Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » What's happened to my CP500???

Author Topic: What's happened to my CP500???
Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2000 08:42 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everyone, hope that someone can help me...

Yesterday with "I fiumi di porpora" (french title is something like "les rivieres pourpose" )I noted very strange thing on my Dolby CP500D.

The graphic levels of 6 channels on fron panel were freezed in one position. But the sound was OK in the auditorium and was Dolby Digital also when my CP500 said that it was Dolby SR... All cards were OK, no red leds.

Between two shows I reset the CP pushing the "reset" button on the main board. Then, all seem to be OK but few minutes later... same problem.

At the end of the day I turn off the CP500, wait few seconds and turn on again. I have a symbol of a discharge battery on the fron panel while loading (near the "Flash XXXX" message), and all was ok. I already saw that symbol: I've notice that after the diagnostic list is blank.
Today, I turned on the CP and house music and I started cleaning my projectors. After few minutes I looked the CP and was freezed.
Reset again (this time pushing the "bypass" botton behind the front panel) and all was fine again.
Now I'm showing the film but the CP is freezed again... When DD logo started I saw the led go from SK8 (a Dolby SR position) to SK4 (a Dolby Digital position) and immediately go back to SK8. I went in auditorium but it was clear that the trailer was played in DD.
This is not the first time that I have problems like that but every time a reboot was enough.

What can I do now???

Thanks!

Antonio

|  IP: Logged

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2000 09:28 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe you have old software in it?

Jon Bartow
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2000 12:30 PM      Profile for Jon Bartow   Email Jon Bartow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, what version of the software do you have? (It says right in the middle of the first screen [i.e. ver 1.61]) Also, do you have more than one unit so you could try switching around a card or two (try the motherboard first, power off of course)

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-29-2000 12:53 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
In regards to the software version, does the unit have an SA-10 EX decoder hooked up to it, or has it ever had one hooked up to it?

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2000 05:27 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My unit's software is 1.61 NO EX
It hasn't an SA-10 and it never had it.

This night I've tried to unlock and lock the mainboard and to push all cards and connectors...

Antonio

Ken Jacquart
Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2000 09:24 AM      Profile for Ken Jacquart   Author's Homepage   Email Ken Jacquart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Antonio,

The battery icon actually represents the charge on the 'super capacitor' on the Cat684 card. It provides power for remembering the last format and last fader setting. Normaly, this icon will not show itself unless the CP500 has been unplugged for a long period of time (many weeks). As far as your front panel freeze condition, this may be a problem with the Cat684 card. If re-seating the card did not work for you, try temporarily swapping with another while keeping in mind that the EQ settings are on that card.

Good Luck,
ken

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2000 05:26 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think to have resolved the problem.
I had a bad contact on changeover relais because when proj. 1 was running on CP500 the "P1" and "V1" projector icons on CP were blinking with "P2" and "V2" while there is a steady "P2" and "V2" when proj. 2 was running. I notice that CP500 freezed when P1 started.
I checked the contacts of few plugs inside the proj.2 and the problem disappeared... Hope that now my CP500 will not freeze again...

Thanks to everyone has tryed to help me!

and sorry for my poor english

Antonio

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2000 01:42 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, It is now clear that the blinking of "P1" icon on fron panel of CP500 is causing that problem.
With the help of our tech (Cinemeccanica) I've disconnected the CP from the projectors and the blinking is already there.
Well, it depends... I've tried after the shows and the problem was disappeared, but befor first show (cold CP500) the problem is there.
However, the problem IS in the CP500 since I've also disconnected the "Motor start" plug, turned on the CP and the P1 was blinking (only with cold CP!)

I've notice that on Cat.670 when projector 1 is running then "p1" is lighted up but also "p2" is blinking (like the front panel); however on Cat.661 the "P1" led is lighted up but "P2" led is completely off when projector 1 is running...

Ok, our techs are advised, they will come in few days but if someone has any suggestions...

Thanks to everyone!!

Antonio

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: