Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Goldberg platter reel tips?

Author Topic: Goldberg platter reel tips?
Mike Colley
Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2000 05:00 PM      Profile for Mike Colley   Email Mike Colley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just received my new platter reel and I would like to know if anyone has any tips regarding the use of these foam strips that shipped with it? Anything to look out for when using this reel? Any tips at all would be appreciated.

------------------
Mike Colley
Regal Cinemas
Hollywood 24
Atlanta, GA

|  IP: Logged

Nic Margherio
Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2000 09:10 PM      Profile for Nic Margherio   Email Nic Margherio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you wrap the blue and grey foam strip around the back center ring, you will find that if fits perfectly around its circumference. Before you put together a print, wrap it around the ring. Its a little tricky at first but after some practice it becomes somewhat more easy. The reason you do this is to be able to take the black ring out of the print when it is lying on the platter. You simply remove the foam strip first, (be sure to leave an inch or so between where the ends meet so you can grip it) and then take the ring out. If you did not include the foam, it would be nearly impossible to remove the ring from the print.

The other lengths of foam I use as "snakes" to insert in running prints if I need to fix a splice or something. Doing this gives you some room to work and some extra slack in the wound print to remove any damaged film if neccesary.

Brad, any chance there is a manual for this thing that might be online soon? I sure would like a copy.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-19-2000 01:37 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't bother using the foam strips. Just don't go absolutely crazy with the backtension on the makeup table. The foam strips make the core a little bit off center and harder to inspect as you wind onto the reel. On my Kelmar table, I have the nut backed off to about 1/4 inch from the end of the shaft. Prints come off wound nice and tight, but the center ring can still be easily pulled.

Nic Margherio
Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2000 03:30 PM      Profile for Nic Margherio   Email Nic Margherio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just thought I would revive this thread to let Mike know that the manual for the Goldberg Brother's Platter Reel (or "Show Shipper") is now online in the Manuals section of this website.

Mike Colley
Film Handler

- posted 11-27-2000 06:38 AM      Profile for Mike Colley   Email Mike Colley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Nic! I'm not sure why Goldberg didn't ship this manual with the reel, but I've got the info now.

------------------
Mike Colley
Regal Cinemas
Hollywood 24
Atlanta, GA

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: