Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Ballantyne motor wiring

Author Topic: Ballantyne motor wiring
William Dickson
Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2000 12:07 PM      Profile for William Dickson   Email William Dickson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just received a Ballantyne sync motor but know wiring diagram. There are 2 sets of three wires. The first set is labeled U1,U4,Z5. The other set is U2,U3,Z8. How do I wire this thing?

|  IP: Logged

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 11-04-2000 04:06 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Look on the back of the cover plate for the junction box where you found those wires. There ought to be a diagram on there. (I missed it the first time too!)

It's a 110v / 220v reversible motor. The reason it's like that is so you can choose what voltage and which direction it'll run. (Make damn well sure you have it going in the right direction!!)

I forget which numbers are which but, essentially, this is how it goes.
One wire is the "neutral", and two of the other ones go together to make the "hot". The three that are left over get all connected together. By swapping the wires around you get rotation direction and voltage settings.

Sorry I can only give the general idea. I forget the details unless I look at the wiring diagram. Once I see it I'll remember in a second or three.

I don't know how much you know about wiring and electricity and all that junk, so all I can say is that if you have ANY doubts about your ability whatsoever call your Tech. or somebody else who does know what they are doing. There are certain things even I won't do when it comes to electricity. Better safe than sorry!

Jon Bartow
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2000 12:44 PM      Profile for Jon Bartow   Email Jon Bartow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They are correct. The wireing diagram should be on the back of the coverplate. Make sure that the motor spins the correct way before replacing the belt. (Having just installed one of these on a Century, the wireing for a Century should be Counter-clockwise)

William Dickson
Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2000 07:41 PM      Profile for William Dickson   Email William Dickson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks a lot. I missed the diagram on the back of the plate. Once I saw that everything ran wonderfully.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 11-07-2000 10:29 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My first time out, I got the old one off and couldn't find the diagram and had to call my tech. He walked up to the bench where I had it laying and flipped over the cover and there it was! He called me a dumb-ass and walked out the door!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: