older LP-270 only had 3 positions on the payout and continiously variable on the take up.

I guess they term it digital since they are using 3-bit binary code to set the speeds.

Steve

Stefan Scholz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2000 09:19 AM      Profile for Stefan Scholz   Author's Homepage   Email Stefan Scholz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remembering the Ferrari Digital Grill. It was a portable electric BBQ device - truly digital. The switch had 2 positions 1 (On) 0 (OFF)- which made it digital. Nice Italien idea.

Colin Wiseley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2000 10:46 AM      Profile for Colin Wiseley   Email Colin Wiseley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've have an LP-280 in operation for almost a year now and haven't had a single problem with it or a center bind. The best thing I like about the digital features are that you can use it to check email.

------------------
Colin Wiseley
Lyric Theatre
Blacksburg, VA
www.thelyric.com

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2000 04:34 PM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't Digital Titanium projection gear come with a THX certificate...?
I mean, just to get ALL kinds of hot air into the same package

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: