Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Sound cuts out at credit cue on DTS

Author Topic: Sound cuts out at credit cue on DTS
Carl King
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2000 09:06 PM      Profile for Carl King   Email Carl King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a strange thing going on with my two DTS6 ROM units. When the light cue hits at the start of the credits my sound format remains in Digital but I have no sound during the credits. This happens in two seperate units. Reason? Could it be the CDs themselves or is it the processor?

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-19-2000 01:35 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
What sound processor and does the sound processor itself stay in digital, or just the green led on the dts player?

Ari Nordström
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2000 04:05 AM      Profile for Ari Nordström   Email Ari Nordström   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I presume that the optical soundtrack contains more than silence?

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2000 10:48 AM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keep the lights down til the END of the movie!

Carl King
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2000 01:57 PM      Profile for Carl King   Email Carl King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes the optical track contains more than silence. The system stays in digital sound format , as indicated on the sound format card in the Ultra Stereo unit, but there is no digital sound. This is happening in two seperate units in two seperate auditoriums.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-19-2000 02:32 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
What has changed recently? This sort of thing won't just happen all of a sudden. Someone has changed something somewhere.

Dave Cutler
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2000 03:06 PM      Profile for Dave Cutler   Email Dave Cutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You say that the Ultra Stereo processor is still in digital, but is the DTS still playing? I would assume that it isn't. Have you actually watched this happen? You have been standing there when it cuts out? That way you can be sure that it is the cue that is stopping the DTS. If you can, try to run a different film in each auditorium, just to be safe.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-19-2000 05:58 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's probably a lights cue from some other theatre screwing things up. Does each system do it with one print only?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-20-2000 08:15 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there any possibility that the mute function on the USL is being engaged

Carl King
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2000 10:58 AM      Profile for Carl King   Email Carl King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon:

I did not think of the mute function. You may be correct. This happens with different prints and in different houses. It is not consistant but rather happens from time to time. Only this week is it happening in two houses at the same time. Could it be faulty discs?

Perhaps I should ask Karen at DTS.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-20-2000 06:02 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds to me like something flaky in the format card
Is there any possiblitie of a voltage feeding back into the automation lines (induced spikes etc) these could drive the format board or the VCA's into a altered state

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 10-20-2000 07:08 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just had a problem with a DTS today. It was a different problem but the solution was simple. It might apply to you.

Make sure all the connections to the back of the processor are good. There are two PC boards that attach to the back of the processor. Make sure they are all conected right and all the screws are all the way tight.

I spent 30 minutes noodling around with the dang thing and come to find out there was a loose connection!

Carl King
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2000 10:48 AM      Profile for Carl King   Email Carl King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In those two house I am now running two different prints in DTS. No problems now. The trouble must be in the CDs themselves.

I had a similar problem 3 yrs ago with the sound format not swithcing out at the shutdown resulting in a lot of noise as the tail leader ran through the machine. The DTS people provided me with a part number to order a small unit that attached to the back of the ROM unit. I can't remember what the part was called but once my tech guy installed it the problem stopped. The DTS folks said the problem was in the discs and that this part helps. It did.

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2000 08:36 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DTS puts all of the pops and thumping noises on the discs?

Isn't it strange that you have two separate movies that cut out at the same time the credit cue goes through? It would be very surprising to have two discs that quit reading right at the credits. Are these prints still running in DTS since you moved them? What kind of automations are in these 2 houses? Are they different than the other ones?

Rick

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: